'Showroom Shine' - Any good? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 44 Old 10-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: North Yorkshire
'Showroom Shine' - Any good?

Someone I know through work was singing the praises of this stuff to me today, best thing since sliced bread and all that, cos you dont need to use water to clean the car, just put SS on and it'll get rid of the grime and polish/wax all in one go.

I also seen it advertised on some shopping channel last week and instantly dismissed it as some daft gimmick.

So, my question is, is it all its cracked up to be or just a bit of a gimmick?

and does/can it damage your paintwork in any way?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by bacon; 10-06-09 at 21:29.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
Someone I know through work was singing the praises of this stuff to me today, best thing since sliced bread and all that, cos you dont need to use water to clean the car, just put SS on and it'll get rid of the grime and polish/wax all in one go.

I also seen it advertised on some shopping channel last week and instantly dismissed it as some daft gimmick.

So, my question is, is it all its cracked up to be or just a bit of a gimmick?

and does/can it damage your paintwork in anyway?

Thanks in advance
Hey Bacon,

Who makes it?? I might have it

Smallville

I just checked and I have something called Autoglym Instant Show Shine but I have never used it!!! You want me to go and test it?

(Post Link) post #4 of 44 Old 10-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
I just checked and I have something called Autoglym Instant Show Shine but I have never used it!!! You want me to go and test it?
I may be wrong but i dont think its made by any of the big names.

Ill have a dig about on t'net for some info on it.........................
Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
I may be wrong but i dont think its made by any of the big names.

Ill have a dig about on t'net for some info on it.........................
Ah ok then, i'll go test a panel and maybe post a piccie

nivens

Sounds like another waterless wash product. Looks great til you see the damage you've done to your clearcoat, its horrendous for causing swirls by all accounts.

AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Swirlsville Arizona i reckon!
(Post Link) post #8 of 44 Old 12-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivens View Post
Sounds like another waterless wash product. Looks great til you see the damage you've done to your clearcoat, its horrendous for causing swirls by all accounts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
Swirlsville Arizona i reckon!
this is my fear....

ive had a think about it and i reckon if youre the kind of person that owns one of them 'tap' things, and it works, then theres no need for this stuff, the only situation it may come in handy is if youve driven very far to a show or meet and your car is full of road grime, then whip this stuff out of your boot and you can get your motor looking clean again.
AO Platinum Member

Aye! These waterless wonders contain a lot of lubricant so in theory they help lift the dirt off the paint and then make sure the said dirt doesn't instantly sand-paper the paintwork again.

I wouldn't put the stuff anywhere near my car if it was normal dirty. It may be okay if I was taking a clean car somewhere and just wanted to get a bit of trip dust off the paint. I wouldn't use it anywhere near mud and dried on dirt (like you get down the door sides).

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Could be that Bosun stuff they sell on QVC?
jay w

wouldn't touch it

any form of waterless product will no doubt cause damage when it is being removed, no matter what the marketing says

(Post Link) post #12 of 44 Old 12-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
I wouldn't put the stuff anywhere near my car if it was normal dirty. It may be okay if I was taking a clean car somewhere and just wanted to get a bit of trip dust off the paint. I wouldn't use it anywhere near mud and dried on dirt (like you get down the door sides).

Ralf S.
Fair point. It could be good for the painted metal areas underneath the bonnet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Could be that Bosun stuff they sell on QVC?
Im not sure, 'Bosun' is a new one on me. If its a waterless wash/wax system, then quite possibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay w View Post
wouldn't touch it

any form of waterless product will no doubt cause damage when it is being removed, no matter what the marketing says
Agreed.

Im going to see if my mate will bring some in so i can try a sample, possibly under the bonnet.

*EDIT* Just found this thread on 'detailingworld'.......

