wash without water..yay or nay??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 41 Old 14-07-09 Thread Starter

wash without water..yay or nay???

Hi Guys n Gals!

To cut a long story short...I'm no good at washing cars! and living in a flat makes it that little bit harder! So.....

Wondering if you had any advice on the "wash without water" or "dry wash" products that are available??

I don't want to put my MiTo through a machine wash and I don't want someone with a sponge thats spent more time on the floor than in the bucket!!!

Many thanks and sorry if this info is already on a thread somewhere (if so I couldn't find it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire
Nooooo please don't use those products you will ruin the paint!
Is there no way you can take it so someone elses house to wash it if it's too hard at your place?
Admin Team

If you use the right products washing your car will be a lot easier than you think and you won't find it so hard
It will be an initial outlay of a few quid (not loads) to buy the right things for the job.
Good quality shampoo - I use meguires as I find it easy to use, a PH neutral shampoo
A wash mitt and a microfiber drying towel would be a good start
You could get the lot for £20 but don't be tempted with the cheap microfibers go for a meguires or autoglym one for about £8 - £10

GTV TS - R.I.P 156 V6 - R.I.P GTV V6 - R.I.P 147 Selespeed - Who knows
147 GTA - Gone but never forgotten Brera nice while it lasted
AO Silver Member

County: Sao Tome upon The Grand Union
errr...dont do it...please!
(Post Link) post #5 of 41 Old 14-07-09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Vincent View Post
If you use the right products washing your car will be a lot easier than you think and you won't find it so hard
It will be an initial outlay of a few quid (not loads) to buy the right things for the job.
Good quality shampoo - I use meguires as I find it easy to use, a PH neutral shampoo
A wash mitt and a microfiber drying towel would be a good start
You could get the lot for £20 but don't be tempted with the cheap microfibers go for a meguires or autoglym one for about £8 - £10
Thanks Alfa Vincent,

I would like to do it myself, get that proud "look what I did" feeling provided it does end up looking good of course!

I could take the car round my mum's place. Will get myself some products and let you know how I get on

I'll take a peak now at other "washing" threads to see the best order to wash and products to use. I have previously try to wash an old car and spent ages only for it to end up covered in water marks and looking hideous
Admin Team

The other threads may scare you a little there are some hardcore car cleaners on here!
But as long as you don't wash it in direct sunlight and you use a good shampoo (such as meguires nxt or gold class - can get it from halfords) and use a drying towel (sometimes called a water magnet) you will find it a lot easier and will reduce the chance of getting water marks good luck with it and congratulations on a lovely car
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mito-chick! View Post
Hi Guys n Gals!

To cut a long story short...I'm no good at washing cars! and living in a flat makes it that little bit harder! So.....

Wondering if you had any advice on the "wash without water" or "dry wash" products that are available??

I don't want to put my MiTo through a machine wash and I don't want someone with a sponge thats spent more time on the floor than in the bucket!!!

Many thanks and sorry if this info is already on a thread somewhere (if so I couldn't find it)

Hi. If you want an informed opinion on waterless car care the get over to A world for detailers... as there are experts on just this issue. Whole sub forum for it.
AO Platinum Member

I don't care what anyone else says.. I wouldn't do it.

Probably in 200 years time they'll have invented an electrostatic car cleaner that cleans cars using electricity and I still won't do it. You need water and a good shampoo and a wooly (or microfibre) mitt.

Water and shampoo lubricate the mitt and carry the grit away from the surface. Mitt grabs the dirt and keeps it off the paint.

Then rinse... (not in direct sunlight) and dry using a towel.

The beast then just needs a wax and job done. Later on, as the paint catches more pollutants that won't come off with the mitt, or gets swirls and other action damage, you can investigate the world of clay and polish and pre-cleaners and sealants... but for now, wash, dry, wax ought to be enough.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Unregistered

County: Nicosia
Here's a tip from someone who washes 3 or 4 Alfa's a week ...

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER try to clean your car with dry cloths or even wet ones while the car is dry and covered in dirt !!!!!

