Newbie help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 05-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Aberdeen
Wave Newbie help

Ok boys, time to show off your know how!

I've had my Brera a week and I think it's time she had a bath. What should I be doing and what products should I use to keep her in tip top condition? This is not something I've ever been too about before but since I've bothered to get decent wheels I realise I need to put the effort in.

As per the pic in my Avatar she's red with the horseshoe alloys. I've noticed one or two shallow scratches around the Brera badge on the boot and also on the drivers door so anything that will improve these is also welcome

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 650
County: Leicestershire
well i'm using autoglym products at the moment and have been pretty pleased with the results
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

have a read through SR's thread at the top of the forum. covers everything you'll need to know.
AO Member

County: Northumberland
go on detailing world.co.uk. Depends on how serious you are wishing to go on this. Recommend Bilberry for your wheels, you can dilute it to how weak/strong you require depending on how dirty your wheels are. Good cheap quick was is Autoglyms aquawax. Then a nice trim 'blackener' is chemical guys new look trim gel. Will last for years upon years that bottle, even if you use it every week. Gizto is big on detailing and if you wished to get into it big time (as he is, due to his recent extension to his garage to house all his car products), you could PM him...if he doesnt mind that is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpoolck View Post
go on detailing world.co.uk. Gizto is big on detailing and if you wished to get into it big time (as he is, due to his recent extension to his garage to house all his car products), you could PM him...if he doesnt mind that is!
DW is so last year....! www.detailingparadise.com is the new kid on the block...and is full of helpfuls pros that will answer your questions, and im always willing to help out a fella in need....
(Post Link) post #6 of 14 Old 05-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Aberdeen
Just so happens the BF has a shed full of AG stuff so I'll take a look there first to see what I can raid, think I'll be getting some of those Megs buckets as he only has old orange ones which have been used for all sorts of things (party sick bags, cement mixing etc etc). Can I only get them online or is there anyone high street that stocks them?

Just want to keep the ol' girl looking as good as her owner (I wish)

Thanks guys!
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemGuyUK View Post
DW is so last year....! www.detailingparadise.com is the new kid on the block...and is full of helpfuls pros that will answer your questions, and im always willing to help out a fella in need....
Looks like they have only just started...

Won't be much help there then...
NSJ
AO Member

Member car:

GT jts.147

Depends on whether or not you still want to have a life or not! Detailing World is still the best imho. Can spend hours on there, even before you start cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3rto View Post
Looks like they have only just started...

Won't be much help there then...
just started Correct...

Won't be much help....How wrong you are.... Its is full of the best of the best...Paul from Shine on, DaveKG, Dom Frrom DODO, john, King Eric, just to name a few of the best in the UK, out out side the UK, Jesse, who is Monza's Ferrari detailer...need i say more...
AO Member

County: Northumberland
Nope Detailing World is the best still ChemGuy, im so 3008 and your so 2,000 and late!! ...See both of us can say silly things!

Anyways, Detailing World will defintely help anyone who wishings to get into detailing, that fact cannot be argued. And that is why I recommended the site.

With regards to the best of the best, pretty sure most of them are on detailing world ChemGuy! Dodo defo is!?!!!

The truth of the matter is, they are alot of great detailing sites out their, I just highlighted one of them. Best thing to do would to use all of them together!
AO Silver Member

County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

The shed with free stuff is a good place to start, and SRs thread at the top!
For new off the shelf products when you need them, try some Meguiars stuff like the nxt or gold glass shampoos and waxes.....cant really go wrong with them.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
Do Not under any circumstances use "Brillo Pads".............

Cheers to All
Peter
NSJ
AO Member

Member car:

GT jts.147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Rizla View Post
Do Not under any circumstances use "Brillo Pads".............

Cheers to All
Peter
I don't know - have their place on exhausts- or is that going too far!
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
As stated Rosso's sticky at the top is invaluable and gives a great insight into how to keep your car clean 'without' wrecking the paint through love if that makes sense. Even though they are expensive Grit Guard buckets should be at the top of anyones list! I spent fortunes on waxes, Glazes and allsorts to mask swirls etc when prevention shouldve been my starting point. You wouldnt believe the bits of grit, stone at the bottom of the bucket at the end of a wash with grit guards. Also get a decent Mitt. If you dont want to spend £10 for a lambswool one then go to tesco and get their own brand Micro Fibre one for £2.68. Halfords have a 3 for 2 offer long running and my 1st purchases were the twin pack of Super resin Polish and Body Conditioning Shampoo, £11, a bottle of Aquawax £14 and a Meguiars Drying Towel. Instead of spending £3 each on MF cloths from Halfords etc go to Costco or Screwfix where you can get 50 for £20 or atlast at Screwfix can buy them in smaller quantities and theyre as good as the ones i mentioned 1st.
Cleanyourcar.co.uk is another great site which is easier to navigate than the others and has a very friendly group of people who are also very knowledgeable. They have a website aswell with all the best products ranging in price.
CleanYourCar.co.uk - Index
Once you have a few products then you will decide on wether to stick with them or be sucked into the crazy world of detailing where there a million products fr every conceivable job and even ones for jobs you didnt know existed!
All in all its a great experience seeing your car in all its glory and most times better than when you bought it knowing that it was you who achieved it.
Have fun!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page