full set - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 20-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Hmmm full set

I want to buy a full set of waxes and all that( I mean from washing to, cleaning, polishing to waxing) for my silver 159. My q is what set would you advise me to buy??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

I have seen Autoglym, and Turtle wax platinum sets available.

I personally don't rate Autoglym Products very highly so would go with the turtle wax one.

Turtle Wax Platinum Series Car Valeting Kit Gift Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
jay w

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt2005 View Post
I want to buy a full set of waxes and all that( I mean from washing to, cleaning, polishing to waxing) for my silver 159. My q is what set would you advise me to buy??
What wax to choose is a never ending questions unfortunately

Symon has just recommended Turtle wax, however having used therm i find them to be lacking when compared to Autyglym, i have always managed to get a really nice deep shine using Autoglym products, i can get a shine with turtle wax, just not to the same quality.

You then have Meguires, another range of quality products, unlike Autoglym there are not many places that stock then entire range so you could then be looking at mail order.

Dodo Juice is another that make quality products.....and ones that smell lovely as well

The question you have to ask is how much do you want to spend? for all round good value TW or AG, possibly Megs, the others are expensive, but slightly better IMO

AO Platinum Member

County: Fareham, Hants
I would lean also to Autoglym.
(Post Link) post #5 of 19 Old 20-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay w View Post
The question you have to ask is how much do you want to spend? for all round good value TW or AG, possibly Megs, the others are expensive, but slightly better IMO
lets say for a set to do a bodywork 60-70 quid. is it enough?? a would probable need some pain cleaner, somethink to polish it and a wax. I'm really intrested of quality products which give my stunt finnish effect. i don't want to spend a money twice so i rather spend more money at the first time and get a proper stuff
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

if it was me i'd go halfords and get zymol autowash and ag srp
then buy this Collinite 476s and Winter Carlack Selant Kit
and this
Bilt Hamber Auto Clay - Soft | Buy Auto Clay - Soft Online
(Post Link) post #7 of 19 Old 20-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

have anyone tryed that
Meguiars #205 - Ultra Finishing Polish ??
AO Platinum Member

This is the shine I got using nothing else but Turtle wax Color magic after a wash.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...0/IMG_1263.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...0/IMG_1258.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...0/IMG_1260.jpg

Any decent off the shlef product will give a good result, it all depends on what brand you like and how much you want to spend.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Brera S

Quote:
have anyone tryed that
If you have a DA machine or rotary polisher then the megs is good (as a polish)Looking at your avatar your bella is a light colour so I personally would go down the line of a sealant kit like Jeffs or a full kit like sonus Sonus Perfect Shine Kit
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
have anyone tryed that
I have gallons of the stuff! Excellent but it's machine use only.

For silver I would reccomend

Budget kit: AG SRP, FK1000P. (that's usually sufficent imho) (~30)

Intermediate kit: any AIO hand polish, a glaze (poorboys white diamond?) and FK1000P (~40-45)

Relatively Expensive: Da polisher, Megs 83, Menzerna PO85RD, Werkstatt kit. (~170)

Expensive: Rotary polisher (can be dangerous if you are unsure of the history of your bodywork), ptg, M105, M205, Werkstatt kit. (~310)

Alternatively, get a detailer to sort it out for you and use the Werkstatt kit as a LSP and top it up yourself. This may work out cheaper that buying the rotray kit and PTG. Allow 37 per hour or so, in total expect about 300 for their work(but this can vary from just over 100 for a relative newbie to nearly 1k for a pro).

All prices are roughestimates from the top of my noggin so they may be a wee tad out but it will give you an idea. I would also like to suggest you get a clay bar and use the two bucket methond and a wash mitt too.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Take a quick look at A world for detailers... for idea's. You can search the studio/showroom section and see if someone has already cleaned your car/color. There is loads of tips and tricks on there.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

With respect, you are making the classic mistake of honing in on waxes whereas you should be kitting yourself out with good stuff for washing and cleaning and polishing your car. Wax is the last of your problems mate. From the tone of your post, I am assuming you do not have any sort of polishing machine and being a 2006 159 it hopefully is in fairly good condition. It is also silver which is a very forgiving colour.

1. You need a good wash mitt - no sponges or chamois
2. You need two buckets - check out the numerous threads on the two bucket method
3. Good car shampoo
4. A water magnet or microfibre drying cloth - not a chamois!!
5. A clay kit if your paint surface is rough.
6. Polish to get a good shine, remove swirls and minor scratches.
7. Lastly wax to protect the surface.

There are so many brands to choose from - a lot on here are AG fans ( I'm not one of them). Meguiars is very good. Cleanyourcar.co.uk will offer you everything you need and is very informative. Their service is excellent.
(Post Link) post #13 of 19 Old 22-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

well, I have to admit that i'm a newbe on detailig topic
AO Member

County: Greater London
As an ex-car valeter,its a personal thing.Auto Glym products very very good,Meguirs I found to be excellent.Turtle wax,not bad but found no depth to the finish and very powdery.God luck Mate.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
With respect, you are making the classic mistake of honing in on waxes whereas you should be kitting yourself out with good stuff for washing and cleaning and polishing your car. Wax is the last of your problems mate. From the tone of your post, I am assuming you do not have any sort of polishing machine and being a 2006 159 it hopefully is in fairly good condition. It is also silver which is a very forgiving colour.

1. You need a good wash mitt - no sponges or chamois
2. You need two buckets - check out the numerous threads on the two bucket method
3. Good car shampoo
4. A water magnet or microfibre drying cloth - not a chamois!!
5. A clay kit if your paint surface is rough.
6. Polish to get a good shine, remove swirls and minor scratches.
7. Lastly wax to protect the surface.

There are so many brands to choose from - a lot on here are AG fans ( I'm not one of them). Meguiars is very good. Cleanyourcar.co.uk will offer you everything you need and is very informative. Their service is excellent.
Springbok is right. I myself was blinded by the products for finishing when really its getting the 1st bit right thats important. No point in putting expensive wax on a swirly scratched car. Once youve sorted that then theres some good AIO (All In One) products which cleanse, polish and protect if you dont want to spend hours and hours doing the various processes. Carlack NSC is one thats highly regarded.
CarLack 68 - Nano Systematic Care
Another is Dodo Juice Need 4 Speed
Dodo Juice - Need for Speed 250ml
These type products wont do as good a job as seperate products regarding durability definteley in the case of the DJ N4S but are definetely good.
Clean Your Car is a great site as mentioned and theyre always quick to deliver your stuff and have everything you could need.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I'd say to start with try looking at Autoglym or Meguiars lines. They do everything you need and are both very good products. The Meguiars website is excellent and gives you a good idea what you should be doing to keep your car in shape. Both are available from halfords too.

I use a lot of Meguairs products and would highly recommend them.
(Post Link) post #17 of 19 Old 24-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

thank you for everyone for help. i bought [http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/Images/2058-250-250/deep-crystal-3-step-system.png]that[/url] for now.
(Post Link) post #18 of 19 Old 24-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I'd add the quick clay system to that as well. You would Clay before the paint cleaner.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
full , set

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page