4 hours......polishing a bonnet - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

jay w

4 hours......polishing a bonnet

The bonnet on the 156 has always been bad, lots of little random swirls and quite a few marks....

So out came the polisher today, a silverline green, along with some #83 and #80 with megs polishing pads and finishing pads

Section by section it started to come together, Alfa's have really tough paint so getting the marks out of the paint can take a little time

I only took pics at the end, mind you i still have the rest of the car to do yet....

The wing..... Still with lots of random swirls
wing2.jpg

The bonnet, now as smooth as a babys bum
bonnet.jpg

After polishing it was finished off with Dodos Purple Haze and Red Mist...

I will update as i progress panel by panel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire
Top work fella!! Looking good!
jay w

yeah, it was good stress relief

AO Platinum Member

I bet it was. Making cars look good is always a calming thing
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Great result.

Just remember to ask your neighours if they will be wanting to sleep when you come to do the roof.

Bloody thing starts to resonate and makes a HUGE sound!!!
jay w

been out there again today......one of the wings today....

I could do a few panels a day if i wanted to but i would rather take my time and get each panel right

So first thing, mask it up...
DSCF4483.jpg
DSCF4485.jpg

some of the tools
DSCF4486.jpg

There were a few marks on the wing i was determined to get rid of, they were however very deep
DSCF4484.jpg

So off we go, the first pass, i did a 50/50 but it isn't that visible
as you are looking at the pic the left of the pic is the polished side, my left hand is on the masking line, the lens on a pit of overpolish and the right hand is on the untreated side of the wing, there seems to be a blueish tinge to the unpolished section
DSCF4487.jpg
slightly better view from this angle
DSCF4490.jpg

jay w

and those marks i had pictured earlier.....gone
DSCF4491.jpg

the finished article...
DSCF4497.jpg

some beading shots
DSCF4492.jpg
DSCF4493.jpg

enjoy......tomorrow, the passenger door

Darren156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
I bet it was. Making cars look good is always a calming thing
Calming? I still have nightmares about that Probe,

AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

brill mate

want to do my GTV??
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

Very nice mate! Iv got to do that to my new bonnet. No stone chips on it but loads of swirls...well...not quite as bad as my old one!
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Jay, cant you get the images in the Lounge in a bigger size or pop them on DW or CYC.co.uk? Looks like an awesome job and the beading pics are class!! How long did you leave between Wax and Red Mist? Really the Wax is meant to be left for 24hrs or atleast until its cured as the Red Mist can eat into or remove alot of it as it bonds to the paint. I used it a few times over Supernatural straight after buffing before reading about these issues on DW!
How do you find the Megs #80 & #83? Im just weighing up which polishes to get for my car. I think im going with the Menz samples of 203S, Final Finishes 106F and 85RD. Medium, Light and Fine in english. Its a bit daunting looking i have to say! I want some Megs #205 but its mega bucks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29
0of0

Good work Jay

jay w

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
Jay, cant you get the images in the Lounge in a bigger size or pop them on DW or CYC.co.uk? Looks like an awesome job and the beading pics are class!! How long did you leave between Wax and Red Mist? Really the Wax is meant to be left for 24hrs or atleast until its cured as the Red Mist can eat into or remove alot of it as it bonds to the paint. I used it a few times over Supernatural straight after buffing before reading about these issues on DW!
How do you find the Megs #80 & #83? Im just weighing up which polishes to get for my car. I think im going with the Menz samples of 203S, Final Finishes 106F and 85RD. Medium, Light and Fine in english. Its a bit daunting looking i have to say! I want some Megs #205 but its mega bucks!
if you click on them you can see them at full size

I forgot about leaving it 24 hours TBH i have read about it on DW but it was a while ago

I currently dont have PTG so i go easy with both the 80 and 83, i know my 156 has had paintwork carried out in the past and i am aware that the 83 can be a little harsh, i generally don't let the polisher get above 2000rpm and i can see the work it is doing, the 80 is a little lighter and you can really see that break down and do its work.

Someone else has recommended Menz 106F and 85RD with Menz pads as well, i have to get some small pads for the small panel areas so i might invest in some Menz on my next purchase

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I seem to be following the same procedure. One or two panels at a time. Its just too time consuming when you do it properly. That was one of the things that suprised me when i first started using a DA, the amount of time it takes especially when using polish combos like #83 and #80.