Dirt and dust that sits on the paint of the car needs to be hosed down and washed away before drying the car with a cloth !
Otherwise.... let me put it this way... its like sanding your car

You shouldnt even run your fingure on the paint when the car is dirty

Also its very important to dry your car properly afterwards. Otherwise water steins will appear and sometimes you can only get those out with a good polish !

If you cant wash it properly its best not to wash it at all.
I dont like carwash machines either
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged16v View Post
Here's a tip from someone who washes 3 or 4 Alfa's a week ...

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER try to clean your car with dry cloths or even wet ones while the car is dry and covered in dirt !!!!!

Dirt and dust that sits on the paint of the car needs to be hosed down and washed away before drying the car with a cloth !
Otherwise.... let me put it this way... its like sanding your car

You shouldnt even run your fingure on the paint when the car is dirty

Also its very important to dry your car properly afterwards. Otherwise water steins will appear and sometimes you can only get those out with a good polish !

If you cant wash it properly its best not to wash it at all.
I dont like carwash machines either
+1 Well said that man
AO Silver Member

Member car:

I think the OP should look into this method.

Classified as "Eco Washing" that won't need a hose or endless buckets.

YouTube - Washing With 'Optimum No Rinse'
Admin Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3rto View Post
I think the OP should look into this method.

Classified as "Eco Washing" that won't need a hose or endless buckets.

YouTube - Washing With 'Optimum No Rinse'
Why do you need endless buckets any other time?
To be fair that car doesn't look super dirty in the first place, would like to see the same process once it actually has mud and muck on it!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Quote:
Why do you need endless buckets any other time?
To be fair that car doesn't look super dirty in the first place, would like to see the same process once it actually has mud and muck on it!
Don't know about you but i NEVER let my car get any dirtier than that in the vid.

Light dusting, quick detailer comes out. Drive in the rain, out comes the foam lance.
Nev

No.

Even my handwash guy laughs at the bozos who try and sell him this stuff.

(And he's surely looking for a easier/quicker way to wash cars.)

Admin Team

Quote:
Don't know about you but i NEVER let my car get any dirtier than that in the vid.

Light dusting, quick detailer comes out. Drive in the rain, out comes the foam lance.

Mine gets dirtier than that with 5 days worth of driving!
I don't think Mito-Chick has the option of a foam lance, but I do think its likely she will be driving it in the rain etc...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Quote:
Mine gets dirtier than that with 5 days worth of driving!
I don't think Mito-Chick has the option of a foam lance, but I do think its likely she will be driving it in the rain etc...
Wasn't suggesting she use a foam lance (she lives in a flat)
Was just saying what I do.

If she were to clean it every 3-5 days, she should be able to get away with the system used in the youtube link I posted.
The idea being, loosen with spray (solution of APC and water) and then with the No Rinse stuff. The main thing to remember is to let the APC loosen the dirt and then only sponge in one direction which will minimise any swirling. Also, use a 2BM, one with the No Rinse, the other with clean water to rinse out the sponge after every pass.

156 2.0 TS SP3

PLANNED: Ally tray, Cybox exhaust
READY: OEM GTA Xenon headlights, OMP Lower Front Strutbrace, OMP Rear Strutbrace
FITTED: OEM GTA headlights with Osram Hyper H7 2100 lumens , GTA instrument cowels, GT steering wheel, deconed, GTA intake mod, Red*Dot 20 groove discs front and back & fast road pads, OMP Upper Front Strutbrace, new Bonnet & Boot badges, Poly hu bushes, Supersport suspension kit .
Admin Team

Quote:
Wasn't suggesting she use a foam lance (she lives in a flat)
Was just saying what I do.

If she were to clean it every 3-5 days, she should be able to get away with the system used in the youtube link I posted.
The idea being, loosen with spray (solution of APC and water) and then with the No Rinse stuff. The main thing to remember is to let the APC loosen the dirt and then only sponge in one direction which will minimise any swirling. Also, use a 2BM, one with the No Rinse, the other with clean water to rinse out the sponge after every pass.
So she needs to wash it every 3-5 days and try not to drive it in the rain or get any mud on it.
It's an option I guess
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
I wouldn't do it dry. I live in a flat too, it's really not that big a pain to fill a big bucket of water in the bath, using the shower head to get the car shampoo nice and bubbley, and then carry it down to the car. Then do it again with clean water for the rinse.

