A beginner's first attempt at detailing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 28-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

147 2lt TS Lusso

A beginner's first attempt at detailing

In the past I've never been one for trying much effort at cleaning my car, when I get a new one I tend to wash for a couple of weeks before leaving it in the hands of the local supermarket carpark.

Yet a combination of the arrival of the 147 and too much time spent reading these boards has got me wanting to keep the car in as good condition as possible.

So having trawled through a good number of threads on here I have pretty much decided on a plan of action,

To start with I have sorted out 2 buckets, and a mit (although going to go and have a look for one with better fibers, as this (cheap glove from Sainsburys with long fat threads) looks a bit rubbish.

- Rinse
- Wash - AG shampoo (no idea what type, but came in a pack of stuff mother got with her MX5 and never used)
- Wash wheels with AG wheel stuff

- Clay - Just got the Mag kit off Amazon
- Coat of AG SRP
and finally a coat of AG EGP

The most important question, have I missed anything?
The car has a couple of pretty bad stone chips and some scratches to the lower front bumper, I want to get these fixed asap. Would it be best to do the cleaning /claying before the chip repair people come and fix them?

Will get on with taking some photos once I get started properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

if ya feeling real hardcore, take the wheels off and wash and clay them, use the old clay you've used on the body. then polish them as you did with the car. they'll be so much easier to clean then for the next 12 months.
have fun
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Maybe some AG FAst Glass, some trim stuff and tyre stuff. Halfords have a 3 for 2 on at the mo I cant offer advice on the chips but would imagine clean paint is better for the guys to work on. Maybe SRP it to cleanse but leave the sealant (EGP).
Thanks Phil
(Post Link) post #4 of 15 Old 30-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 2lt TS Lusso

Thanks for the advice, Just gone and stocked up at Halfords with a couple of jars of SRP, EGP, a meg's microfiber glove, microfiber towel and some polishing cloths.

Get home and realise that the bag containing the Shampoo, wheel cleaner (and I think some Fast Glass) is at parents 2nd home 200miles away. So unless doing the wash before claying is ok with washing up liquid etc looks like it will be a week before I can get started After the amount spent today (and the new tires, key & ipod bits tomorrow) I cant spend any more till next payday!
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I'd get the repairs done first. Get some IPA and clean the stone chips before the repairers get there. If any polish or sealant residue is in the stone chip the paint won't adhere properly, thats what the IPA (Iso propyl Alcohol) is for, to clean any residue away.

Plus, if you detail the car then get the repairs done, chances are you might have to re polish and seal that area again so you would be causing yorself more work.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

One thing I wouldn't be without is a couple of these to dry the car down with Car Care Direct

Personally I can't get on with a mitt, I like to use a cellulose sponge.

Spend a good bit of time on the clay step, normally takes a bit of effort to get super glass smooth.

Give your wheels a coat of SRP/EGP when you've done.

I reckon with everything you've got you should be able to get a decent finish on the car.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Brera S

Wash
Clay
Wash again
Polish
Wax
AO Silver Member

You should get great results from that lot

Just remember not to seal the repainted areas for 2-3 months to let the solvents to fully evaporte out of the paint.
(Post Link) post #9 of 15 Old 01-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 2lt TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,500RPM View Post
You should get great results from that lot

Just remember not to seal the repainted areas for 2-3 months to let the solvents to fully evaporte out of the paint.
In that case, would it be best for me to clay/SRP/EGP the car the rest of the car before getting it done, and just avoid the chips (so that I can get the rest of the paint looking good now) then treat the scratch/chips with IPA before the guy comes to do the touch ups

When you say not to seal the repainted areas, do you mean not to put the top coat of EGP on or no polish at all?
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire1500 View Post
When you say not to seal the repainted areas, do you mean not to put the top coat of EGP on or no polish at all?
The SRP has some sealant in it as well, so dont apply this also.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Yeh sorry. I thought that maybe if you cleansed with SRP they would do an IPA wipedown on the chips but take the advice given. SRP cleans but willl leave fillers which will be no good to the repair guys i would imagine. Im no expert on these things mind. As mentioned you'll have to let the painted areas breath for some time so maybe youve picked a bad time to become interested in the detailing aspect.
Phil
AO Silver Member

I would do the rest of the car without hesitation. If your repair man is worth his salt he will wipe the area he is working on with special solvents and degreasers etc to ensure it is free from silicone, tar and any other contaminants. It may be worth mentioning that you have done this though. Personally I would clay and detar the area he is working on and hit it with a paint cleaner after you apply egp to the rest of the car.
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 02-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 2lt TS Lusso

Still not been able to make a proper start on applying all the fun stuff I've brought for the car, a wash once a week being the limit until they come and fix the messed up paint next week (and I've given it sufficient time to cure)

To make matters worse the car is mocking me with swirly marks on the rear bumper & a bonnet which is starting to feel a bit rough making me even more desperate to get the clay out.....
Still I know if I start I wont be able to stop at the areas which still need fixing, so will hold off a bit longer.....

Question for the day, I have two wash mits a very fine megs one and a much longer supermarket own brand. At the moment I keep using the long one to wash with (thinking that longer fibres will mean grit will be further away from the paint), but I'm not sure what I should be using the Megs one for (or if I should be using that for the main wash)

The other question, a small bottle of Megs cleaner wax came with the claying kit. Is this worth using along with the other AG stuff listed earlier in the thread?
AO Silver Member

Too long to quote so

Re: Washmitt, I normally use a Dodo Jucice "Wookie" which is very long and safe, I have also used shorter ones which are perfectly fine with shampoos with high levels of lubriacants. The shorter wooly ones are still miles better than any sponge.

Re: Cleaner wax, i use these as an AIO for a quick once over, I would use it now before you get those parts painted but I would not apply it over/ after any products with a high filler content/ glaze.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

I would keep the megs cleaner wax for your alloys. It's great at removing brake dust which has collected in nooks and cranies.

After you have clayed use something like AG SRP which contains loads of fillers for hiding swirls and then a good wax to protect the finish.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
attempt , beginner , detailing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page