Cleaning plastic trim - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
Thread Tools
keithyboy
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cleaning plastic trim

I came across this one on Retro Rides and had to give it a go. It's probably more suited to those of us who buy our valeting materials in Poundstretcher but it's boiled Linseed Oil.

They sell it in B&Q for about 4 and all you do is rub it into your grey, faded trim with a rag or sponge. I'm told it lasts for ages as it replaces the oils which are missing from the faded plastic.

The scuttle on my car has always been a faded mess which nothing has worked on. Not any more, it is now like new as my poxy photos nearly show.

Last edited by keithyboy; 07-01-11 at 17:15.
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: We got there
AO Silver Member
 
Mr_Caine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 3,189

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Good tip, isn't that normally reserved for the cricket bat?
Mr_Caine is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Fluffyduff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ireland
County: Louth
Posts: 2,788

Member car:

33 16v

Good results

Autogleam bumper care is excellent too for the plastic trim. Lasts for about 3 months of regular washing.

Last edited by Fluffyduff; 12-03-10 at 21:36.
Fluffyduff is offline  
keithyboy
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffyduff View Post
Good results

Autogleam bumper care is excellent too for the plastic trim. Lasts for about 3 months of regular washing.
I must admit AG is about the only one I haven't tried.

I'm told that a going over with a heat gun works too. I tried it on our Volvo and it came out a bit patchy.
 
Status: -
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12
auto glym is excellnt!! just purchased a pack which included the 'bumper care' amoung other things and i was surprised how well it got the faded plastic trim between doors and rear door handles etc looking
also ive heard regular budget cooking oil works but havent tried that one yet!!
riggrat is offline  
keithyboy
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggrat View Post
auto glym is excellnt!! just purchased a pack which included the 'bumper care' amoung other things and i was surprised how well it got the faded plastic trim between doors and rear door handles etc looking
also ive heard regular budget cooking oil works but havent tried that one yet!!
I believe peanut oil is good too. I suspect that any reasonably thin oil would work.

Even peanut butter is good but it has to be the only mildly rank smooth variety not the blow chunks in a second crunchy type.
 
Status: [aluminium undertrayfitted
AO Silver Member
 
springbok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Africa
County: Western Cape
Posts: 2,133

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Aerospace 303 is highly recomended.
springbok is offline  
PJC
Status: Waiting to put my new wheels on
AO Member
 
PJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 204
I can confirm that peanut butter paste works a treat and last well. Used it on my boys old corsa (now gone and having seen the italian light he`s got a punto) When told of this I thought it was a joke but was amazed how well it worked

PJ
PJC is offline  
Status: .
AO Silver Member
 
Rob3rto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I would rather not say
County: -
Posts: 2,519

Member car:

156

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
I came across this one on Retro Rides and had to give it a go. It's probably more suited to those of us who buy our valeting materials in Poundstretcher but it's boiled Linseed Oil.

They sell it in B&Q for about 4 and all you do is rub it into your grey, faded trim with a rag or sponge. I'm told it lasts for ages as it replaces the oils which are missing from the faded plastic.

The scuttle on my car has always been a faded mess which nothing has worked on. Not any more, it is now like new as my poxy photos nearly show.
Looks great!

Was considering taking mine off to paint with vinyl paint but souldn't get the bloomin' screw out (the rusty one in your pic). Bloody thing just fell apart. Will now have to drill it out!
Rob3rto is offline  
keithyboy
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Worth mentioning that it takes a bit of time to fully dry so if you use it and immediately go out, loads of crap and bugs will stick to it.
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
GIZTO29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 1,446
Chemical Guys New Look trim gel. 12ish a bottle and you barely put any on a sponge and rub it in and it looks amazing! You can do your tyres with it also.
Chemical Guys - New Look Trim Gel
GIZTO29 is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Ralf S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The land that Time forgot
Posts: 13,073
I use the "Big H" wet-look tyre shine stuff.

I guess "anything oily" would work.


Ralf S.
Ralf S. is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
cleaning , plastic , trim

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome