My 1st Clay and DA Experience - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 21-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
My 1st Clay and DA Experience

My 1st Clay and DA Experience - Detailing World
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Northumberland
Looks good mate! You always go that extra mile, you should just open your own detailing shop right from your garage...think you have every top product going!

Was thinking do you do much on the interior? Always just seems to be exterior that you are cleaning?
I have a good foam spray I use for both the dashboard and seats, it leaves a protective barrier, its cool, and it brings up the silver trim on the sills nicely also...brand name is wurth, brother used to work for them, have about 3 cans, dunno what I am going to do when they run out thought!

What do you use to blacken your tyres? I have mags hot tyres, however I find as its a spray it runs onto my alloys and spend about 10 minutes drying it off the alloys!
AO Silver Member

County: -
I have never used Blackhole tbh but since people are comparing it to SRP I suspect it may be a little weak. Alfa paint is friggin hard, I had to use Megs 83 and Menz Final Finish to get a "decent" result. Menz ip was used for a total correction but I won't reccomend trying that on your nice new mito, buy a scrap panel first, any Alfa or VAG/ BMW will give ~ results. Sealents and wax make a big difference too imo.

To be honest with you, your car looks perfect in the "after" pictures bar the dealer sticker on te rear window. Nice work, keep it up

@ lpoolck I'm using Megs endurance at the minute, I use a corner of an old sponge to apply it. I think it's a bit too glossy for the first day or two but looks well after a few washes, it lasts ages too. Remember to scrub your tyres with APC during the wash procedure for the best results.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,500RPM View Post
@ lpoolck I'm using Megs endurance at the minute, I use a corner of an old sponge to apply it. I think it's a bit too glossy for the first day or two but looks well after a few washes, it lasts ages too. Remember to scrub your tyres with APC during the wash procedure for the best results.
Thanks, the mags hot shine does look very good, just think with a spray it runs too much and goes on the alloys. Was actually wanting the megs endurance, however didnt have any at halfords at the time (3 for 2 offer was on, cannot go wrong with that)
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Looks good Phil.

Why not step up to Menzerna polishes? Get over to Elite and get their sample pack of 3. Enough there to do your car 10 times over. Start with a low cut and polishing pad on your g220 and work your way up if not enough correction.

For the plastic trim, try boiled linseed oil. Some people have tried it to good effect.

I spent 10 hours on mine (with a cheaper DA) and got pretty good results. Will be stepping up a notch to really rid her of all the swirls when I come back from holiday.

156 2.0 TS SP3

PLANNED: Ally tray, Cybox exhaust
READY: OEM GTA Xenon headlights, OMP Lower Front Strutbrace, OMP Rear Strutbrace
FITTED: OEM GTA headlights with Osram Hyper H7 2100 lumens , GTA instrument cowels, GT steering wheel, deconed, GTA intake mod, Red*Dot 20 groove discs front and back & fast road pads, OMP Upper Front Strutbrace, new Bonnet & Boot badges, Poly hu bushes, Supersport suspension kit .
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

I also think you will need to step up to a more intensive polish and pad. I know you spend a lot of time on DW so look at DaveK's training manual on DA polishing and he gives a matrix showing how you start low down the scale and work your way up. It's sort of "the first commandment" of detailing with a DA machine.

I started on a polishing pad with Megs #80 and stepped up eventually to a cutting pad with Megs #83. You have to work that machine. They are much more gentle than you think.
AO Platinum Member

Crazy adventures dude!

The sun was what done it.. (and the 20 pints of Stella the night before!). I never had any problems with Black Hole making me spew.

The BH gives mixed results for me. Sometimes it makes a real difference and gives a whole glossier, wetter look.. other times, as you say, you can hardly notice the difference between the areas you applied it to and the areas you didn't.

I think the difference is in the ambient temp'. Whenever I had disappointing results, it's always been hot and sunny. The container says it can be applied in sunshine ... it's true, it can.. but I think for best results it likes to be applied cool, in the shade.

I also started thinking about an evening session... (no shade since my gazebo collapsed in the last heavy rain!)

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

Menz will give a crisper finish than megs but can be a bit finicky on temp +15deg is best.
(Post Link) post #9 of 26 Old 22-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpoolck View Post
Looks good mate! You always go that extra mile, you should just open your own detailing shop right from your garage...think you have every top product going!

Was thinking do you do much on the interior? Always just seems to be exterior that you are cleaning?
I have a good foam spray I use for both the dashboard and seats, it leaves a protective barrier, its cool, and it brings up the silver trim on the sills nicely also...brand name is wurth, brother used to work for them, have about 3 cans, dunno what I am going to do when they run out thought!

