Maintaining Leather - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 08-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London
Maintaining Leather

My 2001 Veloce 156 has black Momo leather seats. The drivers seat is becoming worn on the door side due to the driver ( me ) constantly getting in and out. It's just the outside edge and piping on that side.

Is there anything I can do to make it look good again, and to reduce there wear & tear associated with that side?

cheers all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

Well firstly youve got to give it some moisture. I assume that it hasnt been cleaned for a while. What you need to do first is clean it with a leather cleaner and then moisturise with leather moisturiser. Autglym make both or you can get any other brand which will do exactly the same thing.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

I also have black leather Momo seats and know exactly what you mean.

Other than cleaning and treating which goes without saying, I realised some time back that my wallet which always sits in my right hand back pocket was rubbing onto the "squab" (I think that is what it is called) and only exacerbating the wearing problem. So now I make a point of taking the wallet out of my pocket when I am driving. I know this might sound a bit strange, but it does seem to help and is actually makes for a more comfortable driving position.

Of course you might not keep a wallet in your back pocket in which case this does not apply.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I'm sure theres someone on here who's a bit of an expert on leather, Think is u/n is Leaterman actually! Anyway, I'm sure he said that the leather is effectively sealed so trying to moisturise them is bit pointless and actually helps to attract the dirt and get it engrained in the leather. Its therefore better to use a dedicated leather cleaner and leave it at that.

I use the Autoglym leather cleaner and then give the seats a good wipe down with clean water after and it leaves the seats looking great. But then my seats aren'that old so time will tell if i know what i'm talking about!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by twissler View Post
I'm sure theres someone on here who's a bit of an expert on leather, Think is u/n is Leaterman actually! Anyway, I'm sure he said that the leather is effectively sealed so trying to moisturise them is bit pointless and actually helps to attract the dirt and get it engrained in the leather. Its therefore better to use a dedicated leather cleaner and leave it at that.

I use the Autoglym leather cleaner and then give the seats a good wipe down with clean water after and it leaves the seats looking great. But then my seats aren'that old so time will tell if i know what i'm talking about!
All leather needs mositure wheather its from cleaner, mosituriser or plain water. Any moisture is better than none. If they dont get moisture they will crack simple as that. If there new they wont crack obviously but if they dont have moisture soon they will crack eventually.
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
yeah, some advice on this would be great, i'm going along the leather cleaner then moisturise.

unless anyone else knows better?!
NSJ
AO Member

Member car:

GT jts.147

Worth looking at the detailing world site. There are some professional leather restorers on their who I am sure would be happy to advise you.
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
Cheers!!

Leather does not require 'conditioning' with anything other than water.

Keep your leather clean by protecting it with a leather protector and then regular cleaning.
Adding 'conditioners' which generally contain oils and waxes will change the appearance of your leather over time as dirt will build up on the surface and cause a sheen.

This type of leather is 'coated' leather. This is essentially a 'painted' leather with a clear coat finish over the top. The leather may or may not be dyed through with aniline dyes prior to the finish coating.

Essentially it is this top coating that needs looking after. Cleaning is vitally important as the top coat will wear away if allowed to become dirty. Dirt on the surface will aslo become ground into the finish by constant abrassion.

'Conditioners', balms, feeds etc (traditionally oil and wax based) cannot penetrate this finish so are not worth applying - they can also leave behind residues on the finish which will only attract more dirt if allowed to remain.

A protector will make the finish easier to clean and also inhibit dye transfer etc on pale coloured leathers.

Leather however finished has to remain breathable and it will allow the movement of moisture back and forth (transpiration) so the use of water based cleaners and protectors will keep the leather correctly hydrated which is essentail to keeping it in good condition.

The routine for correct care should be
Protect from new
Maintain with a regular clean or maintenance product
Deep clean with a foam cleaner once or twice a year

This will prolong the life of the finish on the leather

Once the finish/pigment has begun to wear away it will need replacing and cleaners/protectors (or conditioners) will not restore it.

