Silverline 'Silverstorm' Rotary Polisher 1200w - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

chris983

Silverline 'Silverstorm' Rotary Polisher 1200w

Hi I am looking at buying this product but can anybody give advice on what pads to have for putting the polish on and what ones to use for buffing off? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
If you're prepared to spend a bit of cash on a nice pad and backing plate combo I highly reccomend the 3M 5" spongy backing plate (around 23 quid) and either Chemical Guys hexlogic (£9 each) or 3m Waffle pads (£7-11 each). The backing plate makes the rotray easier to control and is safer than cheaper items (it flexs over contours) and the pads keep thing cool

Wipe the residue off with high quality MF's , I reccomend Gtechniq (as usual ) MF's @ just over a quid they're excellent value for money but remember to fold the edges up away from the paint or you could just buy a slighly more expensive mf with no edges to avoid marring.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
I have the 3M pads aswell. Theres a store called Auto Brite Direct who stock them. Where are you buying the machine, cyc.co.uk? Im liking the look of the Chem Guys pads mind!
Heres a great guide that i recommend you read....

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ypolishing.pdf

Hope this helps, Phil
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
I have the 3M pads aswell. Theres a store called Auto Brite Direct who stock them. Where are you buying the machine, cyc.co.uk? Im liking the look of the Chem Guys pads mind!
Heres a great guide that i recommend you read....

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ypolishing.pdf

Hope this helps, Phil

Is that what you use on your BBQ ... as it seems to be shinyer than your car
chris983

Phil thanks for PM before oh and seen it on google shopping search available at a few places for the same price. Seems to have a good write up plus was not up for paying over 100 notes

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
Is that what you use on your BBQ ... as it seems to be shinyer than your car
Maybe in the future! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris983 View Post
Phil thanks for PM before oh and seen it on google shopping search available at a few places for the same price. Seems to have a good write up plus was not up for paying over 100 notes
No probs mate, £100......
Silverline Rotary Polisher
AO Silver Member

One thing a few have mentioned about this machine is that you have to keep your finger on the button continuously whereas the Kestrel Sim 180 has a switch lock.

Last edited by GIZTO29; 03-06-10 at 19:27.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
One thing a few have mentioned about this machine is that you have to keep your finger on the button continuously whereas the Kestrel Sim 180 has a switch lock.
That sound like a PITA. I prefer my Sim 180 to the 9227 and my old rupes polisher, it came as a massive surprise to me becuse it was bought as a spare and now my makita is the spare!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,500RPM View Post
That sound like a PITA. I prefer my Sim 180 to the 9227 and my old rupes polisher, it came as a massive surprise to me becuse it was bought as a spare and now my makita is the spare!
Well, theres been an advance and after reading this thread and listening to the 'rotarians' (thats paul and other guys name for it on cyc ive been sucked in by it all and low and behold.......came across this deal!
Good deal on a Silverline??? - Detailing World
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...her+&x=13&y=15
£30.86 for the Silverline with free delivery! Needless to say ive bought one I dont want to be paying any more considering the price of my G220 and its limited use so far but im defo getting a bonnet in. Im gonna give it more time as its something im very interested in. By the time i got my G220 i did a friends MR2 then the MiTo but then the bad weather came. Just wish i had a garage! Apparently you can put a rubber band on the button.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Just found this post, my silverstorm arrived today. The CYC.co.uk website recommends changing the pad and backing plate, can anyone recommend a good pad/polish combo for beginners?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC-25 View Post
Just found this post, my silverstorm arrived today. The CYC.co.uk website recommends changing the pad and backing plate, can anyone recommend a good pad/polish combo for beginners?
Any flexible backing plate, they're usually 20/25mm thick with a bit of foam between the plate and the velcro. Choose the plate you want and we'll reccomend pads to suit. For what it's worth, I prefer the 3M 125mm backing plate and i only use Chemical Guys Hexlogic ans 3M waffle pads (and Serious performance finishing pads for applying glazes/ cleaner waxes on the DA)

