Gaylords! :D - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 06-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Gaylords! :D

I dunno... a bit of inclement weather and all the detailing threads stop!

This weekend I had my 2 buckets out and gave my new 145 a wash.

I had to leave the hosepipe in the sun for 30 minutes though and it did squirt out a bit of ice but otherwise it was squirting away and the beast came up a bit shiny. Looooads of dirt in the first bucket! I used Meguiar's Hyperwash at some obscenely heavy dilution, so I had a lot of suds... the paint was a bit gritty and 'orrible and the soap helps protect it.

Cup-o-tea!

I decided to clay the beast too, because it was covered in berry juice marks and tar. It took a fair bit of effort as some of what I thought were marks in the paint were actually just stains, gunge and specks (emulsion paint?) which eventually came off on the clay. Meguiars again.. Quick Clay but I ran out their Quick Detalier so I used Poorboys' one.

A quick hose down again and a chammy (yes! I know... but it's immaculate my chammy) and job done... though the water that was left sitting on the paint was starting to turn to gel before I wiped it dry..

More tea!

I decided to bung some P/Boys Natty Blue wax on there now as I didn't fancy leaving the beast all unprotected.

It was probably too cold for the wax but I left it ages to cure on there before I buffed it off. I can report that it brushes off ice crystals quite well.. and did bond to the surface okay. The Blue Stuff seems to work at any temperature between 0C and 40C. Splendid!

I gave the fella a hoover-out (dogs and fags c/o previous owner ) .. and I slapped some tyre shine on there. I used a Turtle Wax jobbie in a clear bottle... new to me but they didn't have my usual (Halfords regular). Seems okay.

Had another coopa and admired the view... The lad without a name is "Francia Blu Metallic" apparently.

P.S. Obviously the next day it ****ed with snow and the council had their gritters out.. (which is more remarkable than my disappointment that the beast got mullah'd again).. though I can also report that Natty Blue does seem to shrug off frost and all sorts of gunge quite well, at least for a day or two. Still beading, even in the snow!

Ralf S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 145.JPG (81.8 KB, 38 views)

No bullets for Chaingun..

Last edited by Ralf S.; 06-01-10 at 06:43.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I'm with you there Ralf. Gave mine a wash a few days back. Went out first to clean the wheels and it started hail stoning. Finished the wheels went inside to warm up a bit and when it had stopped went out to do the rest of the car.

There was a good inch of hail stone on my car by the time I went out the 2nd time so i had to stand there with the hose on for a good 10 minutes melting it off, got pretty cold I can tell you.

I just can't stand the thought of leaving all the crap on my car so i'll always be out there even in rain to clean it off. Plus a bonus was that as it was raining by the end (heavily) I could skip the drying stage.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Gtv 2.0 ts

Look's good Ralf, French Blue was a rare colour, only available on the 1.8 145.
VO2Max

Nice one Ralf, hard as nails, you!

K9d
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Did you do it in your mankini, because if not you too sir are a gaylord
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

nice job hope the 155 does not get jealous !
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

well when the snow has gone i'll be trying out my new valet pro snow foam and superspray hose thingy.
gotta say, my car is the cleanest in the works car park. cleaned it last week and the dirt doesn't seem to be sticking to it. at the moment anyway.
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

oh. love the 145. real nice colour.
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 07-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIDET FITZAKAZI View Post
Look's good Ralf, French Blue was a rare colour, only available on the 1.8 145.

Is that right?

The lad is indeed a 1.8. It's a bit of a rev-hound.. and not as torquey as the v6 in my 155.. obviously.. but I keep forgetting and so fall out of the power band!

It's quite familiar though.. a lot of the engine bay looks the same and some of the parts (inner wings, engine mount, suspension tops) look identical.

Tarquini is off the road at the moment as the rear brakes are just not up to the job for Doctor Death the MOT man, even with new handbrake cables, new regulator, new calipers and pads.

I'm going to change the rear brake pipes but of the six I need (four on the regulator and one to each caliper) only two are available any more... I need to get the rest made .. once the weather warms up (hence the 145).

The 145 has also got the same handbrake cable freezing trick as the 155.. but no surprise really; the calipers and rear brake assembly look very similar, if not identical too.

Ralf S.
AO Member

County: Greater London
How long did you have to leave the wax on to cure in these temperatures?
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillihound View Post
Inside the unit (without heat) most waxes cure in the time it takes me to dress the dash tires and trim. I'd say 15-20 mins. Some waxes seem much, much harder to buff off though, I'm not sure if it's because my fingers are cold and make it feel harder or if it's a chemical issue

@ Ralf S I washed my bike at work today, I didn't feel cold at all

The Alfa needs a crankshaft pulley
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 08-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillihound View Post
The wax was on there about 40 minutes.. by the time I had a cuppa and swept out the inside, blacked the tyres and replaced the blown bulb in the clock.

Natty Blue seems to buff off really easily. It's sensational for the money (aboot £13 a pot) .. easy to use (-0C and also used it on my brother's car in Australia +40C), excellent shine and lasts for ages (in the pot and on the car).

Best still is that it smells of bubblegum, so when the footie is on, I can leave it to the neices to apply!

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
gaylords

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page