Winter Cleaning - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 12-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Hmmm Winter Cleaning

Just had a chance today to wash and examine closely my new-to-me 2008 159 TI SW for the first time.
Used the recommended 2 buckets and microfibre 'sponge' and dried it off with a microfibre towel.
It's apparent there are some stone chips ( I can see white primer), there's some tar spots and some swirls too.
Much as I'd like to get started to sort these things out, I suspect it's too cold to start using products outside at the moment?
I've ordered some AG alloy wheel sealant ( but first need to wash, dry, remove tar, wash, dry then apply sealant).
I guess this is OK in the cold, as will be tar removal elsewhere but is it too cold to be claying, removing swirls, touching up and applying polish outdoors?
Incidentally my clay has been used on the 147 a couple of times now, should I be ditching it (the clay)?
I'm trying to balance protecting my new car against the effect of adverse product application conditions....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

I was outside washing my GTV in the snow last sunday, my neighbours probably thought I'm a nutter. All I was doing was washing mind and yes I was getting cold
AO Platinum Member

I washed, clayed and waxed my blue thing.. 145.

Washing you just need to make sure the hosepipe isn't frozen..

Clay you have to put inside your shirt while you're washing the car, so it gets warm and soft

Wax.. leave it in the kitchen overnight so it's nice and soft when you apply it. Curing is by air drying so if there's even a hint of sunshine or any breeze at all, it'll dry enough to buff off.. .just leave it a bit longer than normal so it doesn't streak.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
If your waxing make sure you get it done before say 2pm. After that there is too much moisture in the air and you will buffing the wax off for hours. Voice of experience.
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 13-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Well we've had black ice today and now it's snowing so I'm not even venturing out!

Regarding clay, how old/dirty is too old/dirty?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyred159 View Post
Well we've had black ice today and now it's snowing so I'm not even venturing out!

Regarding clay, how old/dirty is too old/dirty?
I'm not sure what you mean but there is no such thing as too dirty or old to clay. You can get more aggresive clays just like you can polishes and I would say start with a mild clay and see how that goes. If it ain't shifting the contamination then get some aggresive clay.

Be warned though that aggresive clay will leave some marring of the paint which will need to be corrected by polishing, preferably machine polishing.
AO Member

Member car:

146ti

If while turning and kneading the clay it still gets to a clean part it should be fine to use, keep the clay in a sandwich bag dipped in a bucket of warm water before and during use
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 13-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

I meant how dirty the clay, as there is no " clean" on show I guess it's time to chuck it and get some new?
AO Platinum Member

If you have the Meguiars (etc.) kit, use the clay until the Quick Detailer spray that came with it runs out. That would probably reflect how much use it's had (and you have to buy a new kit anyway, to get more Q/D).

If you have separate clay and a separate Q/D then it's more tricky. If you see large pieces of grit in there, just save it for the wheels and/or glass... if it's just "dirty" but no large pieces of grit, then it'll do for more service.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyred159 View Post
I meant how dirty the clay, as there is no " clean" on show I guess it's time to chuck it and get some new?
Ahh, my mistake. Your spot on there then. If when turning and kneeding the clay you still can't get a clean section then it is time to get a new one out. The Meguiars clay ( not the kit, just a clay bar) is really big so you can cut into about 4 pieces before you start.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
cleaning , winter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page