First Time Clay Use - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 17-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire

Member car:

156 JTS

First Time Clay Use

Hi

Off work for a couple of weeks so nothing to do. I am going to clay my car (weather permitting) for the first time. Bought one of the Meguiars clay kits but is there anything I should look out for or do? First time ever with clay and just want to make sure I do it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Wash the car really thoroughly first. You want to remove any "loose" grit or dirt using the shampoo/water/mitt rather than leaving it for the clay. This helps the clay to work on just the bonded-on contaminants, it doesn't foul it up so much and prevents the clay (actually the grit) from marking the paint.

Knead the clay in your hands to make it soft (keep it indoors overnight, so it's already warm and soft) and then form it into a shape you can hold in your fingers but with a flat surface.

Use a bit of the spray on a panel or 12" square section, then just rub the paint surface with the flat surface of the clay. Don't press, just glide the clay over the surface.

Every so often, have a look at the clay. If it's getting too soiled, fold the surface over, knead it some more and then form it into a fresh flat surface and carry on. The dirtier the clay, the more chance of swirling the paint, so turn the surface often.

Some people state "use LOTS of lube". I found that you can tell how much lube you need.. if the clay starts to "stick" to the paint you need more lube. Too much lube makes the clay eventually go "sticky" in your hands (you'll know when it happens) so at that point the clay is on its way out. The Meg's bar is "fine" and not very likely to scratch your paint (some clays are more aggressive) so you don't need too much lube.

I found the Megs claybar did my 155 half a dozen times before it started going too sticky. I'm going to still have the second bar (I had the bigger 2-bars kit) when the Meg's lube runs out.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Silver Member

County: Northumberland
I found this video very useful;

YouTube - How to Clay Bar

Personally, I ended up buying a Bilt Hamber clay bar. You just use tap water to lubricate, and it worked really well.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
I second the Bilt and Hamber stuff, was very alien to me at first, but the stuff that came off my last car was unbelieveable.
Will clay the Alfa next week.
I have a spray bottle at hand, spray the panel surface, and as RalfS states, only lube when it sticks.

Works a treat. The polish afterwards seems to be deeper and richer. That was on a solid black car, so I will see what the metallic alfa will be like. Mind you, it looks great even when dirty!
mr-mac

I can see how this is easy on a light colour (as you can see a lot of the contaminents) but how do you do this on a black car? Is there any hints or tips to know when you have clayed each area enough?

Cheers

John

AO Platinum Member

When you clayed the area it feels wafer smooth. You'll feel the difference.

Comes up good on black cars too. The clay removes stuff that's stuck to the paint and feels like "gravel" when you rub your hand over it. I guess it also removes "film" that you can sort of feel but not really see, so claying is essentially like a really fine polishing.

The now decontaminated surface is noticealy more shiny.. it's probably just clean! Good time to attack it with you favourite polish and then a wax.. but even if you don't polish after claying, make sure you wax the car as the paint will have been stripped of all protection as well as bonded on rubbish.

Ralf S.
mr-mac

Nice one....

Week after next I will be fitting; replacement front wings, new doors, new bootlid, body colour skirts and new front bumper.... Then a 2 bucket wash, clay, Random orbital polish (mate is lending me his machine) then Nattys blue

Should look like a diffrent car

Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire
That will look great! Make sure you post some photos
mr-mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Vincent View Post
That will look great! Make sure you post some photos
Will do - plan on taking some before and afters

Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire
Great stuff
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Vincent View Post
Great stuff
.... you're eating it, aren't you?

AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Never heard of this stuff before. looks great.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

147 1.6TS Lusso

So whats the best clay to use?
AO Platinum Member

For a newbie, I'd say the Meguiars kit. You can buy it from Halfords, so no worries about where to find it, you get everything you need in the one packet (detailer and clay.. plus microfibre cloth and wax/creme in the "big" kit) and it's a mild clay, so you really can't wreck the paint with it.

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #15 of 18 Old 17-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 JTS

Thanks for the advice. Kit I bought was the meguiars kit from Halfoeds - bought with their 3 for 2 offers along with some Meguiars Gold Class shampoo and a Meguiars drying towel. My car is a silver one so hopefully will make it a bit more shiny
nivens

The clay itself wont make it any shinier but it helps take all the crap off to make polishing easier and give a better surface for the wax or sealant to work its magic. Its important to get some kind of wax or sealant on the paintwork after claying as the clay will strip anything thats on there.

AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Another good tip is to cut the clay bar in two and just use one half first. Reason being, if by chance you drop the clay bar onto the ground and it becomes contaminated at least you have the other half. It is an idea the first time you use it to spread an old sheet or something like that under the area you are working on until you get used to the action.
(Post Link) post #18 of 18 Old 18-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 JTS

Thanks for the tips. Bought the bigger kit with 2 bars and the liquid wax sample so will make sure it is waxed afterwards.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
clay , time

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page