Picked up my 56 plate 2.2 JTS last week. As always with 2nd hand cars from a garage, it was clean but nowhere near clean enough for me. So today I set about giving it a proper once over. Didn't go so far as using a machine polisher, but fully intend getting one this year!
- wheels cleaned with APC and various brushes
- badges, door shuts etc. cleaned with dilute APC - about 10:1. They were pretty clean already TBH.
- bodywork shampooed with hot water/Fairy/Megs wool mitt (before you all faint over my use of Fairy
, it's a one off to get rid of the wax and has never done any harm on other cars I've had)
- 2 bucket method, obviously. No grit guard, I have to admit.
- clayed using Halfords stuff. Not bad at all I have to say. Easy and effective.
- Rinsed off with PW.
- Dried with MF towels, Megs I think.
- Bilt Hamber Auto balm. A real knack to applying this. Very, very sparing use and quick removal seems to be the key. First coat was my learning curve and quite difficult at times TBH, but it went on/off beautifully on the 2nd coat. Excellent stuff. Used it on all the windows and windscreen (as picked up on another forum).
- Wheel done with AG alloy wheel sealant.
- Tyres dressed with AG Tyre/trim stuff.
- Exhaust cleaned (as much as possible) with some Autosol type stuff. Might be AG metal polish, can't remember.
Looks immeasurably better than when purchased and I'm really pleased with it. Super happy with the Autobalm, too.
No before pictures I'm afraid and no interior pics as I didn't do that today. I have, however, given the leather seats, armrest, steering wheel and other surfaces a light
wipe down with a magic sponge, and the leather looks nearly brand new! All matt, no shininess.
Here are some pics - be kind, please!