Hope this helps

i bought a leather repair kit off ebay. 5 hours (including drying time) and some patience and the bolster now looks as good as new

Try it.
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

156 v6

"Bought the product first read the advice later"

I've got a '98 156 with red leather, its my first car with a leather interior (I woulnt have bought a 156 without it),
Whils the interior wasn/t bad , I could see that it needed a clean and condition so I bought some Meguirs gold cleaner/conditioner. I tried giving it a clean with water first but that didnt seem to have much effect so I bought the meguirs.
Its not had an amazing effect but there is a difference. The seats are cleaner and look better, it has removed some colour onto the cloth but not noticeably from the seats themselves. It does take some work though.
And from reading previous posts I'll probably use a damp cloth only once the bottle is finished.
My main problem is that the drivers bolster has some colour worn off (no doubt caused by someone short dragging themselves across it) and it needs dyeing. Anyone know where to get some dye to do this? thanks
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
'leatherpro' summed it all up very well indeed.

I've been using LTT Auto Ultra kit for a little while now, and, I can say it's the most effective, 'gentle' cleaner there is. The protector ins't bad, either!

Speak to Jim @ Auto Perfection for a few tips - tell him "Jim" sent you .

A few interiors that I've worked on whilst using the LTT Auto Ultra 'foam' & 'protect'.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06667wd.jpg (40.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06713wd.jpg (51.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06708wd.jpg (86.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06676wd.jpg (72.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07836wd.jpg (47.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07278wd.jpg (44.9 KB, 11 views)
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07294wd.jpg (55.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07291wd.jpg (39.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07313wd.jpg (40.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07497wd.jpg (71.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07487wd.jpg (60.3 KB, 2 views)
AO Silver Member

Any tips for getting the "matt" finish back. The drivers seat has started to go a bit shiny. I clean regular with AG Leather cleaner but I can't get rid of the shine.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

Quote:
Any tips for getting the "matt" finish back. The drivers seat has started to go a bit shiny. I clean regular with AG Leather cleaner but I can't get rid of the shine.
Only way to get rid of that is by gentle scrubbing with a light detergent. I use a woollen fabric detergent and a cloth. Its the only way to get the grease off which is the "shinyness"

Of course you can buy expensive leather cleaners that will do the same thing. Either way you have to scrub the grease of the surface.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
I think half the problem is the AG leather cleaner.

I used to use it and I got a shine as well. However I since discoverd the gliptone leather cleaner and conditioner and it gives a nice matt finish.

Plus it smells nicer and makes the leather softer.
AO Silver Member

Cheers guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds GTV 2001 View Post
Only way to get rid of that is by gentle scrubbing with a light detergent. I use a woollen fabric detergent and a cloth. Its the only way to get the grease off which is the "shinyness"

Of course you can buy expensive leather cleaners that will do the same thing. Either way you have to scrub the grease of the surface.
The base of seat is quite shiny and would like to give it a "scrub". Can you recomend a product?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimera View Post
The base of seat is quite shiny and would like to give it a "scrub". Can you recomend a product?

Well I use a very soft detergent used for woollens I think its called "Softly" or something but any thing that is used for washing woolen garments will be fine. It cleans the leather and leaves a bit of the moisture from the detergent in the leather.

Like I was saying before you can get a proper leather cleaner they will do the same thing but 3-4 times more expensive. What you can do is use a sponge or soft brush and rub the detergent into the leather, do a light test, let it dry and see if the shinyness has gone. After a while if you feel more confident scrub a bit harder each time till the shinyness starts to come off. Dont scrub so hard that you scratch the leather though.

Heres the thread where I cleaned my seats. They had never been cleaned since they were new from the previous owner and were absolutely filthy when I bought the car.
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...her-seats.html

Last edited by Freds GTV 2001; 27-11-09 at 08:30.
AO Silver Member

County: -
I use APC and a soft shoe polishing brush to take the shine off leather, this hasn't failed me yet
AO Member

County: Hampshire
A friend told me to wash the leather with Pears soap(can be bought from Boots), I've done the house sofa(used as a hand towel by my 3 year old daughter daily) and just done my 159 black interior. The results are amazing, gets all the dirt/oil/grime out of the leather. It also returns it to a matt finish aswell as making it feel soft again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
leather , maintaining

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page