Water beading. Is it really such a good thing? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 40 Old 11-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Mooney Water beading. Is it really such a good thing?

Hi People.

Last week I spent 3 hours cleaning and detailing my car. I used Turtlewax Platinum precision car wax, follwed 2 hours later (as recommended) by Turtlewax Extra gloss protection sealant.

The cars shine is amazing, however I now get lots of water beads all over the car. I know polishes and waxes tend to do this, but I am sceptical of the actual benefits that this beading gives.

For a start the beads are massive, and the car stays wet for a very long time after it stops raining. My car is always the last one to dry after a rain shower.

Also when it finally does dry I find there are lots of water marks where the beads used to be. They are normally dusty round spots.

Finally, today after it rained I took my microfibre towel out and dried the car off. Dur to the beading effect it was a nightmare to dry the car off. One wipe would leave a smear of much smaller beads and I had to go over the car about 4 times to get it dry. Plus the actual volume of water sitting on the car was staggering, due to the way the water was beading and staying in place.

Before I went over to the Turtlewax I used Simoniz Max wax and with this polish the beading was much less apparent. The car dried faster and didn't get as many watermarks on it.

However the turtlewax gives a much better shine.

So basically what are the benefits of water beading? Most people on here seem to think it is a good thing, but I am not so sure.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio, BMW 120d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
For me it is evidence of the wax protecting the bodywork. All wax and sealants should do this, its just a charcteristic of the product. It's also a good indication when it stops beading that the wax/sealant has worn off and needs re-applying.

I know exactly what you mean with the water marks though. However, the car does stay cleaner when waxed/sealed and its easier to clean when it gets dirty.

One question though. Who recommended that you top the precision wax with the extra gloss sealant? Sealants don't like wax, they struggle to bond to it. Usually, you put the sealant on first then the wax second. The sealant probrably won't last a single wash on top of the wax.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Essex
Water beading is not good when you wanna reverse your car out where you have parked it and put the window all the way down to the botttom You get soaked
jay w

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby278278 View Post
Water beading is not good when you wanna reverse your car out where you have parked it and put the window all the way down to the botttom You get soaked
did you get very wet KT?

Beading is very good, it shows that the wax is protecting the paint, and when you brake the car is normally dried very quickly

AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT

Quote:
Been there done that
K9d
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Don't know if its good or bad, but it sure looks purdy
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay w View Post
did you get very wet KT?

Beading is very good, it shows that the wax is protecting the paint, and when you brake the car is normally dried very quickly
Yeah I got soaked

I still havent learnt I do it all the bloody time
(Post Link) post #8 of 40 Old 11-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissler View Post

One question though. Who recommended that you top the precision wax with the extra gloss sealant? Sealants don't like wax, they struggle to bond to it. Usually, you put the sealant on first then the wax second. The sealant probrably won't last a single wash on top of the wax.
It says on the Turtlewax website that it can be used over the Precision wax as long as you leave the wax at least 2 hours before applying the extra gloss sealant.

The sealant itself contains reactive wax and silicone polymers whatever that mean.

Surely if you put a wax (which contains some polishing compound) over a sealer the polishing compounds would remove the sealant??

I am not too clued up on this by the way.

All I know is I get an excellent shine (the best I have had from any polish) plus loads of beading.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Water beads best on non-polar surfaces, such as waxy or oily surfaces. This is because the water molecules are not attracted to the non-polar surface, but they are attracted to each other. Therefore, the molecules will pull together into an efficient shape, with little contact with the surface and more contact with other water molecules. A sphere, or bead, is a shape that meets these qualifications. The attraction of water molecules by water molecules is known as cohesion.
Not my words btw People love to see beads but i feel your pain! I suppose good sheeting is what you should be looking for. Ive just got some Optimum Opti Seal which is renowned for good sheeting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29
(Post Link) post #10 of 40 Old 11-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

The water does sheet off if you use a hose or the watering can, but the rain doesn't for some reason.
Damien_C

Quote:
Lol, happens me too.

Symon beading for me is grand it beeds and then when I use the microfibre towel its grand never have any issues with streaking etc.

BUNYIP

Drive up and down the road and the beads will fly off, no buff, no streaks, no effort.

