I'd like to try snow foam... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 14-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
I'd like to try snow foam...

I'd like to try snow foam to pre-wash my car. I have a Halfords pressure washer that has the standard long high-pressure lance, and also a little bottle thing with a nozzle to fit to the end.

Having had a look round the car cleaning websites it seems the thing to use is a bottle with a mixture adjustment knob on - however I'm not going to spend 40+ on something like this.

Is the bottle that comes with my Halfords washer suitable (I know it probably won't be amazing but I'm not too bothered) for this - and am I right in thinking I'd buy a bottle of snow foam (something like this), put some (how much?) in the bottle, and spray away?

Any help appreicated cheers

My Flickr Photos | Leave late, drive fast
2002 147 2.0 Twin Spark Lusso . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 156 2.5 V6 SP3 Q2 - Gone but not forgotten

For Sale - Pair of 156 headlights. PM if interested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

Valet Pro - PH Neutral Snow Foam

is what you need, IT will foam and do the job but it wont be as good as a proper lance.
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 14-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Cheers Paul, might give that a go - so do you reckon it will provide a reasonable sheet of foam to cover the car using the budget Halfords bottle thing?
NSJ
AO Member

Member car:

GT jts.147

No, but it will achieve what you want, namely a pre-wash rinse.
nivens

I wouldn't bother. I've been messing with snow foams all summer now and decided they are pretty much pointless unless your following it up with some serious pressure washing. Unless your a serious detailer, then like me, you won't find much use for it once the novelty wears off.

AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Can i just say the bottle that comes with it utter cack! I tried pre washing my car with some megs gold class in it and it emptied in 10 seconds! It isnt anything like foam and isnt even like suds. Its a waste of time mate. Mines in the bin. If you can try and get a sample of snow foam from somewhere to try before you blast 10-20 on 1 to 4ltrs. The only way you will truely get foam is with a foam lance. Heres a cheap alternative though.
Super Spray - Just clip the hose and spray

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29
nivens

Don't get me wrong, I've got it to a stage where i get foam that goes on like shaving foam.....but its still doesn't shift any dirt and you still end up with a mitt and bucket (or two) to finish the job properly. Your better off spending your money on something else and just pre rinsing the worst bits with a good old fashioned spray bottle.

Super Snow Foam
The art of snowfoam is its chemistry that is designed to foam and attack dirt.

Its designed to be put onto the paintwork which then agitates by movement down the panel and the fact it eats into the foreign matter on the panel in a soaking action. Once it has attacked the dirt or foreign matter it is then sprayed off, the snowfoam has now done its job.

The next stage is to then wash the panel with a quality shampoo which has a good lubricity, forget bubbles its the silkiness of the shampoo that matters which is why good quality shampoos hardly foams at all. Less friction = less swirls.

To apply a second layer of snowfoam and use with a wash mitt in my eyes is incorrect simply because its not the same product as shampoo it doesnt hold any lubricity properties in any form and if you add shampoo to foam it foams less.

Personally my opinion is that, to snowfoam more than once doesnt benefit the paint work if anything i believe its an extra process that can add swirls as any contact before shampooing can do this, hence snowfoaming in the first place for less contact.

i hope this helps clear a few things up for you...
AO Silver Member

A really good product is Valet Pros Orange Pre Wash. It dilutes 1:10 and if you buy a pressure spray bottle from Wilkos for 1.99 it is great for doing all door shuts, badge areas and lower section covered in a traffic film.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA Q2 SW

I've just purchased one of these, have wanted one for some time but always thought that they were too expensive.... until I saw this deal.

Used it only once, it had a slight leak but the guys have told me how to fix it... otherwise they will hapilly replace it for another.... so shall have another go this weekend!

So - hope this link is of use.....

HD Foam Lance Kit - Polished Bliss Car Care and Detailing Products
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156GTASW View Post
I've just purchased one of these, have wanted one for some time but always thought that they were too expensive.... until I saw this deal.

Used it only once, it had a slight leak but the guys have told me how to fix it... otherwise they will hapilly replace it for another.... so shall have another go this weekend!

So - hope this link is of use.....

HD Foam Lance Kit - Polished Bliss Car Care and Detailing Products
Ive been hearing great things about Megs Hyperwash!
Lord Melch

SF is typically designed as a pre-wash, so it will soften up any loose dirt, and when you rinse this will be carried away - works for me.

You have less dirt on the car when you wash, and less chance of damaging the paintwork.

Valet Pro pH neutral works for me with a Karcher Lance and the CYC / AB snow foam Lance

Autobrite Heavy Duty Foam Lance

Snow Foam Lance

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
foam , snow

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page