Autoglym Leather Care Balm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 19-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Well Happy Autoglym Leather Care Balm

Just thought I'd recommend this product. Just used it for the first time and made the seats look healthier and feel a bit softer as well. It's dead easy to use, just massage it in to the leather and take a clean dry cloth and buff off. Leaves the seats just like new, that is, nice and matt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Did you need to clean them first?
(Post Link) post #3 of 17 Old 25-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
Did you need to clean them first?
Yes. It is designed to be used on pre cleaned seats. Used AG Leather cleaner. I have the Gliptone twins as well but i'm trying to get rid of the AG stuff first so bought the Leather car balm to use with the Leather Cleaner.

Its the first leather "conditioner" I've used so not sure how it compares to the competition.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
It smells fantastic too!
I love getting into my car after I've done the leather with Autoglm.
(Post Link) post #5 of 17 Old 26-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim145 View Post
It smells fantastic too!
Like brand new leather seats
AO Gold Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

MITO QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim145 View Post
It smells fantastic too!
Me too. I've just come in from giving the interior a good clean, and I've applied the Auto Glym leather cleaner and leather balm and the car smells wonderful. Smells as though it has just come out of the factory!
AO Member

County: Northumberland
Just bought the balm and cleaner of ebay as a bundle for under a tenner! Looking forward to trying this out!
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Just used the cleaner & this on the GT. Easy to use, smells nice & gives a good finish
Mymatemarmite

It takes some of the less desierable 'shine' out of older leather too

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Just used the cleaner & this on the GT. Easy to use, smells nice & gives a good finish
I need help from someone, and this seemed like the best place to ask. I've had my 159 Lusso a couple of years now, and although I keep the outside well cleaned and waxed, I've never done a lot with the black interior, just kept it all clean and wiped off marks when necessary. The back seat is hardly ever used, most frequent travellers there are two Cairn terriers, though always on an old rug over the leather. It all looked a bit dull & drab, so I thought I'd spend some time giving the back seat a really good going-over, but now it looks worse than before. I used AG Leather Care Cream, well rubbed into all the nooks & crannies, polished off with an MF cloth afterwards, and it's left me with a seat that's duller and more dead-looking than before, with a white residue in the grain of the leather. The driver's seat has never had more than a quick wipe-over, and it looks lovely, but how can I get the rest of the interior up to the same standard?
AO Silver Member

County: -
Leather should have a matte/ very slight satin finish so your rear seats probably look as AG and Alfa Romeo intended. If you want to give them a bit of a shine Halfords sell the perfect product of the job, its the leather cleaner form the Natural/ Naturals range.

I suggest cleaning you leather with APC, dilute it at 1:10, agitate it with a shoe polishing brush and it will do the job very well, I hardly ever have to use anything else

Remember to wipe them down with a damp cloth afterwards
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I think you might not have rubbed the AG into the leather enough as there shouldnt be any white residue
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

There's no way of nourishing your leather seats as they are stained a particular colour then sealed. All you should do is clean the main grime with a terry towel dipped in got water and wrung out. Then use any decent leather cleaner such as Gliptone. Agitate with a soft nailbrush and leave for 5 mins or so. After that, wipe off with terry towel again, slightly moist. If you use a balm, all you are doing is giving the dirt a sticky surface on which to accumulate again.
AO Member

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I knew I could count on you lot. I'll visit Halfords or some other car care place during the week, but I think that back seat just needs a really good clean, and I've made things worse with the AG Leather Care Cream.
(Post Link) post #15 of 17 Old 08-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayem View Post
Thanks for all the helpful advice, I knew I could count on you lot. I'll visit Halfords or some other car care place during the week, but I think that back seat just needs a really good clean, and I've made things worse with the AG Leather Care Cream.
The AG Leather Care Balm (not the cream) acts more as a protectant so actually helps prevent dirt becoming ingrained in the leather. Its very good stuff and makes keeping the seats clean a piece of cake.
AO Member

Felt I should provide an update. I went along to Halfords, engaged one of their spotty youths, who seemed to know what he was talking about, he offered to come outside to have a look at the car, though sadly I didn't have it with me. He recommended AG Leather Cleaner, and a really thorough going-over with this has brought everything up beautifully, clean bright black leather with a slight sheen, and a lovely smell. Maybe my original problem was dirt on the leather, but an application of AG Leather Cream made things much worse, a dull finish with white residue in the grain. When I scrubbed it with the cleaner, it frothed away as it worked, and it's left everything looking lovely. I'm quite happy to leave it all as it is, but does anyone recommend a new application of that AG Leather Cream, or is that going to put me back to square one ?
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

I steer clear of all sticky creams. It sounds like you struck gold. I would leave it just as it is with an occasional wipe down with an interior QD.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
autoglym , balm , care , leather

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page