Scratch marks under flourescent light - what to do? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 15-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Wave Scratch marks under flourescent light - what to do?

HI. I cleaned my newly acquired red 147 1.6 Lusso last week for the first time. Hosed down gently. Zip wax with two bucket method and McG mf mitt. hosed off. sprayed on AG Aquawax. buffed with MF. Lovely.

Only thing is that even after 4 hours work (I also did the inside and the alloys) I can still see thousands of tiny circular scratches when I look closely at the car [B]especially under the flourescent light in the garage

I assume that this needs remedying by some polish and elbow grease in due course so had two questions:

1. What best to use to eliminate this effect
2. What do I need to do before polishing, in other words how to remove the existing wax or do I just polish over the top of it?

Thanks

G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jay w

what you are referring you are random swirls.

they only way to effectively get rid of them would be to have the car machine polished, as an alternative try using Autoglym silicone resin polish, it has 'fillers' in it and will hide a lot of the marks

hope that helps

NSJ
AO Member

Member car:

GT jts.147

Yes, the dreaded swirls. There are pages devoted on how to get rid of them on Detailing World.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

I bought a brand new car once which in hindsight looked like it had been cleaned with a broom and probably had. Something like Autoglyms Super Resin Polish will help to remove and hide the swirls. The only really effective way to get rid of them is a machine polish to remove the tiny layer of paint that is scratched but then you'll need to be very careful when cleaning to maintain the finish.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

At some stage in it's life a previous owner had the car "valeted" hahahaha!! and some jimbo with a rotary polisher and a wool pad did you the huge favour of instilling all those swirl marks.

Your washing method is about as good as it can be. Actually the shinier your car is the more you will see the marks under the lights so as has been said above your only real option is to have the car properly corrected by a detailer who knows what he is doing. NOT your local car wash and NOT your dealer.

Here is an example of some horrific swirls on a lambo bonnet showing how they can be corrected. Pic courtesy of Carn, a top detailer from SA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lambo 50 50.jpg (34.0 KB, 22 views)
AO Gold Member

AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
I'll second Auto Glym SRP, amazing stuff it is! You can layer it aswell, infact heres a guide and faq for it to give you some guidance.
Autoglym Super Resin Polish (SRP) F.A.Q - Detailing World
You will need to wax or seal after using it though. Other than that its a machine correction. You would be surprised mate, even brand new cars are in the same condition.
AO Gold Member

If doing it myself, I would rather attempt to remove as much of the swirls as possible using Swirl X than attempt to hide them using SRP
Damien_C

Meh to swirls my car has em and to be honest it don't bother. To the normal jow on the street they'll know nor see the difference.

Lord Melch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Meh to swirls my car has em and to be honest it don't bother. To the normal jow on the street they'll know nor see the difference.
Problem is, you will - a bit like scuffing your wheels..

Get a pro to remove them by machine polish and you can maintain.. The difference is amazing..

CleanYourCar.co.uk - View topic - Swirl Removal : Basics

nivens

Yeah, you'll never remove them by hand so you much better off paying a pro to do it and then maintaining the finish.

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
There are polishes that will remove swirls by hand as long as they're not too bad. Scratch x and swirl remover by megs are just two of them. You can also get foam applicator pads with a bit of "cut" in them aswell. But be warned. Removing swirls and scratches by hand is back breaking work. Try looking onA world for detailers... for advice and guides on how to get rid of swirls.

Also, Alfa paint is renowned for being very hard. It took me a couple of passes with megs #83 on a light cutting pad with a DA to get rid of the swirls. Depending how seriously you want to take this it may be worth buying a DA polisher. It'll be cheaper than paying for a pro detail and a lot more satisfying onvce you've acheived the finish your looking for.
Lord Melch

As above. I found Sonus SFX2 on a 2 pad and then Glaze with SFX3 on a 3 pad a great combo.
Makes the Alfa Red SHINE with a fantastic depth. Finished off with CG Jetseal and Pete's 53

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Melch View Post
As above. I found Sonus SFX2 on a 2 pad and then Glaze with SFX3 on a 3 pad a great combo.
Makes the Alfa Red SHINE with a fantastic depth. Finished off with CG Jetseal and Pete's 53
Sorry for the hyjack but whats the petes 53 like? its on my christmas list.
Lord Melch

Twissler,

Pete's 53' is fantastic. Nice beeding, great shine, adds a nice wetness and lasts well.
Also smells great.

CG like Alfa's too

Check out this rather nice 159 on the CG site !! (scroll down for more)

HOW AND WHEN TO USE PASTE WAX

Hope Santa is good to you !

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Melch View Post
Twissler,

Pete's 53' is fantastic. Nice beeding, great shine, adds a nice wetness and lasts well.
Also smells great.

CG like Alfa's too

Check out this rather nice 159 on the CG site !! (scroll down for more)

HOW AND WHEN TO USE PASTE WAX

Hope Santa is good to you !
Thanks for that Lord Melch. That 159 sw looks fantastic. I'm looking for a wax that adds some wetness but then aren't we all.
Lord Melch

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissler View Post
Thanks for that Lord Melch. That 159 sw looks fantastic. I'm looking for a wax that adds some wetness but then aren't we all.
Thanks I do try to keep her looking good. Takes regular effort but worth it..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
flourescent , light , marks , scratch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page