Polished and waxed... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 11-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Polished and waxed...

...and waxed again! Just finished working on the 159 and i'm really pleased with the results. I think this is the best its looked.

Hand polished using SRP then washed again before applying Megs #16 wax. Then I treated the plastics and rubbers with AG Bumper care, which is pretty good actually. Then another wash (this was over the period of 3 or 4 days!) and a little play with megs#7 show car glaze on the bonnet. The reason for this is i've never got it to work for me but this time i got some nice results. I found a really good guide for applying and removing it on detailing world. Finally I put another layer of wax on and finished off with a going over with Ultimate quik detailer.

Heres some pics. A question though. Should you let the wax cure before applying a detailing spray? The reason i ask is when i sprayed UQD on and started wiping it it sort of re- moistened the wax and started smearing a little. I just needed to wipe it down a bit more than usual and the smearing stopped but it just got me wondering.
IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

Last edited by twissler; 11-08-09 at 13:15. Reason: more pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

let the wax dry and cure, before hand....
(Post Link) post #3 of 30 Old 11-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemGuyUK View Post
let the wax dry and cure, before hand....
Is that once i've buffed off the residue?

yeah and any residue that is stubborn a small spray with QD will soon solve your problem.

Im nots ure why you are using QD as its lube for when you clay your car... or after a a big detail to remove any residue marks.it can also be used as a drying aid. if has no protection property's
(Post Link) post #5 of 30 Old 11-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Just to leave a slightly cleaner finish.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
That looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
That looks great
totally agree with that, nice work by the way...
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

i think some zaino z8 is what you want
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemGuyUK View Post
yeah and any residue that is stubborn a small spray with QD will soon solve your problem.

Im nots ure why you are using QD as its lube for when you clay your car... or after a a big detail to remove any residue marks.it can also be used as a drying aid. if has no protection property's
My Poorboys QD+ has Carnauba in it but i wouldnt use it as my main Last Stage Product, i use it for touch ups. Dodo Juice Red Mist is a Detail Spray Sealant which is awesome and similar to Z8 mentioned. These products are best used after the wax has cured around 24 hours later from what ive read if your gonna use it over wax that is.
I have Red Mist and its great! I have also just bought a bottle of Zymol Field Glaze which is sort of a Quick Detail Spray/Spray Wax for the inbetween washed where you want to top up your wax. It contains 13% carnauba and gives an amazing finish!
Another one im after is OPti Seal which is also similar to Z8 and Red Mist in the way its a Spray Sealant. Spritz and wipe. Its so easy to use and these can be used instead of wax. The optiseal gives an unreal wetlook!
Great finish btw and regarding the spraying over waxes, im not sure with the UQD you used but as mentioned at the start of my reply if your using the products ive mentioned theres threads regarding using it straight after waxing saying that this shouldnt be done as it can eat into the wax if it hasnt had time to bond. Hence why i say 24 hours. Problem is though for most people like myself im on a driveway so by then the cars got stuff (dust/grit) etc on it and it would be dodgy to be buffing more product on then. I'll probs just use my Red Mist to top up my wax in the future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29

Last edited by GIZTO29; 11-08-09 at 18:31.
AO Member

County: Wisconsin
Thanks for the photos. They show all the work you put into it -- looks great.
(Post Link) post #11 of 30 Old 12-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks for the replies guys.
Damien_C

Wow great looking 159 in the right colour

AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Ex GT 3.2 V6

looks lovely mate
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

That looks perfect! I need to do something similar to my 159 too... just don't know where to start.
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
I'd love to get my black 159 that clean, but think I'd be a few days at it, one thing I have noticed though is around the rear arches are marks that look feasibly like stone chips, but I don't think the paint has been chipped. At first glance it looks like normal dirty wet road splashes but they don't wash off, has anyone else experienced this and if so what's the cure?
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Essex
Boy does that look great
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THROTTLEMAN View Post
That looks perfect! I need to do something similar to my 159 too... just don't know where to start.
Wash it. 2 bucket job using a mitt. Then dry it.

Clay it. Halfords sell the Meguiars Quick Detailing kit (clay, lube and a cloth .. plus a teeny bottle of liquid wax)

Polish it. Autoglym SRP is good enough if all these potions and lotions confuses you. You can read up all about polishes while you use up the SRP.

Wax it. Go to a detailing site or fleabay even and buy some Poorboys Natty Blue wax. It goes on nice and comes off easily. And it's very durable.

Allow a whole day to clean the beast from start to finish... so choose a slightly overcast day and send the missus to the shops for the duration (though I find having someone bring you a cuppa every now and then helps to keep you going).

Take photos... post on here.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Ralf: THANK YOU! From your "guide" it looks easy. I just need time and buy the products.

Sending the missus to the shop would be a good solution.
(Post Link) post #19 of 30 Old 21-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I've just tried to apply another layer of wax when the bloody heavens opened half way through!

The stuff's welded on now so i've got my work cut out to get it off as it rained before I had chance to remove the residue.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post

Clay it. Halfords sell the Meguiars Quick Detailing kit (clay, lube and a cloth .. plus a teeny bottle of liquid wax)

Polish it. Autoglym SRP is good enough if all these potions and lotions confuses you. You can read up all about polishes while you use up the SRP.

Wax it. Go to a detailing site or fleabay even and buy some Poorboys Natty Blue wax. It goes on nice and comes off easily. And it's very durable.

Allow a whole day to clean the beast from start to finish... so choose a slightly overcast day and send the missus to the shops for the duration (though I find having someone bring you a cuppa every now and then helps to keep you going).

Ralf S.
I'm too busy driving mine to spend a full day detailing........far too much hard work
I do keep my bella looking good though
AO Member

County: Edinburgh

Member car:

156 GTA Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post

Ralf S.
Ha ha, great advice Ralf.

i spent most of the afternoon washing and waxing mine yesterday!!

Heres some photos, i think they actually make the paintwork look better than it is!..... what you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg washed 1.jpg (85.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg washed 2.jpg (89.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg washed 3.jpg (81.6 KB, 9 views)
(Post Link) post #22 of 30 Old 23-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

That looks very nice. What did you use?
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA Q2

Cheers, i just used meguiars gold class shampoo, dried it then a carnuaba wax (harley wax) got it from e-bay, very easy to use and gives a good result.

Bought the claybar kit but havent used it yet...... seems a fair bit of work!
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALGTV View Post
Cheers, i just used meguiars gold class shampoo, dried it then a carnuaba wax (harley wax) got it from e-bay, very easy to use and gives a good result.

Bought the claybar kit but havent used it yet...... seems a fair bit of work!
Once you've clayed your car it will last for a good while until it needs doing again.....but enjoy the result you have first, claying will of course remove all of your recent hard work

AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA Q2

Its been raining all day today and went for a short drive, its almost ruined already, thats the worst thing about black, looks amazing when its clean, but gets dirty again far too quick!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
polished , waxed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page