What do you use to blacken your tyres? I have mags hot tyres, however I find as its a spray it runs onto my alloys and spend about 10 minutes drying it off the alloys!
Hi mate, the interior is brand new as he know so it doesnt need much but i have used my poorboys qd+ on the kick plates. My tyre product is Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel which is the nuts! I'm gonna do my trim areas with it other than the Carbon Effect sections and you use it so sparingly its unreal! It goes on all other plastics on the exterior in the mirror areas etc. I do get the old Dyson ball out for hoovering duties but i aint gonna lie, i hate doing the interior! I use Auto Glym fast Glass on the windies as i got AG Glass Polish and it lets off horrible bluey/white dust and **** that goes on the seats etc! Bloody nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,500RPM View Post
I have never used Blackhole tbh but since people are comparing it to SRP I suspect it may be a little weak. Alfa paint is friggin hard, I had to use Megs 83 and Menz Final Finish to get a "decent" result. Menz ip was used for a total correction but I won't reccomend trying that on your nice new mito, buy a scrap panel first, any Alfa or VAG/ BMW will give ~ results. Sealents and wax make a big difference too imo.

To be honest with you, your car looks perfect in the "after" pictures bar the dealer sticker on te rear window. Nice work, keep it up
Hi mate, Black Hole is just a glaze, im pretty sure it has no cut or abrasive qualities and is filler rich and has cleaning abilities like Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite maybe? With regards to the sticker im goin out now to rip it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3rto View Post
Looks good Phil.

Why not step up to Menzerna polishes? Get over to Elite and get their sample pack of 3. Enough there to do your car 10 times over. Start with a low cut and polishing pad on your g220 and work your way up if not enough correction.

For the plastic trim, try boiled linseed oil. Some people have tried it to good effect.

I spent 10 hours on mine (with a cheaper DA) and got pretty good results. Will be stepping up a notch to really rid her of all the swirls when I come back from holiday.
Hay Rob3rto, i wanted to try my Dodo juice LimePrime as a starting point but due to the heat thought better of it. I will no doubt venture in to the world of various polishes and they seem to be the ones that i hear mentioned most along with 3M and Megs. I tried 3M ultafina at my local detailing shop when they had an openday on a bonnet on the wall which was great! Im intrigued by the poorboys SSR polishes aswell. Thanks for the tips aswell and some one else just told me they were getting some groundnut oil to try on the plastic to remove wax stains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
I also think you will need to step up to a more intensive polish and pad. I know you spend a lot of time on DW so look at DaveK's training manual on DA polishing and he gives a matrix showing how you start low down the scale and work your way up. It's sort of "the first commandment" of detailing with a DA machine.

I started on a polishing pad with Megs #80 and stepped up eventually to a cutting pad with Megs #83. You have to work that machine. They are much more gentle than you think.
Hey chief, i've got the guide in PDf and read it alot! What a star that guy is for going to great lengths! My problem was i had noone to watch over me and give me guidance so it was abit stressful doing the DA and claying i admit. The hot bodywork was makiing me nervous i'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post

Crazy adventures dude!

The sun was what done it.. (and the 20 pints of Stella the night before!). I never had any problems with Black Hole making me spew.

The BH gives mixed results for me. Sometimes it makes a real difference and gives a whole glossier, wetter look.. other times, as you say, you can hardly notice the difference between the areas you applied it to and the areas you didn't.

I think the difference is in the ambient temp'. Whenever I had disappointing results, it's always been hot and sunny. The container says it can be applied in sunshine ... it's true, it can.. but I think for best results it likes to be applied cool, in the shade.

I also started thinking about an evening session... (no shade since my gazebo collapsed in the last heavy rain!)

Ralf S.
Totally agree mate, maybe the fact that i clayed the car has gave the paintwork a boost and amkes the 50/50 less noticeable? It works in the sun likenothing else ive tried, infact it gets its shades on and laughs at it
Strangely living in the Toon ive never used it out of the sun. I cant believe that myself I want a gazebo aswell!
Im getting up at 6.30 on sunday moning to do it for the Show & Shine so watch this space m getting a lend of some Chem Guys Petes 53 signature wax which is meant to be the dogs danglies! Think i'll Dodo Juice Lime Prime 1st. Wish me luck

Oh and thanks for the tips and comments everyone!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29

Last edited by GIZTO29; 22-07-09 at 22:00.
AO Platinum Member

You want a nice "old" Alfa... just so you have an excuse to attack it with the various detailing products you're just itching to try!

I'll swap my '55 for your Mito, though I'm biting me own arm off. Your doodah is just too shiny for me... not much "fiddling potential".

