Cleaning carbon-fibre-effect door panels...? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 29-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

MITO QV

Cleaning carbon-fibre-effect door panels...?

Hello all,

I've had this little problem for a while but never thought to ask about it - The carbon-fibre-effect panels on the doors of my MITO have become 'spotted' with dark stains. The best way I could describe it is it looks as if they're got small wet patches. I've always been careful to use good quality cleaning products (Auto Glym) but now they look unsightly in direct sunlight.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? Personally, I think the panel material is prone to staining and capturing dirt easily. Poor design? Maybe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

I'm not familiar with the material but for all interior trim I always recommend Aerospace 303, far and away the best trim detailer I have ever used.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Since it has stained I am assuming it is a fabric rather than a piece of plastic. If so use an upholstory cleaner, one of those quick valet type products (AS brisk is my favourite) to remove the staining. Followed that up with 303 High tech Fabric Guard rather than 303 Aerospace Protectant, that would get rather messy. Personally I find that Gtechnig I1 is a better product that 303 Fabric Guard (they are designed to do the same thing).
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Yes, quite right, you would not apply Aerospace 303 to fabric. But reading the post above when Arapoda said "carbon fibre effect panels" I assumed a hard plastic surface not fabric.

Arapoda, can you confirm?
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 30-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

MITO QV

Thanks for the replies so far.

The carbon-fibre panels are a material, a covering. It's very firm, though.

When the doors are shut you can't notice the stains but in sunlight when the doors are open they look quite ugly and spoil the doors. I'm just wondering if there's something suitable that is available in Halfords.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
Yes, quite right, you would not apply Aerospace 303 to fabric. But reading the post above when Arapoda said "carbon fibre effect panels" I assumed a hard plastic surface not fabric.

Arapoda, can you confirm?
I can, its not fabric......but its not plastic Not much help i know but i use Poorboys QD+ on mine and its great. Ive never used anything else as im not sure what is the right product in all honesty. I just read on my QD+ that it could be used on many surfaces including materials in the home.
Just to add its defo closer to a plastic I have the black carbon fibre effect dash and door panels. Do you know what the stains are?
Thanks Phil
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 31-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

MITO QV

I think the stains have just come from cleaners I have used on the doors. Like I said intially, I've used appropriate cleaners on the panels, but they seem prone to capturing dirt and stains generally. They look like dark moisture-spots in a way. I'm just looking for something that will get rid of them.

I suppose I'll just have to give it a bit of trial-and-error.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by arapoda View Post
I think the stains have just come from cleaners I have used on the doors. Like I said intially, I've used appropriate cleaners on the panels, but they seem prone to capturing dirt and stains generally. They look like dark moisture-spots in a way. I'm just looking for something that will get rid of them.

I suppose I'll just have to give it a bit of trial-and-error.
Like i say Poorboys QD+ is great as is Valet Pro Citrus Bling.

Thanks Phil

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
carbonfibreeffect , cleaning , door , panels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page