Cetre console brushed effect trim cleaning - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

rjc_147

Well Happy Cetre console brushed effect trim cleaning

Are there any products that are good for cleaning and removing scratches from the brushed aluminium effect trim that is around the Brera and 159 centre console.
The latest models have a darker finish (my version) than the earlier models which were silver.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I wouldn't try removing sratches from the panel. You'll change the finish for sure by using anything abrasive. I must admit when I first saw the new style finish to the centre console I immediately thought scratches! Just use a detailing spray sprayed straight on to a good microfbre cloth to clean it. Someone else may know of a way to remove the sratches but I'd just accept them and try to make sure you don't add any more.
AO Silver Member

County: -
A filler heavy polish might help you here. Autoglym's SRP is my "go to" aio polish I'm assuming the surface is actually smooth?
rjc_147

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,500RPM View Post
A filler heavy polish might help you here. Autoglym's SRP is my "go to" aio polish I'm assuming the surface is actually smooth?
Surface has a rough finish and has like a dark smoke effect.
It is easily scratched or dented.

AO Silver Member

Hmm, srp might gather up in the rough surface. Have you tried a wax? an extra bit of shine might take your eye off it.
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Water with a little fariy liquid. Seriously I would not put anything else on it. I have tried cleaning brushed Al before on oter things and often makes it look worse.

Sometimes (cost dependant) consider buying a new panel if it bugs you that much...?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybrain1234 View Post
Water with a little fariy liquid. Seriously I would not put anything else on it. I have tried cleaning brushed Al before on oter things and often makes it look worse.

Sometimes (cost dependant) consider buying a new panel if it bugs you that much...?
It's brushed aluminium effect (plastic?)
AO Platinum Member

Aye! It's likely to have some sort of top film on it that gives it the sheen, if it's made of a plastic.

You'll damage it if you go "abrasive" on it, so no metal polish... use some regular furniture polish (Mr Sheen) to clean it. It won't remove scratches.. but an aerosol polish will contain silicone and wax.. so it will remove any surface dirt, wax, grease, sticky etc. .. and "fill" any minor imperfections. It'll come up nice.

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,500RPM View Post
It's brushed aluminium effect (plastic?)
It's proper metal throughout on the earlier cars but some of the door and dash plastic (steering wheel boss and dahs / door inserts) have been made plastic on the later cars - looks crap - really cheap.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
It's proper metal throughout on the earlier cars but some of the door and dash plastic (steering wheel boss and dahs / door inserts) have been made plastic on the later cars - looks crap - really cheap.
If it's an earlier car with real metal call into an engineering shop/ supplier and ask for their scotch pads for cleaning brushed stainless steel. They cost bugger all, I remember buying them when i was working as a shopfitter. Use it with a metal polish for a bit of bling. They come in handy for scrubbing everything in the garden so be warned they won't last you very long
rjc_147

I think it's thin metal (not 100% sure) and is very easy to scratch and dent especially if you have a keys dangling from the key-fob.
I though about either re-spraying it or doing something like this

:: DryCarbonWrap.com

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Dont use anything abrasive on it, including metal polish.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
brushed , cetre , cleaning , console , effect , trim

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page