What's a good wax? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 90 Old 01-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Corsa & Mito

What's a good wax?

I'm assembling all the gear I need to give my Mito a good clean (so far I have a lambswool mitt, two buckets, Halfords car shampoo, a tire brush, a hose and a microfibre cloth) and wasn't sure what wax to get? So any suggestions would be helpful. Also what do I need to apply the wax? Thanks.

Last edited by Zammo76; 01-05-10 at 08:58.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Giulietta

What kind of budget are you thinking of matey?
(Post Link) post #3 of 90 Old 01-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Corsa & Mito

Hmm about 20.
AO Gold Member

County: Carlow
Auto Glym Super Resin Polish..
Unregistered

County: Gwynedd

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

I use the megs 3 step wax, usually every three months or so. In the mean time, I use the AG aqua wax as a top up.

I only do approx 100 miles a week so the the GT doesn't get that much muck on it anyway.

AG HD wax (I think) is meant to give good results, but I think it's more expensive and if your not an OTT detailer and never really done this before, it would be best to start with the cheaper range of products so you don't waste good products whilst on the learning curve.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zammo76 View Post
Hmm about 20.
If you go on ebay you can get some Collinite 915 for about 22, awesome stuff especially on dark coloured cars Other than that Collinite 476 (12-15) gets good reports but is harder work apparently
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

You can apply with a sponge applicator, microfibre or your hands if you really want. Then just buff off with a clean microfibre
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham

Member car:

GTA Shed wagon

I use Megs 3 stage in the summer and Collinite 476 in the winter as it lasts a good deal longer than most
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonfalls View Post
Auto Glym Super Resin Polish..
Erm....not a wax.

I suggest you visit a site like cleanyourcar.co.uk and check what is available. You might want to consider using a sealant instead of a wax for longevity.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
Erm....not a wax.

I suggest you visit a site like cleanyourcar.co.uk and check what is available. You might want to consider using a sealant instead of a wax for longevity.
Agreed to both statements
I think i mentioned this one to you in an earlier thread. Its a synthetic wax (sealant) and is bloody great! Its one of the most durable out there, it looks amazing and is great value for money. You cant tell in the pic but its truly huge the tin! I have a sample tin but was at a friends the other day and was staggered as to how big it actually is!
Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Sealant
This time of year it'll probs last till Nov if not longer and is great on wheels too.
Other than that can i recommend you use a cleanser 1st? A great one is CarLack NSC. Its an All In One and can be used as a base. The look of your car is all in the prep so you wont see much difference in various waxes but its important to get the paint clean first for knockout finishes. Heres a kit with the CarLack and Collinite 476 wax another mentioned with everything you need, applicators etc. Its also a great durable wax.
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/comple.../prod_408.html
If you fancy a few different ones Dodo Juice make 30ml Panel Pots http://www.dodojuice.com/dodo-juice-...car-waxes.html which have enough in to do your car a few times and a great place to get them is from the site ive linked or this sample company on Detailing World.
Detailing World
Ive just received an order with 2 of the very panels pots and they range from 5 - 15 depending on the wax. They make waxes for light cars, dark cars then generic waxes for any colour. I have a few and theyre great!
Hope this helps, Phil.
I see a pattern emerging here Zammo Youve got the bug mate!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
For 20 Collinite 476s is hard to beat. However, from what you have already you need to add a polish as well. So why not try Autolyms SRP and top that with EGP. Both will cost you about 20 and they are a very good duo designed to be used together.

I definately wouldn't spend more than 20 on a wax considering your just starting out detailing. All waxes and Sealants have they're own little tricks that need to be learned to get the best out of them so best to learn on something a bit cheaper.

In fact for about 12 you can get a tin of Meguiars #16 paste wax. I swear by it as do many others and it will out perform many more expensive waxes.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTA Shed wagon

I've just done a clay/carlack/collinite476 this afternoon, well until it started raining (still a few panels to finish waxing)
I'm slightly confused with the when to use a wax or sealant? Or do you use them together? If so which one first? I had a quick look on detailing world but I'm none the wiser...
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

146 TI

Anybody tried Tech wax?
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaxeman View Post
I've just done a clay/carlack/collinite476 this afternoon, well until it started raining (still a few panels to finish waxing)
I'm slightly confused with the when to use a wax or sealant? Or do you use them together? If so which one first? I had a quick look on detailing world but I'm none the wiser...
If you want to use both use the sealant first, as it needs a clean panel to bond too. It won't bond to a waxed surface.

