Taking on the Devil is in Detail'ing.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 01-11-09 Thread Starter

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

MiTo

Taking on the Devil is in Detail'ing..

Hello People,

I am new to detailing(infact, just learnt the term yesterday before it was just car wash for me.) I have an Alfa Mito in Alfa Red which is about 7 weeks old. Just spent my weekend learning the tricks of detailing and getting my head around the nitty gritties. Before I head off to get the gear please advice on a couple of newbie's dilemma

1. When we say buffing, do we use a machine or swipe by microfibre cloth.
2. In the morning you find our car covered with mist/ice/rain water, do you a quick wipe to dry it or just drive it and let the nature work its magic. If so, what do you use for water/ice? I thought it would be straight forward to dry it with a microfibre cloth or something but then I heard of swirl and the length you need to go avoiding while washing, a wipe should be a no no.
3. What is the frequency of washes, waxing and polishing? The impression I got from the threads is that like beauty, it is in the eyes of the beholder but what are the first signs that tells you should be really getting off your lazy **** for some cleaning.
Personally, I dont know how soon my showroom fresh car would require polishing waxing claying. Reading the forum, I retrospectively started abhorring my valet at the dealer. He did everything you Punters might have told not to in capital letters.
4. Got to know that Machine wash is sacrilege, but would you advice a getting it done for a good valet. A hint of what a good valet will charge will also help.

I am sorry if I been nit-picking but I want to get the basics right before the first dip in the bucket. For now I plan to give my car a wash as soon as weather permits and a waxing coat with Collinite 476s and Winter Carlack Selant Kit to see me through winter.
I don't know if skipping polishing claying is a good idea.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers!
Abhi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jay w

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikaro View Post
Hello People,

I am new to detailing(infact, just learnt the term yesterday before it was just car wash for me.) I have an Alfa Mito in Alfa Red which is about 7 weeks old. Just spent my weekend learning the tricks of detailing and getting my head around the nitty gritties. Before I head off to get the gear please advice on a couple of newbie's dilemma

1. When we say buffing, do we use a machine or swipe by microfibre cloth.
2. In the morning you find our car covered with mist/ice/rain water, do you a quick wipe to dry it or just drive it and let the nature work its magic. If so, what do you use for water/ice? I thought it would be straight forward to dry it with a microfibre cloth or something but then I heard of swirl and the length you need to go avoiding while washing, a wipe should be a no no.
3. What is the frequency of washes, waxing and polishing? The impression I got from the threads is that like beauty, it is in the eyes of the beholder but what are the first signs that tells you should be really getting off your lazy **** for some cleaning.
Personally, I dont know how soon my showroom fresh car would require polishing waxing claying. Reading the forum, I retrospectively started abhorring my valet at the dealer. He did everything you Punters might have told not to in capital letters.
4. Got to know that Machine wash is sacrilege, but would you advice a getting it done for a good valet. A hint of what a good valet will charge will also help.

I am sorry if I been nit-picking but I want to get the basics right before the first dip in the bucket. For now I plan to give my car a wash as soon as weather permits and a waxing coat with Collinite 476s and Winter Carlack Selant Kit to see me through winter.
I don't know if skipping polishing claying is a good idea.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers!
Abhi
Welcome Abhi to the world of detailing, a warning though, it is very addictive

to answer your questions

1) buffing, in my terms is with a cloth

2) i let speed deal with the leftovers from the previous night, i wouldn't wipe down just in case something has been blown onto the car in the night, that would only cause scratches.

3) I wash weekly and polish when the water beads start to disappear, unless there is a show coming up and then i will polish the car just before the show.

4) I would NEVER have anyone valet my car, i clean my car because i want to, its not a job or a chore, if i was being paid to clean a car i am not sure i would put as much effort into as i would if it was my car.
That said a professional detailer may be worth it in order to carry out 'paint correction' that's where they take out all the little swirls and marks, these guys are not cheap though, budget on £200 for a correction, but they are worth every penny

good luck, and remember to have fun doing it

(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 02-11-09 Thread Starter

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

MiTo

Thanks Jay!

With these instructions, I am good to go. Now where is that hose :-)
AO Platinum Member

Don't worry about getting a buffing machine on your car just yet.. the paint should still be pretty immaculate, despite the one or two (?) swirls your dealer probably put in it..

After proper washing/drying, just clay the surface further if/when/where it starts to feels "gritty"... probably you'll need to clay the sides before long... but otherwise just wash it properly, dry it properly and then wax it.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
detailing , devil , taking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page