Getting rid of dealer stickers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 22-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

147 2lt TS Lusso

Getting rid of dealer stickers

Having just got back in from giving the 147 a clean, I'm getting increasingly annoyed with the dealer's sticker in the back window.
Mostly because I am still rather *****d off with the dealer I brought the car from, and certainly dont want to be driving around giving them free advertising. Not to mention that it looks rubbish.

Any tips for getting rid of it (and the inevitable marks which will be left on the glass as a result)?

I am a little concerned that the sticker goes over one of the demister elements which I dont want to damage.

As for the clean, having cleaned all the surfaces getting rid of a couple of small marks on the dash and some dirty switches where it wasnt cleaned properly before sale, very pleased. Using a small brush to get the dust out of the vents that has been annoying me for the past week was also a big plus...
Still have a small mark on the hazard lights switch which looks like a chip in the red paint, will have to change it some time I think!

Will be giving it another wash and a first attempt at claying tonight I think!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unregistered

County: Gwynedd

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

Let me guess, MANGOLETSI in white, across the window??

If so, snap.

I always mean to do it but I'm used to it now so it goes unoticed lol.
AO Platinum Member

Methylated or white spirits will loosen it up so it comes of easily and then use them to get any old glue off the glass, works a treat
(Post Link) post #4 of 26 Old 22-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

147 2lt TS Lusso

Thanks for the tip on the white spirit, a day sat in the sun had softened the sticker so it peeled away very easily. The white spirit made short work of the resultant sticky stuff, followed by some window cleaning type stuff to get rid of the residue.

The sticker in question was a rather large oval affair belonging to the local independent dealer who sold me it, a very good dealer at hiding all the paint imperfections (the only chance to look at the car in sun light was after the test drive when I was pressured into going straight into the office (my own stupid fault for not insisting), not to mention the single key, squeaking suspension (which you can only hear if there is no passenger in the car!) and what appears to be light washers which dont work! Oh and to top it all the useless *****rs still havent returned my service log book yet!

Very glad that I will no longer be reminded of them ever time I open my boot! Must remember next time I buy a car to make sure that 'no rubbish dealer sitckers' is inserted as a clause in the sales contract!
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

should just peel off then some AG fastglass should clean it up nicely
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire1500 View Post
a day sat in the sun had softened the sticker so it peeled away very easily.
Heat is a better way of removing the actual sticker than using solvents. I usually use warm water, just pour it on the outside of the window and then peel it off.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Angle grinder? try a hairdryer to warm the glue then peel off.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Giulia

Oil based glue dissolves using wd40. Sometimes it's a little easier to get hold of quickly than meths/white spirit and it's a little kinder to the surface underneath.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GT JTD

I think it is easier to get the stealer to take it off!!

The stealer I got mine from has their name and number printed on the bottom of the number plate and they still had the cheek to put a sticker in the window!!!!!
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage

Member car:

Giulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
I think it is easier to get the stealer to take it off!!

The stealer I got mine from has their name and number printed on the bottom of the number plate and they still had the cheek to put a sticker in the window!!!!!
£3.20 for a pair of new legal number plates (with euro logo or not) off Ebay, no documentation required. But put your old plates on before you sell it otherwise people tend to think it's been in an accident!

County: Lancashire

Member car:

car

Wave Here is an easy tip

Hi!, You can apply the solvents, such as alcohol, acetone, nail polish remover, on the sticker, with the help of cotton or a paper towel. Rub this till the sticker soaks some amount of solvent, and wait for sometime. Now, try to scrape the sticker. Since, the adhesive of the sticker is dissolved, it can be removed easily. You should cover the adjoining areas with the help of paper, so that the solvent that is to be used for removing the sticker does not harm the neighboring areas.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 650
County: Leicestershire
I took my stealer dicker off .....only so i could replace with the alfaowner.com one
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddersgt View Post
I took my stealer dicker off .....only so i could replace with the alfaowner.com one

I was thinking the same thing, where do I get one, I didn't spot them on the classified. Then again my eye is usually drawn to bright sparkly things, I put it down to being a Magpie in a previous life
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

156 GTA, Boxster

I believe that it is a legal requirement to have the suppliers name on your number plates

Taken from theplatemarket.com

Quote:
What's the British Standard for number plates?
The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics of the number plate. This includes visibility, strength and reflectivity.

