Cleaning Multi Spoke Alloys - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 28-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent
Cleaning Multi Spoke Alloys

Hi All,

Does any one know of a brush that would make cleaning my multi spoke Alloys on my brera, at the mo it must take about 40 mins per week just on the wheels.. i know i like time away from the missus but it's getting tedius, esp with winter coming up.. i've tried a few but nothing really works ??

or

Any one wanna swap there's 18'' for mine ??

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire
Meguiars Ultra Safe Wheel Spokebrush X1160

this is what I have
Still takes a while though to do my 18's even with the brush.

County: Cork
Garage
Have you sealed your alloys ? It's worth taking off your alloys & cleaning them properly, then wax them & seal them, I used a few coats of Poorboy's Wheel Sealant http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Poorboys-Wheel...item5d24c30434

It makes clean them really easy once they have been cleaned, now I only give them a wash with shampoo & they clean up really easily & no problems with brake dust. I just them a quick wipe with a microfibre mitt
(Post Link) post #4 of 18 Old 28-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

i Have one of those but didn't find it that effective, maybe i'm looking for something that doesn't exist
(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 28-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Have you sealed your alloys ? It's worth taking off your alloys & cleaning them properly, then wax them & seal them, I used a few coats of Poorboy's Wheel Sealant http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Poorboys-Wheel...item5d24c30434

It makes clean them really easy once they have been cleaned, now I only give them a wash with shampoo & they clean up really easily & no problems with brake dust. I just them a quick wipe with a microfibre mitt
No i've not sealed them, might be worth a punt tho...
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Yeah, good advice above. Spend a while giving them a good clean and wheel wax and you will save yourself a buddle of time and effort in the long run. You might have to clay the first time.

Whatever you do, don't fall into the trap of using any kind of wheel cleaner as you will pit the alloys and make cleaning more and more difficult. Wash with regular car shampoo and a dedicated cloth.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Ex GT 3.2 V6

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I luv those wheels but every time i see a set on a brera i just cringe with the thought of cleaning them. I don't think you'll be able to cut the time down that much tbh. Just one of those things you'll have to put up with.
(Post Link) post #9 of 18 Old 29-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissler View Post
Just one of those things you'll have to put up with.
i was hoping that wasn't going to be the answer
AO Silver Member

Polishing and waxing them will help but you've still got all those individual liitle surfaces of the spokes to clean. My 17" multi spokes take me about 20 - 30 mins depending on the state of them and i clean them once a week. Best thing is to get a descent sponge and cut it to suit the wheels and just use your normal car shampoo. Wheel cleaner imo is a waste of money and will strip any protection off the wheels that you've applied.

Also once you've developed a good routine it tends to speed things up a little, just be nice
and methodical i.e. face of the wheels follwed by the inside of spokes starting from the top so the suds run down the wheels making the bottom half a bit easier to clean.

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twissler View Post
I don't think you'll be able to cut the time down that much tbh.
I don't agree, as I said clean the wheels, maybe clay them also then wax & seal them. Now after doing this don't ever again use wheel cleaner as it will strip off all of the protection unless you plan to wax & seal again.

You should now be able to get you wheels clean with just a quick rub of a sponge or soft brush with some shampoo & NO elbow grease if you give them a wash every week or every 2nd week

Last edited by David P; 29-10-09 at 16:32.
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

^^ what he said.
i took my wheels off and clayed them, then polished them. no matter how dirty they get now, all the gunge comes off with soapy water.
an afternoons work has saved me time on my weekly clean.
Lord Melch

Quote:

+1 on the PB Wheel Sealant - deffo the way to go.. Poorboys Wheel Sealant

Never use wheel cleaner again - not needed, just shampoo, mitt, rinse - brilliant and IMHO some wheel cleaners are very nasty.
To get to the back this is a great brush : http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels.../prod_480.html

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I've got one of these:
Sonic Scrubber Pro Detailer Brush from Halfords Price £14.99

Probably doesn't save any time, but it does save a hell of a lot of effort.
Lord Melch

Wheel Sealant ! Then no scrubbing, harsh cleaners etc etc..

AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
I use Turtlewax Zipwax in a bottle with a halfords alloy brush and a £1 wash mitt, Works for me
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I don't agree, as I said clean the wheels, maybe clay them also then wax & seal them. Now after doing this don't ever again use wheel cleaner as it will strip off all of the protection unless you plan to wax & seal again.

You should now be able to get you wheels clean with just a quick rub of a sponge or soft brush with some shampoo & NO elbow grease if you give them a wash every week or every 2nd week
I agree with you that cleaning the wheels will be easier once they have been sealed. But the problem here is the design of the wheels. With all those spokes you'd never get them clean in 15 mins.
Lord Melch

Only takes me about 15 mins with my Alfa 18" wheels, and they are pretty tricky..

I use PB wheel sealant.

To wash a Megs Mitt, Easy Detail brush : EZ Detail Wheel Brush and a smaller brush for the corners : Soft 1 inch round wheel and detail brush

Just CG Citrus Wash and Gloss shampoo, and the hose. NO wheel cleaners..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
alloys , cleaning , multi , spoke

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page