@Phil, you'll love the rotary and they're not as dangerous as some people will have you believe. The rubber band on the button is a brilliant idea You need PO85RD or Megs 205 now
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Any flexible backing plate, they're usually 20/25mm thick with a bit of foam between the plate and the velcro. Choose the plate you want and we'll reccomend pads to suit. For what it's worth, I prefer the 3M 125mm backing plate and i only use Chemical Guys Hexlogic ans 3M waffle pads (and Serious performance finishing pads for applying glazes/ cleaner waxes on the DA)

@Phil, you'll love the rotary and they're not as dangerous as some people will have you believe. The rubber band on the button is a brilliant idea You need PO85RD or Megs 205 now
Well, guess what ive had since Nov 2009.....Menz 203S, RD85 & 106FA. Oh and i have a 250ml sample of #205 from Autobrite Direct. No rubber band though I have 3M Ultr fina aswell. Yellow and Blue 3M pads in both sizes and a few Flexipad finishing pads in 5 & 3". I have the Menz full set of pads inc spot pads but may be selling them as theyre rock hard and woirry me slightly I havnt used them yet though. Ive been following pjgh and his love of rotary on cyc and just felt i had to give it a whirl. Have to say im likin the look of the CG pads but thats between us as if i mention one more thing my lass will strangle me!
Phil
AO Silver Member

I haven't tried the Menz pads yet. I may be interested in them if you fancy selling them and buying the hexlogic pads..... I like hard pads on the DA
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I haven't tried the Menz pads yet. I may be interested in them if you fancy selling them and buying the hexlogic pads..... I like hard pads on the DA
At the minute my mate has them along with my G220 and ive asked him if he wants to buy them and hes agreed. The reason for this is i loaned him them when they were still in the bag brand new to correct his 320 D but hes had the lot inc Lime Prime and Einszette Gummi for yonks now so i offered to sell him them as i think they may be too hard for the MiTo. Watch this space.....
AO Silver Member

My Silverline arrived today . It seems like a decent machine and time will tell if the lack of switch lock will bother me. Its got a slow start up feature and the speed dial is well positioned right on top near where your thumb goes. Have to say even at 3 it seems pretty damn fast. Its quite heavy but then so is my G220. I would imagine the weight of the machine is enough when in operation.
I just need to get a backing plate now which is nearly the same price as the machine for the 3M one! Just need a bonnet now to get practicing
For the record i got mine from Amazon for £30 with free del!
Silverline Silverstorm® 129659 180mm Sander Polisher: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Phil
AO Silver Member

Great price The flexible backing plates make a huge difference to using a rotray you have made the right decision by purchasing one.

When practicing with a rotary start off with a finishing polish because these tend to fight and heat up less than compounds. You'll get the hang of it in no time
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Great price The flexible backing plates make a huge difference to using a rotray you have made the right decision by purchasing one.

When practicing with a rotary start off with a finishing polish because these tend to fight and heat up less than compounds. You'll get the hang of it in no time
Damn right mate! It'll be a finishing pad and Lime Prime 1st i reckon or Menz 85RD FF. I like the way it starts up and seems well made, a true steal by the looks of it and loads on DW have bought them. Apparently it has a constant RPM feature which is normally found on more expensive machines...
Phil
AO Silver Member

Really? You have no excuses now then
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Really? You have no excuses now then
Aye, i believe it stops it bogging down, Cant wait to try it.....once i tell Claire i need a backing plate..... Ive just had to buy MW2 map pack and the camera is looming! She bloody kill me
AO Silver Member

She'll be grand, buy her flowers or a new ironing board. Women love ironing
AO Silver Member

Quote:
She'll be grand, buy her flowers or a new ironing board. Women love ironing
Maybe i could 'polish' her clothes for some brownie points
AO Silver Member

PVC clothes?

I'm beginning to like her

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
1200w , ilverstorm , polisher , rotary , silverline

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page