D Day is Coming - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 24-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London
D Day is Coming

Tomorrow (Thursday) I will mostly be making my arms drop off.

My Bella Bambino or more commonly known as my filthy, minging 147 is gonna get my full attention from morning to night for the first time since I bought her a year ago.
I'd do before and after pics but to be honest she is silver and it's a fairly forgiving colour so on camera the difference will probably be undetectable, cleaner but not anything amazing. Why am I doing this again?

The plan is:

Drench her then wash her (i have some Turtle Wax wash and shine but i'm tempted to using fairy liquid to strip her naked) - Snow Foam would be a definite if I had a pressure washer, snow foam lance and snow foam. Note to self: buying food for kids leaves less cash for detailing.

Wash and clean door, bonnet and boot jams.

Wash and drench again, wanna make sure the winter crud is gone completely.

Clay all over, it hasn't been clayed before - I have some Bilt Hamber Soft Clay as opposed to the regular which as a newbie gives me less chance of marring the paintwork.
All the glass and Supersports will be clayed to.

AG Super Resin Polish all over including the alloys.

Full wipe down with pure IPA to ensure no grease, contamination.

2 coats of Collinite 915.

Whats not gonna get done (yet):

External plastic and rubber: don't have Raceglaze Colour Enhance which comes highly recommended to me (and is good for tyre dressing as well so i'm told) - Apparently Sunflower oil works well if only for a short while on external plastic parts.

Tyres: For some reason, I can only assume that my in pub planning missed this one - I don't have a quality tyre dressing - recommendations welcome taking into account the above (Raceglaze colour enhance).

Engine Bay: No Degreaser.

Interior: Spent my nuts off so the leather will get done in 4 weeks time.

The day will entail the consumption of several cups of tea and a copious amount of bacon sarnies (her indoors doesn't know the full extent of her involvement in this one yet) followed by a debrief down the boozer - when I say debrief - oh whats the use.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

you'll make it rain.....
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 25-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Woke up this morning and you are right BigJim - it has poured down.

Not gonna put me off though, I did too much planning yesterday to cancel and i've got the hangover to prove it.

Washing and claying not a prob, hoping for a long enough dry spell to get at least 1 coat of the Colly on.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

If you wipe it down with IPA after applying the SRP you will effectively remove all the fillers which SRP contains (probably and IMHO it's main atribute)
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillihound View Post
Woke up this morning and you are right BigJim - it has poured down.

Not gonna put me off though, I did too much planning yesterday to cancel and i've got the hangover to prove it.

Washing and claying not a prob, hoping for a long enough dry spell to get at least 1 coat of the Colly on.

That's the spirit! If there's one thing that can be said about us obsessive detailers is the utter disregard we have for the weather (plus all our neighbours think we're bonkers!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
If you wipe it down with IPA after applying the SRP you will effectively remove all the fillers which SRP contains (probably and IMHO it's main atribute)

That's what I thought, too?

Have a productive day, and pictures please!
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 25-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

springbok, thats my bad - will be wiping down before srp.

I have got it washed twice and she has been clayed to death, I don't think it has been done ever so claying took some time. The alloys were filthy with embeded brake dust and covered in tar - in fact both sides along the lower panels were caked in tar but the Bilt Hamber clay handled it with relative ease.

Senocular you are right, the neighbours thought I was off my trolley - I guess many of them don't know of the miracle that is claying and were completely surprised when I informed them that to a small degree the rain was beneficial to the process - now they think i've gone completely bonkers.

It's been raining, at times hard since about 11am, i'm drenched but I have never seen my 147 so deeply clean unfortunately with no let up in the weather today and no place to continue under cover I cannot get her SRPd and waxed, hoping for some dry time tomorrow.

Parents evening at my daughters school in a while and then a few cans of stella to help plan for tomorrow.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 26-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Nearly done.
She has been:
Washed twice
Clayed all over inc glass and alloys
Wipe down with IPA
Super Resin Polished
2 coats of Collinite 915
All black plastic and rubber cleaned
All glass cleaned in and out

Just gotta do the alloys with SRP and Collinite but my arms are ready to drop off.
AO Gold Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

MITO QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senocular View Post
If there's one thing that can be said about us obsessive detailers is the utter disregard we have for the weather (plus all our neighbours think we're bonkers!)
Haha I thought I was the only one! I've washed the car in full-on downpours in the past and I've had some of the funniest looks.

Usually when the weather is poor I at least try to wash the alloys, as if they're left too long between washing they can become a nightmare to clean. Which is what I did today.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 27-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Getting some massive beads from the collinite, big blobs sitting nice and tall when before they would have been large flat pools.
Love driving away and watching my roof dump all the water over the rear screen.

It also sheets water like nothing I have seen, my son (13yo) was truly amazed when I emptied 20ltrs of water on the bonnet and it was immediately dry to the touch.

Last edited by chillihound; 29-04-11 at 15:29.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
coming , day

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page