What to use what order loads of products ?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 09-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
What to use what order loads of products ??

Right giving my car a good once over 2nite got loads of different product ive acumilated

Purple hase Dodo Wax
Diamond Brite Glaze & pre glaze
Auto Glym High def wax/ ultra deep shine/ super resin polish/ extra gloss protection
Swizzol Pre Cleaner Fluid

I have a black car with a good shine on it which products in which order guys any ideas ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jay w

Pre cleaner first
Super resin polish
Diamond Brite glaze
Dodo Purple Haze

all in that order

(Post Link) post #3 of 17 Old 09-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

thanx brought so much stuff didnt no if anything would cancel the other one out ! have some diamond brite conserver auto glym bodywork shampoo and triple wax shampoo / autoglym then conserver i take it ????
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

If anything hunt down some zaino Z8
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GT

When I asked polished bliss what I should use on my Alfa GTV (Black) this was the advice that was given.

I took them up on most of it and it worked a treat!!!

PS: Links are probably dead now, but just search for the product on their site

"

Hi Matt,

Alfa paint is pretty soft compared to other marques, so it is important that the products you use are very easy on and off, otherwise you will induce marring which will ultimately lead to the appearance of swirl marks in full sun conditions. Here is a routine and list of products that I would recommend for keeping a black GTV in tip top condition, with the type of look that you desire...

*Wash* (ideally every week)

Basic Wash Kit £34.85 - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb500wash.html

*Clay* (once or twice a year, based on fingertip test)

Meguiars Quik Clay £11.95 - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb100clean.html

*Polish* (initial intensive treatment to correct defects, then light treatment every six months thereafter)

Initial intensive treatment - Menzerna Intensive Polish, applied using the white side of a German Pad and buffing off using a Super Thick n Plush Towels.

Menzerna Intensive Polish £12.95 - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb70polish.html
German Applicator Pad £2.95 - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb68polish.html
Super Thick n Plush Towels £3.95 - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...401polish.html

Regular light treatments: Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish, applied using the white side of a German Applicator Pad, and buffed off using Deluxe Mega Towels

Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish £13.95 - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...191polish.html
German Applicator Pad £2.95 - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb68polish.html
Deluxe Mega Towel £3.95 - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...02protect.html

*Protect *(apply a fresh coat every 4-6 weeks)

Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection £21.95 - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...95protect.html

This product gives a great wet shine on black, and is very easy to put on and take off (apply using the red side of a German Applicator Pad, buff off using Deluxe Mega Towels). If you want to take the look of the car further, you could optionally finish with Blackfire's Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax, which is very easy to use, and which will give even more wetness and gloss. However, because of the high carnauba content, it is pricey, and thus optional...

Blackfire Wet Diamond Ivory Carnauba Wax £39.95 - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...04protect.html

Hope that helps and provides some food for thought, if you have any more questions please fire away, I'm always happy to help.

Regards"

Current Italian Cars:-
2004 Alfa Romeo GT 2.0 JTS
Previous Italian Cars :-
2003 Maserati 4200 Cambiocorsa
2006 Alfa Brera 2.2 SV JTS
1999 Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD
2005 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 JTS Veloce
2004 Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTD
2001 Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 Lusso
2002 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 JTS
AO Platinum Member

Aye! I don't like the Pick 'n' Mix approach to products..

I'm certain that it would be possible for an experto to pluck the best products from every range available to create a formidable car-cleaning kit.. but it all makes my head hurt and gets waaaay too complicated so I like to stick to the same fella's range of products and have done with it.

On your old ship I would:

Wash. Even I can work out that the shampoo and the mitt and the bucket don't have to be the same brand as the rest of the stoof). Halfrauds and a Meguiars sheep does the job.

Clay (as/when needed). Meguiars doodah again. Not tried the Halfords kit yet.

Polish. I use Poorboys SSR system, as they do a Ralf-proof range where SSR-1 is very mild, SSR-2 is nearly mild and SSR-2.5 is a bit less than nearly mild. Use a machine. Meguiars G220 Mo-Fo and the Lake Country pads. Orange pad is obviously more aggressive than the green pad... Sorted!

Glaze - Poorboys "Black Hole" for dark coloured cars. Black Hole..Dark coloured cars... even I can understand that.. Use the machine again (you have it out and plugged in now anyway)... with the green pad.

Wax - Poorboys Natty Blue Wax. It's Blue and it's natty (smells of bubble gum). Suitable for dark cars. Blue = dark car. Aye!

