Scratch repairs... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 28-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

147 2lt TS Lusso

Scratch repairs...

I've mentioned before that when I brought my 147, there was an area on the lower front bumper which had a mess of fine scratches, in a certain light (like how it was when I inspected the car) they were very hard to see, but once it starts getting dirty it got a lot more visible.

Anyway, today I had someone out to fix it. (along with repairing the car park dents in the drivers door and touching up the stone chips.) Turned out that the chap that came today only does the paint, and there will be a 2nd visit for the dents next week.

As for the paint, I was expecting them to just buff out the scratches but apparently it was all the way through so it had to be sprayed.
And what a mess they have made of it, looks a lot worse now than before they started!
I have attached a photo which shows it off fairly well below, there are two problems.

The area under the left hand circle is very very matt finish, with no metalic flakes at all. this area is miles away from where the scratches were....

The area under the right hand circle looks like primer which hasnt properly been painted over.

Finally there is a long white scratch on the inner edge of the fog light recess which I am certain wasnt there before. And no attempt was made at fixing the stone chips.

Whats most annoying is that the same company repaired a big scratch in Mothers MX5's boot (similar colour and to my eye looked a lot worse) here they did a really good job (hence me letting them loose on the 147). In the end it was a different person who came to do the work on mine......

I'm really cross with all this as I've been looking forward to getting this lot sorted, so that I can give the car a clay & get to work with the polish. Now it looks like there is an even longer wait to get it sorted. Most annoying they can only do it in office hours, so I left the car at home and got mother to sort it out, So no opportunity to check the quality of work before they left.
Will be calling the company tomorrow and getting them to come round and rectify it asap!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg messed up paint.jpg (77.3 KB, 39 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
The areas circled will need resprayed, insist that they wetsand and buff after spraying and that will remove the matt look from the paint. The matt finish looks like a spray can finish so I'm guessing it's down to actually using a rattle can or the air pressure was set wrong on their spray gun.

One more thing, is that overspray on your foglight? If so have that removed too.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Probably would have polished out too...
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire
Incidentally, what grade of wet and dry do you need for these repairs?
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by icetsunami View Post
Incidentally, what grade of wet and dry do you need for these repairs?
2000 or finer. The finer the grade the longer it will take to remove the orange peel/ a high spot from a touch-in but it will then require less effort to remove the sanding haze with a cutting compound.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
repairs , scratch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page