Washing car cleaning cloths... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 14-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Washing car cleaning cloths...

Hey guys, just wondering what you think the best ways to keep your car cleaning cloths clean are?

I have a few different types - a microfibre mitt, microfibre cloths, foam wax applicators, cotton cloths, chamois and a waffle towel - some of these are pretty grubby, particularly the foam pads.

Is the best thing to soak them in boiling water with some washing up liquid or something, or just stick them in the washing machine like I would my pants?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

I soak mine in warm water and keep it warm for a while, give them a roody good rinse etc, then i stick the lot through the washer machine but with NO fabric softener or cleaner.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 14-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Oh so you think just put them in the machine and switch it on - no detergent/softener/anything else of any sort? Would this apply to everything I mentioned, including the microfibres and the foam pads?

Cheers
NSJ
AO Member

Member car:

GT jts.147

40 degree wash with non powder detergent. You can get specific microfibre detergent from, I think , Chemical Guys.
AO Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

147 GTA

I Persil non bio 40 degree the whole lot foam applicator pads / micro fibre the whole lot with no problems
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

alph a ramayo

Stick your cloths in the washer

And boil ya pants
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

I wouldn't put the foam applicators in the washing machine. The product gets trapped inside the applicator and turns into a sticky mess besides contaminating all your cloths. I clean them in hot soapy water with dishwashing liquid and dry them separately.

All the cloths etc get rinsed first to get loose dirt off and then washed in washing machine with no softener, and dried in the tumble drier. If one of them is particularly dirty (say you have been detailing wheels) the I wash it by hand first.
AO Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

147 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
I wouldn't put the foam applicators in the washing machine. The product gets trapped inside the applicator and turns into a sticky mess besides contaminating all your cloths. I clean them in hot soapy water with dishwashing liquid and dry them separately.

All the cloths etc get rinsed first to get loose dirt off and then washed in washing machine with no softener, and dried in the tumble drier. If one of them is particularly dirty (say you have been detailing wheels) the I wash it by hand first.
I did miss that bit out oops, whilst I do put everything in the washing machine, if used with anything such as wax/polish etc i wash it before hand with warm water and a little fairy liquid which is good for waxy/greasy things
AO Platinum Member

Use the washing machine/soap powder for everything as if you were washing your rods.

It's soap powder's job is to dissolve wax, grease and non-water soluble concoctions anyways so it will get the job done with no side effects.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
car , cleaning , cloths , washing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page