Alloy whel cleaner that actually works - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 19-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Alloy whel cleaner that actually works

I'm not a detailing expert by any means, but have just finished going at it with Autoglym HD wax (hard work!) and I decided that I'd try and clean the wheels up after all the salt etc of the last couple of months.
I had been using a Simoniz cleaner and brake dust repellent which was supposed to be spray on rinse off but it didn't really work and still needed lots of scrubbing.
I've just tried a Turtle Wax product called "Ice wheel clean". Again supposed to spray on and just rinse off and clean wheels result. It also changes colour as it works which all sounded a bit gimmicky to be honest. Was in 2 minds whether to buy as it was quite expensive but I'm glad I did.
They've come out nearly spotless with no sponging or scrubbing at all. And they were really, really dirty. You're supposed to pressure wash the stuff off but I just used the gun attachement on my garden hose and it worked just as well.

You guys may already be aware of this stuff, but thought I'd mention it.

One other thing, I noticed whilst waxing that the bottom half of the body and doors felt very rough, I'm guessing this is where the gritters have kindly sandblasted the paintwork for me . Is there anything I can do to restore this?

HD wax was hard work but hopefully I won't need to wax again for sometime now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Now that you've got your wheels clean I recommend sealing the alloys with Poorboy's Wheel Sealant after cleaning/polishing/waxing. Once you've sealed them don't use any wheel cleaner on them again as it will remove the sealant just wash them with your usual shampoo

Also it's not a good idea to use wheel cleaner in general as most are acidic based & can damage your alloys

Claying your paint work will most likely remove the roughness, you might need to use tar remover first though, do a search on clay bars
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 19-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ta for the tips. The Turtle Wax stuff claims to contain no acid and be "nearly pH neutral" but does come with all the usual warnings about only using on cold wheels. I did notice it instantly corroded the surface of the brake discs which may still have been warm after a short trip 30 minutes before... Made sure I gave all the wheels 2 very thorough rinses with lots of water!

I will read up on clay bars...
AO Silver Member

County: -
I am amazed that it works despite being "nearly pH neutral". I usually use Bilberry/ Very cherry or Meguairs wheel brightener at work. The turtle wax might be useful on bare polished lips
Damien_C

Best I've ever used is AG Custom wheel cleaner. Very good and I'm lazy when it comes to cleaning wheels.

(Post Link) post #6 of 14 Old 19-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Might try the Autoglym stuff next time I run out. Already have their shampoo, EGP and now HD Wax and they all seem good.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
I tried the Autoglym wheel cleaner and that worked with a very gentle bit of sponging. Unfortunately I didn't realise that it was acid based until I felt it burning my fingers, so I will wear gloves next time! The product worked better than the other wheel cleaners I have tried though, some of which were virtually useless. I haven't tried the one described by the OP.
Damien_C

Ya it's decent enough now to be honest but you go through it quickly.

AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

+1 for what David P said above.

If it "burns your fingers" mate then you shoudn't be using it.

If you ABSOLUTELY HAVE To use a wheel cleaner then use it once, rinse well, clay and seal your wheels with a good wheel wax and then NEVER use it again. Once your wheels are properly sealed you should be able to wash them clean with a normal car shampoo, brush and dedicated microfibre cloth. This process every time you wash your car.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Acidic wheel cleaners are good for getting really bad wheels clean but you shouldn't use it all the time. I reckon an acidic wheel cleaner, then protect with a wax and clean with normal shampoo there after. Use a polish to remove anything stuborn.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
If it cleaned without the need to use a brush it must be pretty aggresive. Get them clayed and sealed. If you like the Autoglym stuff try the SRP/EGP combo. Thats what I have on mine at the moment, very impressed with it and it releases the dirt very well. All I use to keep them clean is car shampoo and a dedicated sponge that I've cut to size to fit nicely in the spokes.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
I use the Bilberry gear and its great. It can be used at 1:10 if you just have a light soil and it gives amazing results.
ValetPro - Bilberry Wheel Cleaner
As mentioned PB Wheels Sealant can be applied after or maybe you could use the HD Wax you have which is durable meaning no spending. There are other products aswell which are worth mentioning like FK1000p, Chem Guys Jetseal 109 or Optimum Opti-Seal which are all sealants and very durable/ideal for wheels.
I use this brush along with an EZ Detail brush and theyre awesome!
Multi brush rim cleaner soft
EZ Detail Wheel Brush
After the hard work you should find it easy to clean them from there on for a few months anyway. The roughness you mention sounds like the car needs to be clayed.
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-clay/cat_9.html
The roughness is probably a build up of various things but more than likely brake dust from your front brakes. Tiny bits of the brakes stuck in the clear coat. It can also be overspray, sap or industrial fallout. Have a look on youtube and you'll see plenty of videos showing a car being clayed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29

Last edited by GIZTO29; 21-02-10 at 22:02.
Lord Melch

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
+1 for what David P said above.

If it "burns your fingers" mate then you shoudn't be using it.

If you ABSOLUTELY HAVE To use a wheel cleaner then use it once, rinse well, clay and seal your wheels with a good wheel wax and then NEVER use it again. Once your wheels are properly sealed you should be able to wash them clean with a normal car shampoo, brush and dedicated microfibre cloth. This process every time you wash your car.
+2 - Works for me, I have never had to use a wheel cleaner. Proper protection

AO Member

Member car:

146ti

Autosmart smartwheels is non acidic and non caustic, use it neet for the first go on grubby alloys then clay them with an old piece of clay.
If you get them spotless just seal them up with a sealant and wash as normal

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
alloy , cleaner , whel , works

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page