Autoglym HD wax no good? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 15-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Autoglym HD wax no good?

Bit disappointed. After all my hard work a couple of weeks ago I washed the car at the weekend and the wax seems to be going already. Water didn't really bead up and the car is starting to lose that smooth slippy feeling.
My understanding was that this wax was suposed to last for months. From what I've observed so far it appears to be less robust than the Autgolym Extra Gloss protection I used previously (and being liquid that was far easier to apply!).

Could I have applied it incorrectly? It was VERY cold on the day I dob't know if that could havehad an effect. Should I have waxed and then applied some EGP?

Mind you, car still looks nice and shiney after washing, and the wax seems to have prevented it from getting so dirty int he first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Giulietta

What did you use to wash it?
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlewi View Post
What did you use to wash it?
What he said. Cold application temperature does definitly has an influence on durability, there are no official figures but road salt + cold weather cuts durability by at least 40% imo.
AO Member

County: Greater London
I used it about a month and a half ago and washed the car about 4 or 5 times since then. Still getting a good shine on it.
I think the results are pretty good, but to be fair, I've not used many other waxs to compare.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1059
County: West Midlands
Mine was waxed with AutoGlym HD last March and again in October (ready for the winter) both times it was a warm day but out of direct sunlight and it still gleams, beads well and is easy clean (washed weekly using AutoGlym shampoo)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,500RPM View Post
What he said. Cold application temperature does definitly has an influence on durability, there are no official figures but road salt + cold weather cuts durability by at least 40% imo.
If you use shampoos like Simoniz wax free I've found these can pretty much strip wax as soon as washed If washed with decent stuff then I'd expect more durability than two weeks
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Don't use when it's it cold & / or damp.

Applied to the GT in September and still beading very strongly despite a very harsh winter and very few washes
(Post Link) post #8 of 20 Old 16-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Washed it with AG shampoo.
Will try reapplying when the warmer weather arrives. I think the application pads have dried out but think it says OK to soak them until fleixible again.

When it says use sparingly what does that mean exactly? Given the amount I actually used, the pot would be enough for aroun 20 to 30 applications. Does that sound about right?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert7909 View Post
Washed it with AG shampoo.
Will try reapplying when the warmer weather arrives. I think the application pads have dried out but think it says OK to soak them until fleixible again.

When it says use sparingly what does that mean exactly? Given the amount I actually used, the pot would be enough for aroun 20 to 30 applications. Does that sound about right?
Looks like it might of been the weather then as the AG shampoo is great with any wax. From my experience the thinner the coat of wax you put on the better finish without sacrificing durability. If your still not happy with the HD's durability give either collinite 476 or 915 a go as they last months
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
I had this problem with Optimum Opti-Seal. It died sharpish and then when i posted on the Optimum site it was due to the cold temp. It should last for months mate easy. It is a good wax , stick with it
AO Silver Member

I like HD
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Ive found AG HD to be really very good. I always wash the car with AG car shampoo and the wax stays on for about 5-6 months. I did apply it three times in one weekend though, I dont know whether that helps or hinders the wax.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlewi View Post
If you use shampoos like Simoniz wax free I've found these can pretty much strip wax as soon as washed If washed with decent stuff then I'd expect more durability than two weeks
That's like a frikkin TFR

The cleaning power must be pretty decent though.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,500RPM View Post
That's like a frikkin TFR

The cleaning power must be pretty decent though.
I know by bitter experience, doing everything (polish, couple of coats of wax) again a week later made me learn by my mistake pretty quickly It has been consigned to the back of my detailing shelf
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Got HD and Collinite , must say I prefer the collinite to AG wax.
AO Member

County: Northumberland
If you were wanting to use both EGP and HD wax, the EGP would go on before the HD Wax and not after mate
(Post Link) post #17 of 20 Old 19-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Righto. I will have another go once the weather warms up and I've eaten plenty of spinach.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Righto. I will have another go once the weather warms up and I've eaten plenty of spinach.
As HD wax is pretty expensive, it would be worth getting AG's new HD Cleanser. It's designed to be used in conjuction with HD Wax. It is a pre wax cleaner so just use it like a polish and it will provide the perfect base for HD wax to sit on top of. This will DEFINATELY help with the durability plus probrably help improve the looks a bit too.

P.S. HD Cleanser can be used before any wax if you decide to try something else later on.
(Post Link) post #19 of 20 Old 19-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yeah I think i will give that a go. I've just come back in from washing the car (spur of the moment thing hehe) and for whatever reason it beaded up lovely this time! I've given the bonnet and front wings another coat of wax, there's a very slight difference in feel between the areas with one coat and with two coats, so feeling better about the durability. Did find it quite difficult to get a thin coat and had to rub much harder than felt safe with the MF cloth to get a decent shine without blotchy patches. I guess if the paint itsn't properly clean it's not going to work very well.
Did notice what looked like water marks/tree sap which didn't come off when washed, quite bad on the bonnet. I think I will give the cleanser a go and am tempted to clay the car as bottom half is quite rough with small specks of whatever which can be easily removed with a fingernail but not by washing. Bit nervous about clay though as I have a feeling it could all go horribly wrong!

So I guess the full treatment would be:
Wash, rinse and dry.
Clay
Cleanser
Wax

Ta for the advice. One last thing, can I wash MF cloths in the washing machine?
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Cleanser
Wax

Ta for the advice. One last thing, can I wash MF cloths in the washing machine?
Yeah, just don't put any fabric softner in the wash, effects the absorbancy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
autoglym , good , wax

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page