Cleaning plastic trim - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

keithyboy

Cleaning plastic trim

I came across this one on Retro Rides and had to give it a go. It's probably more suited to those of us who buy our valeting materials in Poundstretcher but it's boiled Linseed Oil.

They sell it in B&Q for about 4 and all you do is rub it into your grey, faded trim with a rag or sponge. I'm told it lasts for ages as it replaces the oils which are missing from the faded plastic.

The scuttle on my car has always been a faded mess which nothing has worked on. Not any more, it is now like new as my poxy photos nearly show.

Last edited by keithyboy; 07-01-11 at 17:15.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Good tip, isn't that normally reserved for the cricket bat?
AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Good results

Autogleam bumper care is excellent too for the plastic trim. Lasts for about 3 months of regular washing.

Last edited by Fluffyduff; 12-03-10 at 21:36.
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffyduff View Post
Good results

Autogleam bumper care is excellent too for the plastic trim. Lasts for about 3 months of regular washing.
I must admit AG is about the only one I haven't tried.

I'm told that a going over with a heat gun works too. I tried it on our Volvo and it came out a bit patchy.

auto glym is excellnt!! just purchased a pack which included the 'bumper care' amoung other things and i was surprised how well it got the faded plastic trim between doors and rear door handles etc looking
also ive heard regular budget cooking oil works but havent tried that one yet!!
keithyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggrat View Post
auto glym is excellnt!! just purchased a pack which included the 'bumper care' amoung other things and i was surprised how well it got the faded plastic trim between doors and rear door handles etc looking
also ive heard regular budget cooking oil works but havent tried that one yet!!
I believe peanut oil is good too. I suspect that any reasonably thin oil would work.

Even peanut butter is good but it has to be the only mildly rank smooth variety not the blow chunks in a second crunchy type.

AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Aerospace 303 is highly recomended.
PJC
AO Member

I can confirm that peanut butter paste works a treat and last well. Used it on my boys old corsa (now gone and having seen the italian light he`s got a punto) When told of this I thought it was a joke but was amazed how well it worked

PJ
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
I came across this one on Retro Rides and had to give it a go. It's probably more suited to those of us who buy our valeting materials in Poundstretcher but it's boiled Linseed Oil.

They sell it in B&Q for about 4 and all you do is rub it into your grey, faded trim with a rag or sponge. I'm told it lasts for ages as it replaces the oils which are missing from the faded plastic.

The scuttle on my car has always been a faded mess which nothing has worked on. Not any more, it is now like new as my poxy photos nearly show.
Looks great!

Was considering taking mine off to paint with vinyl paint but souldn't get the bloomin' screw out (the rusty one in your pic). Bloody thing just fell apart. Will now have to drill it out!
keithyboy

Worth mentioning that it takes a bit of time to fully dry so if you use it and immediately go out, loads of crap and bugs will stick to it.

AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Chemical Guys New Look trim gel. 12ish a bottle and you barely put any on a sponge and rub it in and it looks amazing! You can do your tyres with it also.
Chemical Guys - New Look Trim Gel
AO Platinum Member

I use the "Big H" wet-look tyre shine stuff.

I guess "anything oily" would work.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
cleaning , plastic , trim

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page