Black gtv - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 17-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

1998 GTV

Black gtv

Sorry to be lazy, but can I just ask a couple of questions.

Just got a Black gtv, Paintwork looks ok, ( except for not perfect re-spray on back quarters )

Being black it shows most scratches and flaws, But what I want to Know is which is the best colour fill polist to use, or should I avoid these and use something else?

If I do use a colour match polish which is the best off the shelf wax I can use?

Any other tips for black paintwork appreciated.

Thanks
Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
My Dad uses Black Turtlewax colour magic on his Renault Clio.

It does a great job of masking the scratches and swirls, and because it is wax based you don't need to add anything else over the top.

The shine is excellent as well, and isn't too much hard work to use.

Others are bound to have their own preferences though.
Damien_C

I agree with Symon it is actually good stuff. I use it a few times on my car but not too much. I like the AG SRP.

AO Silver Member

County: Northumberland
PoorBoys Black Hole is a great filler.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
I agree with Symon it is actually good stuff. I use it a few times on my car but not too much. I like the AG SRP.
It is very underrated.

I am not a fan of AG SRP though it is too chalky and too much hard work.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
I would recommend both AG SRP and Poorboys Black Hole. Wax wise you cant beat a bit of Chemical Guys Petes 53! Its designed for dark/black cars and is 23

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/ch.../prod_337.html
Happy Hunting!
Damien_C

AG SRP is great

AO Platinum Member

As has been said above.. Poorboys Black Hole but with some of their Natty Blue wax!

As your beast is new to you, you should start with a pukka machine polish to get it into a condition that you just have to preserve.

Failing that, clay the car first and then use a hand polish - Autoglym SRP will do a reasonable job, as will Turtle Wax Colour Magic.. both of these have some abrasive qualities and contain fillers, so they'll leave you car pretty smooth and shiny after the clay.

But don't sit back on it then (for one thing, you might mark the paint! ) .. get the Black Hole on it.. let it dry, buff it off and then put a wax on it. Once you've done that, if there is any of the weekend left (you thought it was a 1 or 2 hours job, didn't you? ) then wax it again. But the beast should be seriously smooth and shiny now... you shouldn't be able to put a microfibre towel on the bonnet without it sliding off.

Then you only have to wash it and top up with a quick waxing every month or so... so you'll save time in the long run.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #9 of 14 Old 20-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

1998 GTV

Thanks ralf S.
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
It is very underrated.

I am not a fan of AG SRP though it is too chalky and too much hard work.
I find it easy to work with to be honest man. Cos I put it on with a wet applicator pad and it makes it easy as **** to put on. So it doesn't mean it coates itself to the car therefore no chalk etc. And using nre microfibre clothes really help too.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
I find it easy to work with to be honest man. Cos I put it on with a wet applicator pad and it makes it easy as **** to put on. So it doesn't mean it coates itself to the car therefore no chalk etc. And using nre microfibre clothes really help too.

I haven't been impressed with any AG products if I am honest. The only one I like is the bumper care.

The Turtle wax Platinum precision car wax also contains fillers and is much easier to use and gives a better shine than AG SRP

Plus because it is wax based you can use it as a stand alone polish/wax.

Try it, the only thing I don't like is the smell as it smells like Vanilla sun cream.

For a commercial, off the shelf product it is excellent IMO.
jay w

Autoglym - SRP, used to bring both my black GTV and Spider up a real treat....

the trick is to use a little and when the body is cool, i used to suffer with chalkiness something rotten, but polishing later on when the sun is off the car i don't have that issue

(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 26-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

1998 GTV

Ok, so far In my quest to get my 99 gtv looking good I have got some Poorboys world black hole and some dodo juice purple haze, The car is though ten years old and on original paint except for the rear quarters, what product should I use first to cover the larger scratches ( central locking doesnt work so marks around door buttons and a few scratches here and there ). Would it work using a colour match polish first, e.g t-cut or would the poorboy render this pointless?

Again thanks for the help.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
You'll do well to remove scratches by hand - your best bet, as you say, is to 'cover them'. SRP is filler heavy, so, a couple of applications here and that's really as far as I'd like to take it. You can try the likes of Megs Scratch.X etc, but, not sure how well you'll get on.

Ideally, as stated by Ralf, you should have a machine polish to 'get the ball rolling' and you'll be able to maintain it MUCH easier from here on.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
black , gtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page