Some people use one or the other and some use both, a sealant for the protection and a wax to improve the looks, although a wax like 476s offer fantastic protection in it's own right, but thats because it's a wax/sealant hybrid.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTA Shed wagon

I understand now, I'll stick with the collinite as it does last for ages
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

For about 20 you could buy Autoglym super resin polish and Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection which will do what you need.
AO Silver Member

A sealant has a glassy look abit like an extra clear coat and wax has a warmer look. Its personal pref as to which you prefer tbh but sealant 1st wax second, generally never the other way round.
Heres my MiTo with Fk1000p and Opti Seal on it. Just go to the end of the pics. You'll see what i mean by the glassy look of a sealant. For the record FK100p was on the front end while the dors backwards were Opti Seal.
DA & Sealants on my MiTo - Detailing World
Phil
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTA Shed wagon

I was looking at that article earlier
It's a good forum with a lot of info. I could spend hours looking at the photos of some of the details
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaxeman View Post
I was looking at that article earlier
It's a good forum with a lot of info. I could spend hours looking at the photos of some of the details
You were looking at that MiTo thread before? Have you looked in the international showroom? UnreAL! Theres a dude called Simon dsms or sumic. He does supercars all the time.

Last edited by GIZTO29; 01-05-10 at 22:48.
(Post Link) post #20 of 90 Old 02-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Corsa & Mito

I went for the Autoglym Aqua Wax in the end, mainly for ease as it came in a kit. I was going to get the Autoglym Super Resin Polish but it didn't come in a Kit. I just need to wait for my Lambs wool mitt to arrive that I ordered from Amazon then I can get detailing. Cheers for all the advise.
AO Member

Member car:

MiTo Lusso 95

Has anyone else used the AG Aqua Wax stuff? It appeals as the car doesn't have to be totally dry to use it, but I can't see the results being as good?

James
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTA Shed wagon

I use the aqua wax after each wash as a top up to keep it looking shiny. It works better with a wet car and doesn't leave smearing but I don't think it's a durable as some other stuff out there.
AO Silver Member

Ive got AG Aquawax and its a great product but as stated its not very durable. If you wash regularly use it every wash. It gives a lovely shine! Dont overcook it as i and some others have had funny spots when it rains as if theres a residue coming up in the rain drops. Make sure you take care when rinsing so that theres no bits of grit etc lying on the car that you could rub in when buffing the aquawax.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDDY View Post
Anybody tried Tech wax?
Yep, it's fairly average.

In my opinion only sealents and hybrid waxes stand out form the crowd (Collonite 476s and Fk1000P being the two most popular). I bought Zymol Ital for my own car and didn't see the differnce (in beading or durability) when compared to normal 20-50 waxes despite paying 130 for it .

I would reccomend Dodo Juice Orange Crush ~30 (for the smell) or FK1000P ~17 for that glassy/wet look and amazing durability, twice that of normal waxes.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,500RPM View Post
Yep, it's fairly average.

In my opinion only sealents and hybrid waxes stand out form the crowd (Collonite 476s and Fk1000P being the two most popular). I bought Zymol Ital for my own car and didn't see the differnce (in beading or durability) when compared to normal 20-50 waxes despite paying 130 for it .

I would reccomend Dodo Juice Orange Crush ~30 (for the smell) or FK1000P ~17 for that glassy/wet look and amazing durability, twice that of normal waxes.
My mate bought a tub of Zymol destiny recently! Its 520 but he got it for 290 off a guy in the sales section on DW. It was 95% full aswell which was good for him as he was gonna buy it new. 10500, have you got a pic of FK1000p you can upload of it next to anything to show how bloody huge the tin is?
Another good buy would be Chemical Guys Petes 53 Paste Wax, infact heres the wax page on cyc.
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/cat_4.html
Theyre all reasonably priced. The sealants are on a seperate page. Of the Dodo Juice waxes i have full size tubs of Supernatural, Austintacious (i won both) and 30 ml panel pots of Hard Candy, Rainforest Rub, Blue Velvet Pro & Rubbish Boys Juiced Edition.

Last edited by GIZTO29; 03-05-10 at 15:31.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
good , wax

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page