Whats the best shampoo before a polishing? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 16-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Whats the best shampoo before a polishing?

Hii All i'm going to be giving the 156 (Rosso red) a good clean, Clay then AG SRP and then seal with AG EGP.

My question is what is the best car wash to use first to make sure its super clean and how many sessions with the SRP before the final EGP? and should I give it more than one coat of that ?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I've just finished a tub of Megs gold class shampoo which I'd say is the best i've used although tbh i don't think there's much difference between most shampoo's.

As for the SRP it depends on what condition the paintwork is in as to how many layers you put on, i.e. the more swirl marks the more layers. SRP works by filling the swirls. However, I think there's no point doing more than 3 layers as beyond that you get in to the relm of diminishing returns. Every layer after the third will be removing as many of the fillers as it puts down.

I've never used EGP, I prefer a wax to sealants but the rule with wax's or sealants is as many as you can be bothered to put on.

I usually do two layeres initially and then top up every second wash until I get four or five layers on. It lasts for ages after that.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Ex GT 3.2 V6

Best car shampoo for me is ZYMOL Auto Wash £6.50 from halfrauds. Ive used most shampoo's and this is the best!
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quite honestly if you are going to be claying, polishing and waxing it does not really matter WHAT shampoo you use. You might as well use dish washing liquid as you are going to remove every drop of protection that is on the car at the moment.

The really important question is what shampoo and washing regime are you going to use AFTER your detailing session.
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso2k View Post
Best car shampoo for me is ZYMOL Auto Wash £6.50 from halfrauds. Ive used most shampoo's and this is the best!
i'm using this at the moment. i'd say it's one of the better shampoos i've used.
(Post Link) post #6 of 32 Old 16-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Thanks Guys i just wanted to use something that would remove as much the road traffic film and general c__p as possible before I started the polishing.

As for after I usually use AG shampoo, that is unless you are telling me that ZYMOL is better still ?

I swear by Zymol and it smells delightful.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

Just give it a roody good jet wash for 30mins, then wash with warm water and a wash mitt. Then start your claying, sorted!
AO Member

County: Wisconsin
Thanks for the product recommendations. Will look into them.

County: Surrey

Member car:

159 Sportwagon

Just don't use washing up liquid! Anything reputable will be fine. Personally I use Harley-Davidson sun-wash because it dries without streaking or smearing and I've got it in the shed anyway to use on the bike.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Ahem......you've missed the point of the thread.......he is going to clay, polish and wax his car.....what does it MATTER what he uses to wash his car?
BUNYIP

Shampoo

The guys are right, it doesnt really matter if you are claying.
Be careful with the clay, what colour car do you have?
After try Wynns wash & wax, really cheap and really works, trust me.
Megs is good, but it cant beat it for VFM!

Mymatemarmite

Again, as you are Claying then any good product to do the first wash is fine. I find claying an interesting process.....once it's done the car tends to look very clean but of course all of the shine is gone....then you get polishing and sealing/waxing and it looks better than you could have imagined! Hard work but worthwhile.

NSJ
AO Member

Member car:

GT jts.147

I would use APC myself to strip off as much old wax and grime as possible.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
I washed, clayed, SRP'd & HD'd Clare's Rosso GT on the weekend. I looks amazing and so much reder (not a word really).

Regarding shampoo and given you post shampoo routing, it's fairly unimportant but for regular use I recoment AG's bodywork conditioner shampoo or good old turtle wax zip wax

A the least I always aquawax after a wash so again, the protection element of shampoo is less relevant
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
I would recommend a wax friendly shampoo for 'after' these processes. I use Poorboys Super Slick & Suds. I have Megs Gold Class which i have been told can strip wax so maybe this couldbe a good one to use before all other processes but as said youre claying after so this will take everything off anyway. Another great shampoo i have is Dodo Juice Sour Power which has some carnauba in for that extra bit of protection and shine. Smells like apple
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Any decent car shamppo shouldn't strip the wax. Of course, after time all shampoo's will remove the wax layer which is why it's important to keep topping up the wax layers. I'd say that Megs gold class is one of the best shampoo's i've used. It's got loads of lubrication in it so theres minimal chance fo inducing swirl marks.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissler View Post
Any decent car shamppo shouldn't strip the wax. Of course, after time all shampoo's will remove the wax layer which is why it's important to keep topping up the wax layers. I'd say that Megs gold class is one of the best shampoo's i've used. It's got loads of lubrication in it so theres minimal chance fo inducing swirl marks.
+1 what he said. Megs GC is one of the most highly thought of shampoos. I've used it for years and many professional detailers use it. I have never heard it said that it "strips wax"

Sounds like a nasty rumour started by the AG brigade.
AO Silver Member

I bought it after hearing everyone say it was great then just after a few people said it strips wax. ive since read on CYC that its wax friendly but theres nowt on the bottle stating this?
Infact scratch that, ive just went on the Megs site and checked and it says it doesnt compromise wax protection. In that case buy buy buy! Its a huge bottle for the price!

