Wheel Clay Bar Project - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 14-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Wheel Clay Bar Project

I got a set of 18" Horseshoe alloys last week and after cleaning them up found some major tar build up.

IMG_0877.jpgIMG_0878.jpg

So I ordered myself some Megs mild clay (should have got the aggresive stuff but at least with the mild I can use it on the bodywork aswell) from cleanyourcar.co.uk. First off I tried some AG Tar remover, but it didn't even make a dent in it some I started with the clay.

And the results!
IMG_0879.jpgIMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0881.jpgIMG_0882.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nev

Mine were in a way more shocking state than those corners when I left the car off!

Clay is the stuff. I was using it to get rid of UK road residue from my windscreen last night.
(Both good uses for a "used" piece of clay, BTW. )

(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 14-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

It doesn't look that bad but that stuff was baked on. It took me 2 hours to do one wheel. Don't forget i'd already done the whole wheel with Tar remover to little avail.

Still, it's amazing what a bit of fancy blue tac can do.
AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire
Good tip I know what I'm doing in the spring
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
After a recent new road surface was laid on my route to work i am suffering the same for the 1st time. Billbery hasnt touched the tar and im gonna have to do the same. Auto Smart Tardis is supposedly the daddy of the tar removal products as far as i can gather. Its ridiculous how this process can take so long isnt it. I always have had my wheels looking brand new until now.
(Post Link) post #6 of 14 Old 17-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Keeping the wheels sealed helps massively. The wheels on my car haven't got any tar on whatsoever. The wheels in this post are 2nd hand so I don't expect to have to do this again once I get them polished and sealed.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
The wheels on the GT need a claying but it can wait until the spring.

Where does all the tar come from at this time of year
AO Gold Member

County: -
I keep my used Clay bars for use on Wheels etc. i.e. when I think that it is contaminated enough from cleaning the Body paint, I put aside for use on shuch things as wheels .
AO Platinum Member

I don't think it is tar, which is why tar removers aren't touching it. It's more likely carbonised bits of brake pad material.

When you jam the brakes on, the top surface of the pads get super-heated and sloughed off by the friction... fly outwards and land, still baking hot, onto your rims. They then embed themselves into the surface and just stick there, half-melted and half bonded to the lacquer.. They won't come off easy.

The pieces also then carry on corroding acidly.. (being metal mostly, now that asbestos has been banned) so they'll pit and stain the lacquer if you leave them there.

So.. seal the wheels as that will provide a barrier to the pieces in the first place.. and also remove any new build up regularly as it's not nice stuff.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #10 of 14 Old 19-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
I don't think it is tar, which is why tar removers aren't touching it. It's more likely carbonised bits of brake pad material.

When you jam the brakes on, the top surface of the pads get super-heated and sloughed off by the friction... fly outwards and land, still baking hot, onto your rims. They then embed themselves into the surface and just stick there, half-melted and half bonded to the lacquer.. They won't come off easy.

The pieces also then carry on corroding acidly.. (being metal mostly, now that asbestos has been banned) so they'll pit and stain the lacquer if you leave them there.

So.. seal the wheels as that will provide a barrier to the pieces in the first place.. and also remove any new build up regularly as it's not nice stuff.

Ralf S.
Whatever it is Ralf it's horrible stuff.
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

I was cleaning my alloys there on the weekend, some stuff I found impossible to shift, more so on the inner rim. Never did think of using an old clay bar that I have handy. I used the poor boys wheel sealer for the first time, only on one alloy so far, I wanted to see if it makes much of a difference next time I give em a quick clean. I gave it two coats as recommended by everyone.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Daryl View Post
I was cleaning my alloys there on the weekend, some stuff I found impossible to shift, more so on the inner rim. Never did think of using an old clay bar that I have handy. I used the poor boys wheel sealer for the first time, only on one alloy so far, I wanted to see if it makes much of a difference next time I give em a quick clean. I gave it two coats as recommended by everyone.

You'll be impressed by the PB's wheel sealant alright, no more need for wheel cleaner ( don't use it as it will strip off the sealant ) just use your normal shampoo when cleaning
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 19-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
You'll be impressed by the PB's wheel sealant alright, no more need for wheel cleaner ( don't use it as it will strip off the sealant ) just use your normal shampoo when cleaning
Yep good point. Once sealed never use wheel cleaner again, unless you want to strip the sealant off to reapply.

I haven't used wheel cleaner for the last 6 months. IMO it's a waste of money.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

I never used a decent brand wheel cleaner (tar remover really), but I simply stopped with the cheap ones, waste of time and money. Regular shampoo and wash and it does a decent job. Never overly picky with the alloys really as half a mile later they are dirty again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
bar , clay , project , wheel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page