Leather cleaning/crack repair - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 14-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS Lusso

Leather cleaning/crack repair

I had a go at cleaning the tan leather on my GTV drivers side seat tonight having bought the car last week. Its got the usual wear and tear, including a fair few cracks and chips in the leather.

After some recommendations on here, i bought the gliptone liquid leather cleaner and conditioner, and spent some of tonight applying it according to the instructions. However, initial results arent really very impressive. It doesnt seem to have made any difference at all to be honest.

I tried working the cleaner in a little with a toothbrush, but still its not done anything really.

Can anyone provide any tips? How much cleaner should i be using, and how hard should i be scrubbing it in, bearing in mind it actually says on the instructions not to scrub at all!

Any help would be much appreciated. Id really like to get the leather looking decent again, as its bugging me at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

The toothbrush is your problem. I use a soft nailbrush from Boots. My tan leather is now clean and almost wrinkle free. Trick is, get a terry towel, dunk in hot water, wring it out so just moist and rub fairly vigorously on seats. This gets rid of most surface dirt and almost wrinkle prepares leather. Then you can go over it with the leather cleaner. Easier if you take out seats. Go over it twice on each seat. Once clean, use terry towel again to remove residue. For the conditioner, apply lots of thin coats. Wipe excess with dry terry towel. Gliptone is very good. I wouldn't use anything else in my car.

156 2.0 TS SP3

PLANNED: Ally tray, Cybox exhaust
READY: OEM GTA Xenon headlights, OMP Lower Front Strutbrace, OMP Rear Strutbrace
FITTED: OEM GTA headlights with Osram Hyper H7 2100 lumens , GTA instrument cowels, GT steering wheel, deconed, GTA intake mod, Red*Dot 20 groove discs front and back & fast road pads, OMP Upper Front Strutbrace, new Bonnet & Boot badges, Poly hu bushes, Supersport suspension kit .
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 15-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3rto View Post
The toothbrush is your problem. I use a soft nailbrush from Boots. My tan leather is now clean and almost wrinkle free. Trick is, get a terry towel, dunk in hot water, wring it out so just moist and rub fairly vigorously on seats. This gets rid of most surface dirt and almost wrinkle prepares leather. Then you can go over it with the leather cleaner. Easier if you take out seats. Go over it twice on each seat. Once clean, use terry towel again to remove residue. For the conditioner, apply lots of thin coats. Wipe excess with dry terry towel. Gliptone is very good. I wouldn't use anything else in my car.
Thanks for the tips. Whats a terry towel though?! Sorry if thats a stupid question, ive just never come acorss the term before.

So really i need to work the cleaner in a lot harder than i have been? Im just a bit scared of making the small chips of leather that are there already worse i guess byt rubbing them too hard with the nail brush.
mr-mac

Seems to be the towel he is mentioning for vigorous use. the brush you are using is too hard so that bit is less vigorous. however, from your original question the cleaner just cleans and gets the leather to open the pores ready for the conditioner. It's the conditioner that goes into the leather making it softer and close up the cracks a bit so looks in good condition.

Terry is just a type of towel sure it used to be the type of thing non disposable nappies were made from

john

AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3rto View Post

Did pretty much the same on my tan leather and came up pretty good except a couple of small damaged strips on the rear seat.

The momo leather is very good quality and seems to be able to withstand a lot of punishment.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Z4MC

I too used a soft nail brush with Gliptone leather cleaner, really gets into the grain of the leather.

After that I used some dye to 'paint' the cracks on my red leather, then once dry I apply a few coats of the Gliptone conditioner.

Got my dye mixed and made up from (and my Gliptone products):

Car Leather Dye

Well worth a try if after cleaning your seats the cracks in the leather are more evident.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

have a look at LTT site they do some good stuff.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
cleaning or crack , leather , repair

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page