Best polish to use - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 37 Old 02-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDm Ti

Best polish to use

Hi guys,

Whats a good polish to use on a Carbonio Black 159 that will help cover up a few small scratch blemishes?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Brera S

Hard to say without seeing pics or knowing whether you are going to machine polish or not. If you're doing it by hand then any filler polish will hide small scratches but you'll never be able to remove them without a machine polisher. For shine, wax usually works better on dark colours.
Best Car Polish, Polishers and Scratch removers
(Post Link) post #3 of 37 Old 02-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDm Ti

Thanks ALRN,

I guess it would be hand polish for now, but I am thinking of investing in a machine polisher!

Im have no idea what polish or wax to use on the Alfa, what brand of polish and wax would you recommend?
AO Member

Member car:

Brera S

Polish wise I'd be looking at something like Megs #80 Glaze then a premium wax like Collinite 915 to protect the finish. Then all you need to do is give it a quick coat of aquawax or Dodo juice Red Mist every time you wash her.A lot of folks here like the aqauwax cos' you don't need to dry the car first but I prefer the dodo juice cos' it smells nicer
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
I'm a confirmed Autoglym fan. Wash, clay, HD Cleanse, SRP followed by a coat of HD Wax. Work the minor scratches with Megs Scratch X or similar prior to the SRP stage. Allow yourself a good day from start to finish, planned carefully around the weather.
AO Gold Member

I dont use anything abrasive - unless the car needs, so it gets deswirled with Menzerna and Farecla - after that I just work with non abrasive methods to wash and 'polish'

I use Zaino clay bars polish/sealant and sprays.

I dont like autoglym as it abrades every time you use it - but of the cheaper 'all in one' products (i.e clean, fill and seal) its probably the best
AO Member

I have had fantastic results with Chemical Guys , jetseal 109. I put it on this summer,and my car still looks as new. You can put a layer of 50/50 Wax from the same company on top. Did it this spring, and i cannot describe how good the red paint looked but in winter it will be useless cos of all the salt and washing with warm water. Try jetseal for the winter season, its not expensive and it lasts loooong
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj romeo View Post
I dont use anything abrasive - unless the car needs, so it gets deswirled with Menzerna and Farecla - after that I just work with non abrasive methods to wash and 'polish'

I use Zaino clay bars polish/sealant and sprays.

I dont like autoglym as it abrades every time you use it - but of the cheaper 'all in one' products (i.e clean, fill and seal) its probably the best
SRP has mild cutting agents and fillers so is good for occasional use and for swirls & minor scratches. All of the other products I mention do not.

Well worth checking out detailing world IMHO.

PS. Moved to our detailing section
jay w

once i had sorted out the paintwork on my black 156 i used to use dodo Purple haze, it is the doggies rear swingers when it comes to black cars.

Prior to machine polishing it i used to used SRP as a 'filler' and then apply the Purple Haze afterwards, then a day or two later give the car a light wash and apply Dodo Red Mist, this would really give the car an ultra deep shine

AO Member

Member car:

spider

meguires for best results use tec wax, or most meguires products! or a company called mothers or poor boys,from the states,tec wax is even better topped of with a wax called ps21 i think thats the name, also for your tyres use meguires tyre dressing, but not in the trigger bottle you need the one in the bottle its a red/purple colour and there products smell so so so gooooooood.daz
(Post Link) post #11 of 37 Old 02-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDm Ti

Cheers for all the reply's

If I bought Dodo juice purple haze, Dodo juice red mist and Meguiars scratch X would that do the trick for removing/fill small scratches and giving the car a good deep shine?

Matt
AO Member

Member car:

Brera S

I reckon the scratch -x doesn't do what it says on the tin, you won't remove the scratches but you probably will fill them in slightly.Purple Haze is good stuff but pretty expensive, Red mist is very good value and does as advertised.
Remember the vast majority of the shine comes from the polish-the wax is mainly for protection.
(Post Link) post #13 of 37 Old 02-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDm Ti

ok cool, sorry to sound stupid,

but what's the best order to do things once I have washed the car and its sitting there wet?

ps: I have Turtle Wax Colour Magic for black cars sitting in the garage will this be good enough for polishing the car before waxing?
AO Member

Member car:

Brera S

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/guides/info_5.html
Then click on the top Detailing guide.
(Post Link) post #15 of 37 Old 02-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDm Ti

AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
SRP has mild cutting agents and fillers so is good for occasional use and for swirls & minor scratches. All of the other products I mention do not.