The British Standard also requires each number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with the following information:

The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
The name, trademark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier (The company that made the plate)
Name and postcode of the supplying outlet.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage

Member car:

Giulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewl View Post
Hi!, You can apply the solvents, such as alcohol, acetone, nail polish remover, on the sticker, with the help of cotton or a paper towel. Rub this till the sticker soaks some amount of solvent, and wait for sometime. Now, try to scrape the sticker. Since, the adhesive of the sticker is dissolved, it can be removed easily. You should cover the adjoining areas with the help of paper, so that the solvent that is to be used for removing the sticker does not harm the neighboring areas.
How do the solvents soak into the plastic??? When I did this all it did was remove the graphics off the plastic. The clear strip stuck fast.

Surely to get at the adhesive you need to take the sticker itself off first???
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage

Member car:

Giulia

There's a big difference between the name of the dealer and the postcode of the number plate manufacturer!

County: Surrey
Hi Guys,
It is a legal requirement, to have the dealers post code on the bottom of the plates.
The stickers we use, are not the sticky, sticky one's you can peel ours off as long as they havnt been on the car for twenty years.

Sarah
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage

Member car:

Giulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allams Alfa View Post
Hi Guys,
It is a legal requirement, to have the dealers post code on the bottom of the plates.
The stickers we use, are not the sticky, sticky one's you can peel ours off as long as they havnt been on the car for twenty years.

Sarah
Isn't this just for numberplates you make up? Otherwise, if I needed a replacement number plate I would have to go back to the dealer who supplied the car.

My (current) numberplates have the name and postcode of the establishment that made up the number plates on them which, as I understand it is spot on.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA, Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypj View Post
Isn't this just for numberplates you make up? Otherwise, if I needed a replacement number plate I would have to go back to the dealer who supplied the car.

My (current) numberplates have the name and postcode of the establishment that made up the number plates on them which, as I understand it is spot on.
That's what my earlier post says - I took it to mean that either the dealer OR manufacturer of the plates information was required. Usually the dealer makes up plates when selling a vehicle so they are the supplier of the component or if you get them made up by another supplier their details should be on it

It all comes down to how 'on the ball' your police force are - some stop cars for illegal plates some don't seem to bother!

Last edited by mymito10; 13-06-10 at 12:43. Reason: typo
AO Member

County: Kent
I removed all the sticker's off my Mito as soon as i got the car, even removed the numberplate surrounding as it said the dealers name on them! hate free advertising like that! I used white spirt.
AO Silver Member

County: -
I don't think the police are too bothered about the postcode on numberplates yet becuse most cars were registered before this law came in (I think it was two years ago), I don't think they can fine you for somebody else's mistake.
Nev

As others have already pointed out, I think it's now law that the plates must
have the name/contact of the supplier of the plate on them.
(Is here and it sounds like a EU style rule.)

Best not to get any replacement plate from the likes of Halfords then.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA, Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
As others have already pointed out, I think it's now law that the plates must
have the name/contact of the supplier of the plate on them.
(Is here and it sounds like a EU style rule.)

Best not to get any replacement plate from the likes of Halfords then.
I think that when you buy from Halfords their details are printed on the plate too
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymito10 View Post
I think that when you buy from Halfords their details are printed on the plate too
Yes exactly, do you want "HALFORDS" marked on your plates...?

paintergirl

The only stickers we've ever removed were those horrible, huge, bright yellow Arnie Clark's ones If they were a tad smaller and less IN YOUR FACE they might have stayed!

I actually put a County Motors sticker on to my 147 as I was so pleased with the service they gave and was happy to promote their business even though I bought the car from another (less helpful) firm.

Spidey has only a mass of AO and AROC stickers on him - there really isn't room for anything else And my numberplates have my web address on (bought off ebay) rather than a postcode

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
dealer , rid , stickers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page