I'm 3/4 of the way through my winter prep/detail. I've done 2 passes with SRP on the DA followed by megs#16 and 2 coats of colly 476 for some uber protection. I have to fit in around the weather though as i have no shelter.

I'm liking your results and I think thats a really nice colour. Don't see many 156's in that shade!
AO Platinum Member

Jay, it's looking absolutely brilliant. Wish I had the time and the inclination to be bothered with mine!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 650
County: Leicestershire
Top job fella
mikebrown

fantastic job....

jay w

Moving on to the roof.......

it wasn't in a very good state, there were a lot of random swirls and some deep scratches that i knew i was not going to be able to get rid of, i could however 'kill' the edges of the scratch and thus make it look less obvious.

so first mask up and remove the roof bars

DSCF4576.jpg
DSCF4577.jpg

Some of the 'damage'

DSCF4578.jpeg
DSCF4579.jpeg
DSCF4580.jpeg

because it was cold today i knew that the #83 would need more work in order for it to do its job so i separated the roof into smaller areas.

DSCF4590.jpg

jay w

I didn't do any 'during pics' as it was too cold and i just wanted to get it done.....

so, some of the damage after the polishing....
DSCF4585.jpeg

DSCF4586.jpeg

and a couple of before and after shots....

Before
DSCF4592.jpeg

After
DSCF4591.jpeg

Before
DSCF4593.jpeg

After
DSCF4594.jpeg

it got too cold and too dark to do the #80, so that's tomorrow

Last edited by jay w; 07-11-09 at 18:32. Reason: forgot to ad the pictures....doh

AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

And I thought I was good washing the 159 at 9.00 this morning when it was 3 degrees and polishing the GT's boot lid.

You're a hero, mate.

Keep it up
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Mito 120 Veloce

That is amazing :O
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Nice write up. Glad you are enjoying yourself.

Megs #83 and #80 are good old classics and you can't go wrong with them. I use them all the time.
K9d
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Your car is looking amazing.

Think I will have to come to Bristol on Sunday with my 146 and pick your brains on DAs & polishes, my wife has given in to my constant badgering and is letting me buy one.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

156 2.4 jtd 20v

it looks flippin great. can you explain your process and products? is this method only good for flat paint or would it be ok on metallcs?
jay w

thanks for the compliments guys

K9, i'll bring some kit with me on Sunday for you to have a look at, polishes etc.

156_2.4 - the process i use would work for th same for solids or metallic colours, i did the same on my '96 spider.
First wash the car using two buckets, one with car shampoo and the other with clean water, i use a lambswool mitt as well.
dry the car and then Clay it, this gets rid of all the small contaminants and leave the paint really smooth and slippery to the touch
then on to polishing, i work in small areas, the largest i will work is an area 18''x18'', it allows me to keep the compounds warm so they can do their work
I have a rotary polisher i start at 1100rpm and in a uniform motion cover the area in a left to right, right to left motion slowly so as to start 'working' the compound. Once i have done a 'pass' of left to right i then go forward, backward - backward, forward in a sweeping motion, all of this is done at 1100 rpm and takes about 2 minutes.
the process is repeated at 1300, 1500, 1700 1900 and 2100 rpm, all the time taking great care not to 'breakthrough' the paint. The idea with doing it in stages is to allow the compound to break down and do its work, by doing it in steps means you have a gradual process rather than attacking the paint too violently.
Once you have gone through the previous steps you then have to do the entire opposite, going through all the speeds mentioned and doing left - right, forward - backward, until you are back at 1100 rpm, and all of this was with one application of compound.

This is why it take such a long time to do a panel, i took 4 hours to do the roof, another 4 to do the bonnet and about an hour on each of the doors and wings.

once i finish a panel i then give it a coat of wax to protect it, once the whole car is done then i will go round again and wax all the panels again.

time consuming it is, but very worthwhile, if you were really interested i would strongly suggest having a look at A world for detailers....
if it was machine polishing then look at this, there is a lot to look at but it is considered to be a polishers bible
Machine Polishing by Rotary Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
bonnet , hourspolishing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page