Cleaning inlet pipes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 18-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Monmouthshire
Cleaning inlet pipes

Hi Again!
Perhaps Im not making myself clear
Has anyone got photos of a before and after job of getting rid of rust spots from their V6 inlet pipes?
Reason is Im worried about using steel wool as I believe this will remove the shine and leave a matte finish
Hope this is clearer and thanks if anybody has the patience to respond to this bumbling old gipper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

If you use a metal polish, like Solvol Autosol, you'll clean up the pipes fairly well.

The rust spots build up where the chrome is chipped or damaged and the metal underneath is rusting outwards. If you have any spots of rust, they'll be eliminated by the metal polish.. but the area where the chrome is chipped will remain. You can protect these by applying polish into the chip and letting it dry.. but you need to keep cleaning the pipes to keep the chips from corroding again.

Wire wool is way too abrasive. Don't use it or you'll end up with very scratched pipes.

A re-chrome isn't toooo dear. http://www.collinschemicalblacking.co.uk will sort you out, about a tenner a pipe.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 19-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
If you use a metal polish, like Solvol Autosol, you'll clean up the pipes fairly well.

The rust spots build up where the chrome is chipped or damaged and the metal underneath is rusting outwards. If you have any spots of rust, they'll be eliminated by the metal polish.. but the area where the chrome is chipped will remain. You can protect these by applying polish into the chip and letting it dry.. but you need to keep cleaning the pipes to keep the chips from corroding again.

Wire wool is way too abrasive. Don't use it or you'll end up with very scratched pipes.

A re-chrome isn't toooo dear. Collins Chemical Blacking - Chrome Plating, Zinc Plating, Electroplating - London will sort you out, about a tenner a pipe.

Ralf S.
Cheers Ralf You used these guys, very helpfull,you used these guys?
AO Platinum Member

Aye! They did mine and they came up alright..

Ralf S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rechrom pipes.JPG (90.1 KB, 31 views)
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 20-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Aye! They did mine and they came up alright..

Ralf S.
Holy crap!

What kind of turnaround time was it and how about the postage charges?
Ralf I was in the Guards for years I wish my Brasses could of looked like them.Im dribbling
Cheers mucker
AO Platinum Member

I only work a few miles away so I managed to drop mine in.

They took about a week to come back but my fella was off the road having a head gasket fixed, so time wasn't really an issue for me. Anyway, I don't like to rush people... hopefully so I don't get a "rushed" job.

If they're not near enough, have a look for some more local plating firms. I found the CCB advert in the back of a classic car (or bike?) magazine.

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #7 of 11 Old 23-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:

A re-chrome isn't toooo dear. Collins Chemical Blacking - Chrome Plating, Zinc Plating, Electroplating - London will sort you out, about a tenner a pipe.

Ralf S.
Just heard back from collins 35.00 per-pipe
Bacofoil+Urine it is then!!
AO Platinum Member

Eh? The scoundrels! They did mine for either 10 or 15, just last year.

Mind you I popped down and saw the fellas in the morning (on the way to work) with a load of other parts, so maybe bundling everything together helped.

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 24-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Eh? The scoundrels! They did mine for either 10 or 15, just last year.

Mind you I popped down and saw the fellas in the morning (on the way to work) with a load of other parts, so maybe bundling everything together helped.

Ralf S.
Theyve just e-mailed me back to tell me another 15 for courier. Jive Turkeys, Id want gold uns for that
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 25-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thought you guys might be interested 163.00 for a brand new set including rubber collars from Alfa.............shove that 35 per pipe
AO Platinum Member

That's a good deal..

I'm sure the list price was higher than that when I asked.. as I did compare the cost of new vs refurb. pipes (I remember the new pipes were 40 each or therabouts, without the rubbers). Maybe AR reduced the prices for old stuff?

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
cleaning , inlet , pipes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page