Quick Tip, Quick Question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 18-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quick Tip, Quick Question

for those of you with black/anthracite/gunmetal wheels, autoglym's "bumper care" is a back-to-black type product mainly for use on plastic trim, but i have found it puts the colour right back into 2 year old matt black wheels!

can be put on wheels as its a wipe-on gel as opposed to most other back-to-black type products, which are sprays.

on the subject of wheels, i mistakenly let some wheel cleaner dry on one wheel, and it has left a crazed white pattern mark on the wheel. i cant seem to get it off! any ideas?

My 156 GTA with Wizrdovoz system Video 1 Video 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by aziraphale View Post
for those of you with black/anthracite/gunmetal wheels, autoglym's "bumper care" is a back-to-black type product mainly for use on plastic trim, but i have found it puts the colour right back into 2 year old matt black wheels!

can be put on wheels as its a wipe-on gel as opposed to most other back-to-black type products, which are sprays.

on the subject of wheels, i mistakenly let some wheel cleaner dry on one wheel, and it has left a crazed white pattern mark on the wheel. i cant seem to get it off! any ideas?
Just a guess here but it'll either be acid or alkaline. As you prob no both are pretty nasty so i would think its corroded the wheel! Which brand of wheel cleaner was it?
Phil
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 18-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

it doesnt feel like theres a mark, its just a discolouration...

it was a simoniz cleaner.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

If it does not wash off or come off with QD then it is probably etched into the clearcoat.

Yet another example of why wheel cleaners are such a no no.
AO Member

County: Limburg
Just an idea but you could try scratch remover on your wheel. its a very mild abbrasive which may well get your wheel back to its original colour. T Cut is another option but may not be man enough for the job.
Hope this helps.!
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
Yet another example of why wheel cleaners are such a no no.

They should only be used if absolutly nessesary (unfortunatly everyday in my business ). Always make sure the wheels are not warmer than their surroundings (ie let them cool after a drive) and never let the wheel cleaner dwell*, spray on, agitate and get it off asap. Remember that "acid free" wheel cleaners may be a strong alkaline and they're just as bad if not worse on your wheels, they oxidise bare alloy very quickly.

However, try polishing (or compounding) the white mark off your wheel. Some residues are very stubborn and look a lot worse than they really are. If they're non-clearcoated matt black the stain could be anything really, even something you ran over.

*manufactures state that you should let the wheel cleaner dwell for 3-5 mins on average but also state that they may damage you wheels as a get out clause. In their defence people expect too much from "safe" wheel cleaners and at the same time don't take enough care with strong cleaners.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernweh View Post
Just an idea but you could try scratch remover on your wheel. its a very mild abbrasive which may well get your wheel back to its original colour. T Cut is another option but may not be man enough for the job.
Hope this helps.!
I missed this post, it would have saved me a lot of typing
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 19-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

hmm, ok cheers, looks like i made a boo-boo, will know better next time!
keithyboy

Try a bit of nail polish remover. The finish should be durable enough but try it on a small area just to be on the safe side.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
question , quick , tip

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page