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...t=96492&page=2

i havent read it yet though. will do now.
AO Silver Member

County: Kobenhavn

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Tinstaafl
AO Silver Member

County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

Quote:
That stuffs just like a quick detailer in aerosol form, for very light dust removal.
I've had it before and didn't think it was too bad, but there is plenty better QDs out there so I wouldn't buy it again.
Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by p17sut View Post
That stuffs just like a quick detailer in aerosol form, for very light dust removal.
I've had it before and didn't think it was too bad, but there is plenty better QDs out there so I wouldn't buy it again.
Oh I see fella, thnx for the headsup on what it is

AO Silver Member

County: Fife

Member car:

500 twinair

Quote:
Oh I see fella, thnx for the headsup on what it is
No worries, from what I remember I mostly used it on a silver car after drying or for light dust removal and a better finish. It gave a good shine, but silver doesn't show up marks left like dark colours would.......so I'm not sure how it would be on other colours.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Mito Veloce

Its called showroom shine from greased lightning, and yes its a water less wash with a mix of carnuba wax.
I have used autoglym products all my life, done the usual, wash, dry , polish, shine etc...an all day affair sometimes, and I am so particular with the car, anyway bought some to try and is very good, admitidly I always still wash and dry the car first, as I don't trust it as just a cleaner, would be like rubbing dirt into the car, anyway, as an afterclean its amazing!....just spray on, wipe panel over and wipe off...its puts a barrier of wax on and is like an eggshell to touch, it also makes cleaning the car afterwards a breeze....body/windows/chrome even around the home.....full marks from me!

White Veloce, bodykit, cloverleaf 18s, tints, rock & roll.
munky

waterless cleaning

(Post Link) post #19 of 44 Old 27-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l30bar View Post
Its called showroom shine from greased lightning, and yes its a water less wash with a mix of carnuba wax.
I have used autoglym products all my life, done the usual, wash, dry , polish, shine etc...an all day affair sometimes, and I am so particular with the car, anyway bought some to try and is very good, admitidly I always still wash and dry the car first, as I don't trust it as just a cleaner, would be like rubbing dirt into the car, anyway, as an afterclean its amazing!....just spray on, wipe panel over and wipe off...its puts a barrier of wax on and is like an eggshell to touch, it also makes cleaning the car afterwards a breeze....body/windows/chrome even around the home.....full marks from me!
surely there are better products for this use though? zaino z8 for example?

bear in mind though that my knowledge on this subject is fairly poor.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Giulietta

There are some waterless products that if used correctly are perfectly safe (Optimum products for example) but the margin for error when using them is much smaller IMO. I find most waterless systems that claim to have carnauba to be better used as a quick wax after a full wash than a waterless wash system.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlewi View Post
There are some waterless products that if used correctly are perfectly safe (Optimum products for example) but the margin for error when using them is much smaller IMO. I find most waterless systems that claim to have carnauba to be better used as a quick wax after a full wash than a waterless wash system.
I use showroom shine as a liquid wax most of the time. If the car has more than a thin layer of muck on it I'll still get the bucket and sponge out, but that's just my paranoia. Showroom shine does actually work though which is more than you can say for some.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Mito Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADF View Post
I use showroom shine as a liquid wax most of the time. If the car has more than a thin layer of muck on it I'll still get the bucket and sponge out, but that's just my paranoia. Showroom shine does actually work though which is more than you can say for some.
I agree!. thats the way I use it. works for me
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

156 jts

I have showroom shine and works well but do wash the car though befor i use it..........
AO Silver Member

County: Staffs

Member car:

Had a 33 1.7 QV

I was looking into this also but have a black car and shows all the scratches.

But I do use the Californian Car duster which works great to remove all the dust from the streets without scratching anything. Then I put my car cover on after.

Although is there is any tree resin spots then it just spreads this and makes a mess
AO Silver Member

County: -
Reduced water washing products eg ONR are fine, anything which uses no water is very bad

I still prefer my snowfoamer and yeti's fist (with dodo juice sn shampoo), swirl free washing

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
good , howroom , shine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page