I guess over time, once I memorised what all these products do, I can experiment with some alternatives.. but in any case, the PB stuff is good value, easy to use and does a great job.. so the prospects for improvement are probably low.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #7 of 17 Old 10-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

working with what i had worked a treat but i do no what you mean i do normally stick with the smae brand after some of that fk1000 atm once ive used up what ive got which im very close ill give the poorboys stuff ago thanks every one for there advise
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

On my 145 (black), when i first got her she was a tad bit dirty and is VERY scratched, been through a car was a thousand times!!! My technique is using the following products and hides all the scratches, gives a ROODY GOOD SHINE! I purchased some Ultra Deep Shine at AI. . .used it once on the door. . .not picking up that bottle EVER again! That stuff is so dam hard to buff off and really doesnt give as much shine as the SRP!

Jet Down and rinse
Wash with Autoglym Body shampoo and Conditioner using a cotton wash mitt and the 2 bucket method.
Rinse.
Dry using drying towl (about 2 inchs thick and what you would wrap you baby up in!!!)
Apply Autoglym Fast Glass to windows and buff off excess with a microfibre.
Apply Meg's tyre shine to tyres and plastic areas on bumpers. Buff off any excess with a micro fibre.
Clay bar the car and use Meg's Quik Detailer as the lubrication.
Working with 1 panel at a time:
Apply Autoglym Super Resin Polsh with a cotton Applicator pad and buff off using a microfibre.
Repeat the above.
Apply Raceglaze Crém Perfection with a cotton Applicator pad and buff off using a microfibre.
This one has only been used once but apply Dodo Juice Blue Velvet by hand and buff off using a micro fibre.
Apply Halfords Alloy Wheel Protector to alloys and buff off any excess.
Stand back and admire.
Cry when a bird lands its **** on the bonnet!

The above method takes about 2 - 3 hours.

Washed and Clayed you can see how bad the scratches are:

After 2 hits of AutoGlym SRP:

Once Raceglazed:

AO Platinum Member

Nice one!

But has that Mundano had its doors kicked in, or has my eyes gone scrawpy?

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

He decided to drive it *****ed up and slid in to a ditch hahaha the door handles are in his boot hahaha.
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by langers View Post
On my 145 (black), when i first got her she was a tad bit dirty and is VERY scratched, been through a car was a thousand times!!! My technique is using the following products and hides all the scratches, gives a ROODY GOOD SHINE! I purchased some Ultra Deep Shine at AI. . .used it once on the door. . .not picking up that bottle EVER again! That stuff is so dam hard to buff off and really doesnt give as much shine as the SRP!

Jet Down and rinse
Wash with Autoglym Body shampoo and Conditioner using a cotton wash mitt and the 2 bucket method.
Rinse.
Dry using drying towl (about 2 inchs thick and what you would wrap you baby up in!!!)
Apply Autoglym Fast Glass to windows and buff off excess with a microfibre.
Apply Meg's tyre shine to tyres and plastic areas on bumpers. Buff off any excess with a micro fibre.
Clay bar the car and use Meg's Quik Detailer as the lubrication.
Working with 1 panel at a time:
Apply Autoglym Super Resin Polsh with a cotton Applicator pad and buff off using a microfibre.
Repeat the above.
Apply Raceglaze Crém Perfection with a cotton Applicator pad and buff off using a microfibre.
This one has only been used once but apply Dodo Juice Blue Velvet by hand and buff off using a micro fibre.
Apply Halfords Alloy Wheel Protector to alloys and buff off any excess.
Stand back and admire.
Cry when a bird lands its **** on the bonnet!

The above method takes about 2 - 3 hours.

Washed and Clayed you can see how bad the scratches are:

After 2 hits of AutoGlym SRP:

Once Raceglazed:

Awesome finish! The SRP is great stuff isnt it! I didnt realise i could use my glaze (Poorboys Black Hole) over it!
AO Silver Member

Ralf, ive just bought a G220 amongst other things!

Can you just touch on the pads abit more as im gonna get them on Friday. Flexipads are the ones the place sells and im going for them. Do you have a mix of sizes as i know you can get 4" for small areas such as along the top of bumpers etc.
Im also going for the PB SSR but wondered if youve had success using 1 for swirls? I have DJ Lime Prime which a few people on different detailing forums have had great success with. Im loving Black Hole aswell but have only applied by hand so far. Have you been DA'ing for long? Did you find it easy to pick up? Thanks Phil

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29

Last edited by GIZTO29; 01-07-09 at 22:18.
AO Platinum Member

Nice box of stuff lad!