Ralf S.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
Hi mate, the interior is brand new as he know so it doesnt need much but i have used my poorboys qd+ on the kick plates. My tyre product is Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel which is the nuts! I'm gonna do my trim areas with it other than the Carbon Effect sections and you use it so sparingly its unreal! It goes on all other plastics on the exterior in the mirror areas etc. I do get the old Dyson ball out for hoovering duties but i aint gonna lie, i hate doing the interior! I use Auto Glym fast Glass on the windies as i got AG Glass Polish and it lets off horrible bluey/white dust and **** that goes on the seats etc! Bloody nightmare!
Just looked up the chem guys trime gel. Looks cool mate, so do you use a tyre swipe to put it on the tyres or a microfiber applicator? Do you use the chem guys trim gel for your plastics and engine bay also?

seen this on clean your car - product code = TRIX7, however the £4 delivery doesnt really justify it! wish I had a gift voucher for the website thought!

Last edited by lpoolck; 23-07-09 at 19:08.
(Post Link) post #12 of 26 Old 23-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Just looked up the chem guys trime gel. Looks cool mate, so do you use a tyre swipe to put it on the tyres or a microfiber applicator? Do you use the chem guys trim gel for your plastics and engine bay also?

seen this on clean your car - product code = TRIX7, however the £4 delivery doesnt really justify it! wish I had a gift voucher for the website thought!
Hi mate, i use a foam applicator which comes in a 4 pack from Turtlewax. Its a big grey oblong thing about the width of the tyre. The other 3 are for various applications like waxing etc. About £6 for the pack. I do use it for all plastics including the engine cover and everything. It brings up the section under the rear bumper and the apron section below the windscreen up a treat. I'd happily put some in a bottle for you if you can get the bottle. Seriously this bottle will last years and i do my tyres etc all the time! Its the best value thing you'l buy as you hardly use any on the sponge for the plastics. I did post some pics of my engine bay in one of my detail threads......cnat quite remember which one now
AO Member

Quote:
Hi mate, i use a foam applicator which comes in a 4 pack from Turtlewax. Its a big grey oblong thing about the width of the tyre. The other 3 are for various applications like waxing etc. About £6 for the pack. I do use it for all plastics including the engine cover and everything. It brings up the section under the rear bumper and the apron section below the windscreen up a treat. I'd happily put some in a bottle for you if you can get the bottle. Seriously this bottle will last years and i do my tyres etc all the time! Its the best value thing you'l buy as you hardly use any on the sponge for the plastics. I did post some pics of my engine bay in one of my detail threads......cnat quite remember which one now
Yeah I did see that thread of you engine bay. So where did you get the Turtlewax 4 pack of foam applicators from? That sounds reasonable! Thanks for the offer of a lend, might take you up on it, or bit the bullet and buy it...which I think I may have to do as I am running out of my current bumper shine, its the best stuff I have used, but not used much, just that and I think turtlewax stuff. so not really an in depth study!
(Post Link) post #14 of 26 Old 25-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I got them in the 3 for 2 at Halfords mate. Like i say i have it (gel) in my car and work in crammy so would meet you after work one night and pour it in to your empty bottle
AO Member

Quote:
I got them in the 3 for 2 at Halfords mate. Like i say i have it (gel) in my car and work in crammy so would meet you after work one night and pour it in to your empty bottle
Cool, aye that would be good, problem is dont get into crammy until 5:40ish, but on a friday I get back around 5pm. Where abouts in crammy do you work? I think you told me once before but couldnt remember
(Post Link) post #16 of 26 Old 28-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I finish work at 6 tues-thur and work in Seaton Deleval really but from there make my way to the big roundabout down from High Pit where the Somerfields Petrol Station and McDonalds/Beafeater is at the A19. I then head towards the A1. I pass the Little Chef aswell at the end of the A19 where i join the A1. I could meet you in one of these places if you like? Im working at the new Morrisons till the end of wednesday this week so thursday i could meet? Have you still got my mobile? Just text me and i'll take it to work
Just remember a bottle I dont want to have to fill your shoe with it
AO Member

Just bought some! sorry, got it from the waxamomo website, on the detailingworld website they have a £5 voucher, so I used it to get that, some of that poorboys wheel selant that you rave about and a megs foam applicator! Got them all delivered for £27-£28. Not bad eh! Thought I would get it now due to the £5 voucher, you had to spend I think £25 to get it. If you wanna know it just let me know mate and I will PM it for you.

So I cant wait to use my new products at the weekend....lets hope that the rain holds out. Dont think my luck will be in thought! Just bought some microfibre mitts from aldi in cramlington, two for £1.99...cannot go wrong for that little, proberly use them for wheels, but sure be fine for washing paintwork.

I think you would have had to use my shoe, as couldnt find a bottle for love no money! Went to sainsburys to find one, but could only find a soap dispenser, so didnt know if that would work or not!
(Post Link) post #18 of 26 Old 28-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Just bought some! sorry, got it from the waxamomo website, on the detailingworld website they have a £5 voucher, so I used it to get that, some of that poorboys wheel selant that you rave about and a megs foam applicator! Got them all delivered for £27-£28. Not bad eh! Thought I would get it now due to the £5 voucher, you had to spend I think £25 to get it. If you wanna know it just let me know mate and I will PM it for you.