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I would say that beading in itseld is not a good thing - but it is a symptom of a good thing, and therefore desirable.
AO Platinum Member

Aye! Beading is good... but I would question whether the car really is staying wetter for longer. Unless the water was bonding to the wax/sealant (which is the opposite of what wax/sealant normally does) then the water should find it easier to drain or evaporate off a wax/sealed surface.

It could be that you're just comparing October (damp and 'orrible) with the last time you used anything .. e.g. in July (dry and warm). Temperature and humidity (or lack of) are the culprits.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

I'm not familiar with Turtle products but what makes you think that the wax "contains some polishing compound"?

If it does then it is a "cleaner wax" which is a different animal altogether. Normally a wax is a wax and a polish is a polish. Most pure waxes are totally non abrasive and serve merely to protect the surface from the elements.

BTW the earlier comment about sheeting hits the nail on the head. If your car is well waxed it should be a doddle to dry it by getting the water to sheet off.
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

If I am in a car park after rain I always look to see which cars have the beading on, as there the ones looked after. It might also be advisable to park next to these cars as there is a chance the owner actually takes pride in the car they own.
(Post Link) post #17 of 40 Old 12-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
I'm not familiar with Turtle products but what makes you think that the wax "contains some polishing compound"?

If it does then it is a "cleaner wax" which is a different animal altogether. Normally a wax is a wax and a polish is a polish. Most pure waxes are totally non abrasive and serve merely to protect the surface from the elements.

BTW the earlier comment about sheeting hits the nail on the head. If your car is well waxed it should be a doddle to dry it by getting the water to sheet off.
Well the wax itself "contains fine polishing compoiunds which gently remove dirt and small scratches, and contains Carnuba and Montan waxes to give a shine"

The sealer contains a mix of wax and silicone polymers but no polishing compound.
K9d
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neston_Vasey View Post
If I am in a car park after rain I always look to see which cars have the beading on, as there the ones looked after. It might also be advisable to park next to these cars as there is a chance the owner actually takes pride in the car they own.
+1

I do exactly the same.
Smallville

So whats good then? Big water droplets or small water droplets?

Asking because I always get small droplets after it has rained and think it looks uber cool, then when I dry the beading just flies off leaving a nice clean shiny surface

AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neston_Vasey View Post
Only if the car's a few years old and isn't something like a Range Rover, I see so many of those guys getting mobile valeting services done on their cars, lazy.....

Older car with beads, good, newer car, not always good.... I tend to park far from the door anyway, I usually find that by the time I walk to the door, the guys that were circling for the close door-bashing spaces are only just getting in too...
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
If you have a well protected car, drying should be a doddle!

Everyone loves beading after a rain session, but, when you're washing the car it can, as previously stated, be a bit of a pain.

If you 'sheet' the water though with an open-hose, it almost makes the car self-drying.

Check this out from the other day..

BMW Z4 :: IMG_0080.flv video by WhiteDetails - Photobucket

All that was left after this was a quick pat with a plush drying towel and I was finished. Vonderbaa!

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWD View Post
If you have a well protected car, drying should be a doddle!

Everyone loves beading after a rain session, but, when you're washing the car it can, as previously stated, be a bit of a pain.

If you 'sheet' the water though with an open-hose, it almost makes the car self-drying.

Check this out from the other day..

BMW Z4 :: IMG_0080.flv video by WhiteDetails - Photobucket

All that was left after this was a quick pat with a plush drying towel and I was finished. Vonderbaa!

Hi jim, ive tried this using my PW Lance with the end section off but it doesnt have the same effect. I think the water is slightly too fast or maybe im not close enough and at the wrong trajectory!
The best beads ive seen have been from Dodo Juice Supernatural & Red Mist. They were about 10 mm dia and nearly spherical standing right up. I hear the Colly waxes and Finish Kare 1000p which i have but am yet to use are the kings at beading.
Have you used Opti-Seal Jim?
Thanks Phil
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Quote:
Yeah I got soaked

I still havent learnt I do it all the bloody time
should try it with a GTV the whole roof drops in through the window

Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
should try it with a GTV the whole roof drops in through the window

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Thats why I fitted wind deflectors on my 145......nowt to do with the wind. lol.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
beading , good , thing , water

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page