Last edited by GIZTO29; 25-08-09 at 23:02.
AO Member

County: Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
I washed, clayed, SRP'd & HD'd Clare's Rosso GT on the weekend. I looks amazing and so much reder (not a word really).

Regarding shampoo and given you post shampoo routing, it's fairly unimportant but for regular use I recoment AG's bodywork conditioner shampoo or good old turtle wax zip wax

A the least I always aquawax after a wash so again, the protection element of shampoo is less relevant
+1 for Zip wax. You can get 25 L of the stuff in Costco for around £15 which makes it tops in the VFM stakes. I don't find it streaks, strips wax etc. The AG stuff is good too, but pricey!
AO Platinum Member

Aye! I use the Big H's own brand if I'm washing by hand, or Meguiars Hyper Wash if I'm going to use my Gilmour foam gun.

I'd say use a foam gun if you have one (or can borrow one) so you improve your chances of getting all the grit and rubbish off the surface before you attack it with clay and polish (saves recycling the grit all over your paintowrk).. Otherwise make yourself a solution of shampoo/water and spray it on the car using a pump/trigger bottle (old window cleaner, kitchen or bathroom spray bottles - rinsed - will do).

Hose the beast down to get it wet. You don't need to drown it.. just make it wet, leave it to "soak" and then squirt it again. Pay most attention to the sides, where most of the dried on dirt is going to be.

Once the dirt has turned to "mud", spray it with the shampoo/water mix and again leave it to soak in. This step will loosen the stuff on the surface and make it softer, in case it's still there when you wipe the surface during the wash proper.

Rinse all that soapy layer off... that should carry off most of the larger and softer material, though stubborn mud streaks and other dirt will still be there.

Now wash your car as normal... use the microfibre/wool mitten doodah instead of a sponge.. but sponge is okay if you double-bucket and rinse it frequently to get the dirt off it.

Hose it down, chammy it dry (people don't like chammy's but logically if you cleaned your car properly there should be no grit to stick into the chammy and cause swirling) or use a micro-fibre towel etc.

Then the beast is ready for a clay/polish etc. but this is a good point to have a cup of tea (so your missus thinks you're finished.. actually you only just started! )

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Silver Member

Have any of you guys heard of ONR? Its full name is Optimum No Rinse and im waiting for 2 bottles dropping through my letterbox any minute!
YouTube - Washing With 'Optimum No Rinse'
YouTube - Optimum No Rinse Wash Mustang Cobra
Everyones going crazy for this stuff at the minute and i cant wait to try it after hearing about it a few months ago. I was apprehensive but after reading many threads and watching all the vids ive took the plunge. A guy on CYC.co.uk bought a gallon and offered users 250ml sample bottles for £7 delivered so i bought 2.
CleanYourCar.co.uk - View topic - Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Samples
Hes running it on Detailing World aswel and as of yesterday he still had 7 bottles. Some of the guys who bought from him have already got theres next day so its all good.
Anyway back to the product, it just seems amazing and what would be classed as a miracle product. I mean 1 bucket (2 gallons) and 1 cap full and a sponge/mitt & drying towel and youre away. I'll use 2 buckets and a grit guard and before you all spit at the screen from me mentioning a sponge it'll be a Zymol one which are meant to be the nuts and what mose seem to use with this stuff.
Check this thread out
ONR, think youe've reached the limits! - Autopia.org
Update: Ive got mine and hope to try it 2mrw.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29

Last edited by GIZTO29; 26-08-09 at 21:00.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I have just picked up a big bottle of Turtle wax zip wax for £1.99 from Halfords.

IMO the shampoo is not too important, as long as it gets the dirt off without stripping the wax that is on the car. I have even used Asda car shampoo with good results.

What you do to the car after it is washed is more important in my opinion.
AO Member

I found the AG stuff to be not as bubbly as Megs gold class but they are both fine
Spacecadet

Washing up liquid, then to get the worst of the muck off a scouring pad, or a brillo pad!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
polishing , shampoo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page