The G220 comes with a large 5" (125mm) backing plate for which I bought a Lake Country "orange" (polish) and "green" (glaze) 6.5" (165mm) pads.

For localised polishing , I bought a small 3" (75mm) backing plate and a "spot" pad 4" (100mm) and it's dead handy for confined areas.. the bigger pad either passes over trim, tends to detach from the backing plate and/or you get polish flying everywhere, as it's not in contact with a surface.

SSR1 is very mild. It removes minor swirls and gives a very deep shine. My old beast has plenty of deeper swirls, scratches and marks though.. so in the end I had to also get some SSR2 for that (it may even need some 2.5!) but I didn't know how aggressive these polishes were, so I wanted to start off with the mildest.

Anyways, with SSR1 and a G220, I'd say it was impossible to damage the paint.

I haven't been using a machine long (just the last 18 months) and I was a bit worried about being too aggressive on the paint but I think it's dead simple. If you have a good pad, a polish like SSR1 and a G220, you just prime up the pad (make an "X") dab it on the panel in a few places and then, with the pad held against the surface, start the machine and off you go. Don't press the polisher to the paint.. just apply as much pressure as the weight of the machine (on a flat panel, I more or less just rest the machine on the panel).

You'll get the hang of it. You can increase the speed once the polish has been absorbed by the pad ( it flies everywhere, if you do it too soon, so you can quickly work out when the right time is) and then just work it until it turns into a haze. The SSR1 breaks down really fine.. you'll see that it looks like it's dried but if you work it some more it goes a bit like oil mist. In the end you'll sort of know when to stop.

First few times though you'll stop and buff off the polish, impatient to see what's happening underneath .. so you'll be able to judge how much longer you need to buff. My view is just be reasonable on the paint.. you can always come back and do it some more.. just don't work it, or the pad too hard and don't let either get too hot.

After the polish, use a glazing pad to put some Black Hole on.. using the machine for glazing doesn't add much extra to the results, for me.. but you have it out already and it saves some time (and elbow grease).

Then remember to wax it. Black Hole is a glaze so it's filler rich.. but unfortunately, those fillers will evaporate away pretty quickly without a wax to hold them in the paint. Apply wax with one of those applicator pads you have (a bit moist helps) though your paint will be so smooth you'll want to do it by hand! (Your hands will be impossible to wash for weeks though! )

And do it in the shade.. PB stuff doesn't mind sunshine.. but it's hot out there and you'll be more comfy in the shade.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Good luck with the G220 Phil. It's a lot of fun and don't worry you can't do any harm unless you do something really silly. (like get grit on the pads)

Hopefully this will now sort out your swirls once and for all!!
AO Silver Member

Ive been reading this guide and after both of your words of wisdom and reading this guide i think i'll be fine!
Machine Polishing by Dual Action Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World
I was amazed at how heavy the machine is tbh and was thinking of just applying the machine weight as you mention I read that yo should apply 15 lb/s and to test this get a set of scales to give an idea. Just tried my snow foam tonight which was a bit hitty/missy as it kept going snow, water, snow, water lol. The drive was bloody covered which didnt go down well i say! Ive been using Black Hole for about a month now and its awesome stuff! As are all the Poorboys products ive tried! Ive just got the wheel sealant as you wouldve seen in the pics so plan to use that soon (another lengthy process)! Cant wait to get some pads tomorrow. I might just stick with the Dodod Juice Lime Prime for my polish as some guys have had great success on Det World & CYC.co.uk forums. Then BH then try out my DJ Supernatural. Im liking the sound of the Chem Guys Butter Wet Wax aswell, oh and CG Petes 53 Wax. Note to self...'i have bloody loads of stuff, calm down!'
Thanks for the help guys, Phil
AO Platinum Member

Aye! The temptation is to buy everything! I've got all Poorboys stuff at the moment plus a smattering of Autoglym.. but it would be interesting to try something else as well, just to see if there's any difference.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
Aye! The temptation is to buy everything! I've got all Poorboys stuff at the moment plus a smattering of Autoglym.. but it would be interesting to try something else as well, just to see if there's any difference.

Ralf S.
Im lucky as NE Detailing are quite happy to let you try out various products in their valeting bay as they have a big cabinet with loads of opened pots in, even Zymol Concours whihc isnt cheap!
Also ive got to know a lad who lives 10 mins ago and we swap stuff over a few days so if he wants to try my DJ Supernatural i can try his Chem Guys Petes 53 etc. Great!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
loads , order , products

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page