What to do to a new car? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 18-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lansi-Suomen Laani

Member car:

Alfa Romeo Mito

What to do to a new car?

Hi folks, I am getting a factory fresh Mito in a couple of months, and I am a newb when it comes to Alfas and/or car detailing. I was wondering what's the standard procedure to do to a new car detaling-wise? I am not aware of any supaguard or similar being offered for it...

The thing is, I live in Finland, and it's still very much winter time when I get the car. So it means the roads will be full of snow, ice, sand, and salt (or loads of slush containing all four). Not an ideal combination to treat your new car with, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Ideally get a professional detailer to do a winter pack for you.

If money is tight, you can do it yourself.

Log on to DetailingWorld.co.uk as there a LOADS of professionals on there willing to give lots of good advice. Follow the pros advice and not the amateurs as it is a new car so you should learn the basics properly.
mikebrown

my advice would be when you have picked her up, get out in the snow and immediately perform some power slides....

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
I'd get it properly cleaned and clayed and then seal the paint.

Buy a Autoglym Lifeshine kit or similar off eBay and DIY.

A decent coat of wax over the sealer wouldn't go amiss either

As has been said, check out detailing world

+1 to what Mike says too
AO Silver Member

As SR as said, starting off with a clay bar would be a good idea, you car shouldn't need polished afterwards leave that until the summer. In my opinion, the ultimate winter protection comes from Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze and Kinish Kare 1000P. This is the most durable glaze and sealent combination I have come across and will last a whole winter. I would imagine you have problems with your doors freezing and sticking shut, I would reccomend Einszett Gummi Pflege, they also make antifreeze for you window washers it's called "Anti-Frost Windscreen Cleaner Concentrate". Gtecniq G1 is a rain repellant for your windscreen, it helps to keep your windscreen and you won't have to depend on your wipers so much, it also helps you remove ice from your windscreen in the mornings because it doesn't stick to it as well.

Finish Kare 1000P

Products - Serious Performance

Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze

The finest car care and automotive detailing products available.

Einszett Gummi Pflege

einszett Car Care Products | Interior & Exterior

Anti-Frost Windscreen Cleaner Concentrate

einszett Car Care Products | Glass

Gtechniq G1

Exterior Coatings // G|Techniq
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Living in SA we are not used to snow, slush and salt.

But with that sort of combination present I would say you need to concentrate on keeping it as clean as possible and rinse off the undercarrige and suspension parts as often as possible.

Watch out for your washing methods - two bucket etc and make sure that it is properly sealed and waxed up front before any damage is done.
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 20-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lansi-Suomen Laani

Member car:

Alfa Romeo Mito

Thanks, everybody! Lots of information to absorb. Washing the car myself can be a bother, my carage doesn't have a sewer, and washing it outside is out of the question, naturally. I won't take my car anywhere near those automatic car washes either.

So, it's either taking the car to one of those do-it-yourself carages, or let a true pro do the job. I will have to scout out what's available in the local area...
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

It sounds like you need to explore a product called ONR.

ONR = Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine.

Check it out on Detailing World or any of the good detailing sites. It is a product that allows you wash your car in an area with no running water. I have not tried it myself but it is becoming quite popular.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verderer View Post
What to do to a new car?
Drive and enjoy it.

I reckon, good clean, clay the car to remove any bonded containments and then apply a layer of collinite on to provide some winter protection. In the spring give it a good going over.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
It sounds like you need to explore a product called ONR.

ONR = Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine.

Check it out on Detailing World or any of the good detailing sites. It is a product that allows you wash your car in an area with no running water. I have not tried it myself but it is becoming quite popular.
I'll be using it in the next few days as we still have snow and ice up in Newcastle and i dont even know if its safe or wise to use a PW in these conditions The cars minging but i'll give it a pre soak with a pump sprayer first with a stronger pre wash mix of 95ml to 1.5ltrs. If you go on Detailing World as mentioned theres an Eco Wash thread with lots of info on ONR. In the std wash mix its 30ml to 7.5 ltrs.
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

had two days down here that i could have washed mine but the water has been off for 6 hours at a time both days.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
to be devils advocate , does a car paint not need to breath when it's new and does it have enough contaminants to require a claying? perhaps it's not that new once it has been shipped and any rectification carried out.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
to be devils advocate , does a car paint not need to breath when it's new and does it have enough contaminants to require a claying? perhaps it's not that new once it has been shipped and any rectification carried out.
Well my friend, this is what new cars sometimes look like!
Drive 'n' Shine - Alfa Spider Dealer prep correction - Detailing World

Also lots of cars are manufactured on Ind Estates and also stored near rail systems and for that reason are covered in bonded contaminants (ind fallout from grinding or rail dust from the tracks etc). If you look on Detailing World every new white RS Focus ive seen is caked in bonded contaminants and have little rust spots all over them and it seems to be a running joke amongst the pros who post on there.
Heres one of the Focuses. The rust pics are about 10 pics in.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=122672

I work for an Architectural Metalwork company and some of the lads have silver cars that dont get cleaned much and theyre caked in small rust spots! At Nissan in Sunderland as with probably car makers the new cars sit in a giant field for yonks so they could be a year old by the time they make it to the new owner. That said i doubt this is the case with the MiTo as theyre hot off the press it seems

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29

Last edited by GIZTO29; 28-12-09 at 14:44.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
to be devils advocate , does a car paint not need to breath when it's new
I haven't read through Gitzo29's links but yes, a car should be left for 60-90 days before waxing/ sealing to prevent solvent pop. Cars either have a layer of plastic or transport wax on them between the factory and the dealers anyway and solvent pop only seems to occur after repair work. I don't know if they use a different painting system in the factory to prevent this or if they're left to cure naturally for a while. New Mazdas suffer from lots of little rust spots too.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
careful about that rust.I had an aluminium/plastic bodied Audi A2 that had tree sap or similar in spots that had that colour and yes it was well looked after with Autoglym products....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
car

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page