Advice for newbie please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 02-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Advice for newbie please

I have been reading these threads recently and thought I would start to get a bit more enthusiastic about keeping my car sparkling.

To start I thought I would spend a few hours trying to prepare my daughters 9 year old Yaris for sale. I thought I would give it a good going over and started with a wash and dry, followed by AG paint restorer then AG SRP. The car is looking really good apart from the roof, it is really rather dull and wont buff to shine, even feels very flat. I might be wrong but it may have been better before I started.

Any clues as to what I may have done wrong and how to restore the roof? At the moment I have only AG products and no powered polishing gear.

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

THe paint restorer can be pretty strong ! A clay bar , srp followed by some wax will be the best way to start. If Its now stained your will need a abrasive polish rather than a chemical one. I would take a picture and pop over to detailingworld and you might find someone who will pop over and machine polish the roof and give you some pointers
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Hi mate, pop down and see David or one of the lads at NE Detailing, they'll help you out and let you try some products on it to find the best for the job. Dodo Juice Lime Prime maybe? You couldve probs just tried the SRP on its own. Maybe the 2 AG products together didnt agree. I know you cant use AG Extra Gloss Protection over Ultra Deep Shine.
Just mention you were at the Show & Shine Day
As mentioned Detailing World and Cleanyourcars.co.uk are great sites, post this on those 2 and you'll have an avalanche of answers in minutes! lol
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/index.php
Thanks Phil

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bacchus View Post
I have been reading these threads recently and thought I would start to get a bit more enthusiastic about keeping my car sparkling.

To start I thought I would spend a few hours trying to prepare my daughters 9 year old Yaris for sale. I thought I would give it a good going over and started with a wash and dry, followed by AG paint restorer then AG SRP. The car is looking really good apart from the roof, it is really rather dull and wont buff to shine, even feels very flat. I might be wrong but it may have been better before I started.

Any clues as to what I may have done wrong and how to restore the roof? At the moment I have only AG products and no powered polishing gear.

Many thanks
what colour is the yaris please? i have a feeling your going to say red or black, these are two colour do stuffer from oxidation from the sun, you will be able to cut it back to make it shine again, i will be able to help you i just need to know a bit more on the colour.

Claying will only remove bonded contaminates from the surface of the paint,

Quote:
WHAT WILL THIS CLAY BAR DO?
Clay pulls out all the things you can not see, but you can defiantly feel, like industrial fallout, rail dust, and brake dust. Though they are not visible, they feel rough or gritty and may cause patches of paint to appear dull, even after waxing. As these contaminants oxidize, they create rust spots within the paint. Once this happens, the oxidation is considerably harder to remove and will most likely take a good bit of paint with it.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 12-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemGuyUK View Post
what colour is the yaris please? ,
Hi. It is white and the paint was in good condition before I started the clean up, had a nice gloss to it despite the age. As a reminder only the roof seemed to take badly to my cleaning process. Maybe I applied to much AG paint renovator?

I am on my hols in Italy and need to get the car ready for sale as soon as I get back at the weekend. Looking to sell within the next weeks as daughter moving to Spain.

Appreciate any further advice you may have.

Cheers

Hummmm, by hand i drought you could have been able to do that much damage, now if it was by machine that would be another story, if you just want a quick fix, i would just apply some more SRP as it has fillers and also has a very small amount cutting power, so it will buff to a shine, and if you want to strip any wax or polish from previous you will need a product like TFR, or fairy liquid will work , abd just start again,
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Dodo Juice Lime Prime will also cleanse all of the products from the paint and take you back to the clean paint. As mentioned the SRP will have a similar effect.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
advice , newbie

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page