I'm FAR from a hardcore car washer, I shampoo, rinse, dry, then coat in Mer (available at Halfrauds) and polish off, before applying bumper care to the black vinyl. Mer also goes on the alloys and makes it easy to wash dirt off the next time around.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
AO Platinum Member

Aye! That's really it. The more hardcore cleaning stuff is one for later.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Quote:
So she needs to wash it every 3-5 days and try not to drive it in the rain or get any mud on it.
It's an option I guess
Where did you read I said she shouldn't drive it in the rain or get any mud on it???
Admin Team

Quote:
Where did you read I said she shouldn't drive it in the rain or get any mud on it???
I didn't read it. However if she gets much mud on it the waterless system is not good for the paint is it?
Or are you saying that technique will be fine if the car is muddy
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

clio v6 255

Try ONR, you only need a small amount of water in a bucket, clean one panel at a time if in direct sunlight then wipe dry with a mf. No need to rinse! done

Hi MiTo-chick

Most of the sentiments here echo my own thoughts on the waterless cleaning products, i.e. Not Really.

By all means try it out on mums car, but TBH if you use 2 buckets method and the right shampoo and drying cloth, you should be able to wash your MiTo OK. Make sure to rinse as you go, don't try n wash the whole car in one go then start rinsing, chances are the washing water may have dried already leaving the streaks you are getting. Good luck
(Post Link) post #24 of 41 Old 15-07-09 Thread Starter

thanks so much to everyone for your advice

I will pop along to Halfords at the weekend and purchase some products. Provided it's not raining at the weekend...wishful thinking on my part me thinks!!!....I'll give washing my baby a go!

You'll know if my car washing skills work as I'll post a pic!

thanks again
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mito-chick! View Post
thanks so much to everyone for your advice

I will pop along to Halfords at the weekend and purchase some products. Provided it's not raining at the weekend...wishful thinking on my part me thinks!!!....I'll give washing my baby a go!

You'll know if my car washing skills work as I'll post a pic!

thanks again
If your going to Halfords a good start is 1 Meguiars Water Magnet Drying Towel, £10, the combo pack of Auto Glym Super Resin Polish & Body Conditioning Shampoo, £10 approx and a bottle of Auto Glym Aquawax, £13. Its 3 for 2 so that'll be £23 approx. Grab a couple of buckets from either there or B & Q and get a Micro Fibre Mitt and a few Micro Fibre cloths from tesco. The mitts £2.87 and a 2 pack of MF cloths is the same. Wash the car with the AG Shampoo using one bucket for shampoo and one for Rinsing as mentioned above. Then rinse the car and after taking the majority of the surface water off (some dont do this) with the Megs Drying Towel start spritzing the Aquawax over the panels buffing and drying the remaining water as you go doing one panel at a time with one of the cloths provided. You can do the windows aswell but not the windscreen, although i have.
Then once done buff the wax off, stand back and say wow! This is a good way to maintain the car but maybe you'll think even this little lot is way too expensive for what you want to pay.
These items were my 1st purchase and before you know it ive got £65 tubs of Dodo Juice Wax and bloody G220 DA polishing Machines, Snow Foam Lances and allsorts within a month ha ha.
Poorboys do a Quick Detailing Spray called Spray & Wipe which is mainly for if the car is dusty midweek and you want to give it a little tidy up. Its designed to removed dust etc without scratching but im not sure to be fair. I use various Quick Detail sprays and im pretty sure im inducing light swirl marks and very fine scratches to the clear coat. Theyre only noticeable in direct sunlight really but look dreadful on Black or red especially. Some people dont even notice them but you'll find theyre the bane of 'our' lives! Meaning the people in the detailing section

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
nay , wash , wateryay

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page