hand polish / wax technique - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 27-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
hand polish / wax technique

When I polish or wax (by hand) I am sometimes left with marks on the panel. Not sure if streaks are the best way to describe them.

I cant decide if it is because I have applied the polish/wax with too much pressure on certain strokes or not buffed it off with enough pressure.

So other than small amounts applied in straight up and down motion what can I do to guard against it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mymatemarmite

If the marks are what I'm thinking of, then our (so called) valeters at work get the same results sometimes. I think it's basically happening because the polish isn't 'worked' into the panel properly, so the marks you see are the difference between the more...and less thoroughly polished parts. I may be wrong though. Your idea about polishing smaller areas will prevent this result I'm sure.

AO Silver Member

County: -
What polish are you using?

It could be a number of things. Labels/ edges of microfibres can cause minor marring or it simply be a cause of an extra thick layer of polish becoming a bugger to buff off, that's more of a problem with waxes than polishes really.
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 27-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

on sunday it was Megs Gold class wax but i think i have had the problem with polishes as well.

I have convinced myself I didnt apply it very well. Too much on sections with too much pressure.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
The aim with most if not all polishes and waxes is to use the least amount of product you can get away with. Too much and you will struggle to remove it all and thats what can cause the so-called "wax hologramming".

Also did you apply the wax in direct sun light?
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 28-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissler View Post
It was late afternoon so sun was well to the west and being mostly blocked by the house.

I think it was a quantity issue
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by twissler View Post
The aim with most if not all polishes and waxes is to use the least amount of product you can get away with. Too much and you will struggle to remove it all and thats what can cause the so-called "wax hologramming".

I was just gonna ask the same thing. Ive suffered a few times from wax holograms which alex, for the record are visible in the sun mainly when you move your head from side to side. Ive also been known to apply too much product. One tip when applying wax is to dampen your applicator which helps you lay down a whisper thin layer. Im yet to master this myself though Bare in mind when using a DA polisher for an 18" square section approx you only need 3 skittle sized blobs on the pad which is approx 6". I have been known to slap the AG SRP on thinking the more the better
Also mate, how long did you leave it on to cure for? Some products are best done by maybe applying on 4 panels then , buff the first 2, apply on the next 2 buff 3 & 4 so on so forth. Some can be left for yonks or in direct sunlight with no ill effects. I find FK1000p buffs off so easy. Even if the sun had went in the panels mayve been quite hot still?
Thanks Phil

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29

Last edited by GIZTO29; 28-04-10 at 18:17.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
hand , polish , technique , wax

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page