So I cant wait to use my new products at the weekend....lets hope that the rain holds out. Dont think my luck will be in thought! Just bought some microfibre mitts from aldi in cramlington, two for £1.99...cannot go wrong for that little, proberly use them for wheels, but sure be fine for washing paintwork.

I think you would have had to use my shoe, as couldnt find a bottle for love no money! Went to sainsburys to find one, but could only find a soap dispenser, so didnt know if that would work or not!
That wouldve been ideal! I keep hearing about these aldi mitts! Must go and get 2! Good luck at the weekend!
AO Member

Quote:
That wouldve been ideal! I keep hearing about these aldi mitts! Must go and get 2! Good luck at the weekend!
Might get one then as think they were only around 50 pence, be handy to have on hand. Was quite solid as well and clear.

They have the microfibre on one side and a tougher side for getting flys off on the otherside...dont know if I would try that side though...however it does say it wont scratch the paintwork!

Well my girlfriend has got a new car too, so shes wanting to get her alloys cleaned as well....hopefully I can get her on our OCD side so she will go halfers on the next lot of detailing products I get.

Also at Aldi they had anelectric polisher which I was quite tempted to buy when I was in there, however did not think it was worth the risk in the end.
(Post Link) post #20 of 26 Old 29-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Might get one then as think they were only around 50 pence, be handy to have on hand. Was quite solid as well and clear.

They have the microfibre on one side and a tougher side for getting flys off on the otherside...dont know if I would try that side though...however it does say it wont scratch the paintwork!

Well my girlfriend has got a new car too, so shes wanting to get her alloys cleaned as well....hopefully I can get her on our OCD side so she will go halfers on the next lot of detailing products I get.

Also at Aldi they had anelectric polisher which I was quite tempted to buy when I was in there, however did not think it was worth the risk in the end.
Buying a mitt from aldi is one thing but buying that is something totally different! I wouldnt if i were you mate.
AO Member

Quote:
Buying a mitt from aldi is one thing but buying that is something totally different! I wouldnt if i were you mate.
true, but few people from DetailingWorld said they were interested...wait for them to give the or thumbs down before doing anything!

actually just used the mitt, its got a rougher microfibre side, and just used it on my interior as had a white spot on it, with sum wurth interior cleaner it took it off easily! So will use one on wheels, one on interior me thinks! How ur polisher? Only seen somes pics of you using it once!
(Post Link) post #22 of 26 Old 29-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
true, but few people from DetailingWorld said they were interested...wait for them to give the or thumbs down before doing anything!

actually just used the mitt, its got a rougher microfibre side, and just used it on my interior as had a white spot on it, with sum wurth interior cleaner it took it off easily! So will use one on wheels, one on interior me thinks! How ur polisher? Only seen somes pics of you using it once!
Cool! Aye let someone try it 1st . Im getting some lessons off a lad from crammy in a few weeks 1st
AO Member

Quote:
Cool! Aye let someone try it 1st . Im getting some lessons off a lad from crammy in a few weeks 1st
Sweet, well hopefully he will let you use his car first! Bet you can't wait to use it! So how often do you wash your car down? once a week?
(Post Link) post #24 of 26 Old 30-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Sweet, well hopefully he will let you use his car first! Bet you can't wait to use it! So how often do you wash your car down? once a week?
Funnily enough we are practicing on his fairly new passat! Hes a lovely lad, called shinybluevectra on Detailing World. Remember i have actually tried the machine, but ony with a glaze which has no cutting ability or abrasives. yeh, i do it once a week (or twice ) Sometimes i might pop out and give my wheels a Poorboys QD+ and wipe. Great stuff and it brings out the flake in them! A birds papped on the roof today so i might have to go out and spritz it
Little tip btw for the New Look Gel, you only need to use the tiniest bit on the trim and exterior plastics! About a matchstick size litterally for each wing mirror arm and after about 20 mins give it a buff with an mf cloth.
AO Member

Quote:
Funnily enough we are practicing on his fairly new passat! Hes a lovely lad, called shinybluevectra on Detailing World. Remember i have actually tried the machine, but ony with a glaze which has no cutting ability or abrasives. yeh, i do it once a week (or twice ) Sometimes i might pop out and give my wheels a Poorboys QD+ and wipe. Great stuff and it brings out the flake in them! A birds papped on the roof today so i might have to go out and spritz it
Little tip btw for the New Look Gel, you only need to use the tiniest bit on the trim and exterior plastics! About a matchstick size litterally for each wing mirror arm and after about 20 mins give it a buff with an mf cloth.
Ok thanks for the tip, is the bottle ok for you to use the smallest drop? Or would you need another bottle to apply it better?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
1st , clay , experience

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page