Well worth checking out detailing world IMHO.

PS. Moved to our detailing section
Yeh, i'd do this.You cant beat a bit of SRP. If you dont wanna pay £40 but want HD Wax then you can get it from ebay for £20. Try a seller called 2005holdscroft, theyre a Nissan Dealer in Holdscroft
With regards to the LSP (last stage product) i would consider Finish Kare 1000p Hi Temp Sealant.
Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Sealant
Its a doddle to use, is as durable as any product out there and looks amazing! Oh and its cheap as chips.

A few pics of it in action...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Certainly pick up a clay-bar if you haven't already, Wintersun.

The best order for "when its sitting there wet", is, clay > dry > polish > protect (wax..)

As you can see above, there are a few routes to take. Alternatively, to get the ultimate finish, you need a professional detailer that can do the work for you. THEN, you can care for and look after the finish yourself (just make sure your wash-steps are spot on..)

I have contact of a trusted detailer based in Kent - PM if you want to know more.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
When it comes to hand polishing nothing i've used beets Auto Glym SRP. It's got a little bit of cut in it to get rid of light swirls and anything it does not remove it will fill anyway.

Best used with a foam applicator. Start by spreading it on a 2ft square section then start working it fairly hard in tight circles gradually easing off the pressure until you are barely pressing on the pad. You know when you've worked it long enough as it wil start to go clear. Never wait for it it dry to a white haze, as it hasn't been worked long enough. Then just buff off with a clean dry microfibre.

It leaves an excellent base for wax and sealants also, so once buffed off there is no need to wipe the bodywork down with IPA to get rid of the polishing oils.

When it comes to waxes or sealants I have two favourites. Megs #16 and Collinite 476s. Megs #16 is unbeliveably good value and you will struggle to better the finish with waxes 4 times the price. The collinite is a bit pricier but this wax's party piece is it's durability. It will last for months and months even in this weather. So for me its Megs#16 in the summer and Collinite 476s in the winter.
AO Member

Member car:

146ti

For polishing by hand its SRP all the way, as said work it a panel at a time and buff off as you go. . .
You can top that with autoglym extra gloss, wipe it on and leave for several hours before buffing, its a very underated product.

My choice. . .megs #16 as twissler said, its the king, cheap, long lasting and a fantastic shine, brilliant product (its the same as zymol carbon) EXACTLY the same
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRN View Post
I reckon the scratch -x doesn't do what it says on the tin, you won't remove the scratches but you probably will fill them in slightly.Purple Haze is good stuff but pretty expensive, Red mist is very good value and does as advertised.
Remember the vast majority of the shine comes from the polish-the wax is mainly for protection.
Scratch X has been replaced by Scratch X 2.0 which is more aggressive than Scratch X. I think even Swirl X is more aggressive than the old Scratch X.
I had a list of least aggressive to most digressive but not any more

I would have been along the line Ultimate Compound the most then Scratch X 2.0 then Swirl X then Scratch X (original)

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=30583
AO Silver Member

If you dont want an abrasive you could try a Glaze. These have filling properties that will mask light swirls. Poorboys Black Hole is a favourite and will have your car dripping!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
If you dont want an abrasive you could try a Glaze. These have filling properties that will mask light swirls. Poorboys Black Hole is a favourite and will have your car dripping!
Have you used any of this yet Giz? I got some for xmas but still to try it.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissler View Post
Have you used any of this yet Giz? I got some for xmas but still to try it.
Aye, loads mate! As i mentioned it does fill very light swirls and leaves a dripping wet finish but the best thing about it is the ease of use. It goes on and comes off as if your just wiping a cloth over the car. I have to say mind another one right up there is Clear Kote Red Moose Glaze. Ive also got CG EZ Creme Glaze but im yet to try that one yet. Roll on nice weather!
Thanks Phil
AO Silver Member

I'm looking forward to using it.
AO Silver Member

County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

I use black hole on my car from time to time, its a great product for dark cars.

Clearkote Vanila Moose Wax Hand Glaze is also very very easy to use, and great product thats suitable for any colour and most external surfaces.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
polish

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page