Aerosol paint - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Aerosol paint

I want to tidy up my red 156. In particular I want to remove some rust spots on the front edge of the roof and repaint them. I've used aerosol paint previously on old cars many years ago and never managed to get a good result. Typically the paint doesn't blend with the existing paint and looks matt and / or orange peely. Is there a technique for getting a good result or is it better to use a small brush and only paint directly onto the area that needs paint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -
Don't use a brush, no good will come out of it.... Do the base well (sand the rust and use a filler).

The paint blending is up to maching the color well... the alfa rosso fades over time, so a new paint from a can will mostly not directly match the original color. the matt issue is mostly fixed by polishing the painted area... Orange peel iirc is caused by too much paint in one layer or layer not dry enough when applying another layer (but his is not a fact, I just remember someone saying it to me).

What Do You Have When A Lawyer Is Buried Up To His Neck In Sand? Not Enough Sand.

- ✂- - - - - - - - - - - CUT HERE - - - - - - - - - - - ✂ -
Disclaimer:
This post is provided "As-is" without any warranty, not even the implied warranty of making any sense what so ever.
0of0

Good advice above

I had a couple of cans made up for me by using a colour match chart - it's basically a range of tones within the 130 colour & I chose the closest with advice from the paint guy

(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 04-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Thanks for the comments. I didn't realise it was possible to get cans made up with a matched colour. That sounds like a very good plan.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
You'll get better results if you warm the paint before spraying - stand the can in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
aerosol , paint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page