Meguiars On My MiTo - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 37 Old 19-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Meguiars On My MiTo

Ive been going crazy recently buying various detailing products for the MiTo and bought some Meguiars GC Shampoo at the weekend. Gave it a whirl last night followed by some AG Aquawax. It seems alot better than my AG Body Conditioning Shampoo and lathered up a treat! The car was awesomely shiny......until it (it happens every time to me) rained! Ive got a few other new products to use aswell but have to wait until i know it aint gonna rain within minutes of me putting the stuff away Heres a few pics anyway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18052009457.jpg (69.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 18052009463.jpg (96.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Reflection.jpg (56.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 19052009473.jpg (107.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 18052009466.jpg (80.9 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Northumberland
Re: Meguiars On My MiTo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
Ive been going crazy recently buying various detailing products for the MiTo and bought some Meguiars GC Shampoo at the weekend. Gave it a whirl last night followed by some AG Aquawax. It seems alot better than my AG Body Conditioning Shampoo and lathered up a treat! The car was awesomely shiny......until it (it happens every time to me) rained! Ive got a few other new products to use aswell but have to wait until i know it aint gonna rain within minutes of me putting the stuff away Heres a few pics anyway
Beautiful mate, you can come around to mine and do mine when I get it. Top job you have done their! Looks lush.

Hope you didnt get too wet this time with the foam lance!

I have the AG aquawax too, cant wait to use it if thats the results!

How long did it take you to do all that washing/cleaning/waxing?
(Post Link) post #3 of 37 Old 19-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

It took 2.15 mins mate including doin the bonnet with AG SR Polish, protecting the wheels and shining the tyres. Next time im gonna try claying and use the HD Wax so god knows how long that'll take!
Smallville

your MiTo looks so so good there fella

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1059
County: West Midlands

Yours is looking great, well worth the effort.

Hubby uses AutoGlym HD Wax on mine and it takes him about 1 hour.
He says it's easy on, wait fifteen minutes or so and easy buff off.
Looks fantastic when clean and shiney.
AO Member

Quote:
It took 2.15 mins mate including doin the bonnet with AG SR Polish, protecting the wheels and shining the tyres. Next time im gonna try claying and use the HD Wax so god knows how long that'll take!
Not horrendous then, good fair decent time! Got all my kit now except a nice polish. The aquawax looks the business mind you!
(Post Link) post #7 of 37 Old 20-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks guys and gals! The Aquawax is very user friendly but im dying to get a bash with the HD Wax. Im not quite sure about using the Clay as ive just used AG SRP. Will the clay remove that smallville?
Also a guy on cleanyourcar.co.uk is giving me a test of his AG UDS which is for dark cars and fills swirls etc. Still loads of stuff i want tho! Grit Guards and better drying towels, tyre gel, Poorboys Black Hole, Chem Guys Pete's 53 Wax...............whens the lottery on again?
Have to say the Halfords Pressure Washer is a belter for the price lpoolck! Have you tried yours yet?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29
AO Member

Quote:
Have to say the Halfords Pressure Washer is a belter for the price lpoolck! Have you tried yours yet?
No not tried it yet, going to give me saxo vtr one last good clean next weekend before I sell it. Glad its good, bargain for £35 really, lets just hope the soap/lance thing sprays forward on mine! Dont want a wet crotch!
(Post Link) post #9 of 37 Old 20-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpoolck View Post
No not tried it yet, going to give me saxo vtr one last good clean next weekend before I sell it. Glad its good, bargain for £35 really, lets just hope the soap/lance thing sprays forward on mine! Dont want a wet crotch!
Its a nice feeling, im sticking with it for that very reason
Smallville

Gizto29 - When I clayed my car last this is the way I done it.

1. Wash down with wash mitt (1 bucket of shampoo, 1 bucket of water to rinse the wash mitt in)
2. Dry it using a microfibre cloth
3. Attack it with the clay, make sure you keep it well lubed
4. Wash down with wash mitt (1 bucket of shampoo, 1 bucket of water to rinse the wash mitt in)
5. Apply what ever wax you will be using
6. Then maybe apply some polish to your car to keep it all protected

Hope this helps fella

AO Member

County: Surrey

Just tried the turtle wax ice, BLIMEY.................. very good, specialy with autogleam gloss protection, great on the wheels as well.
(Post Link) post #12 of 37 Old 20-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Gizto29 - When I clayed my car last this is the way I done it.

1. Wash down with wash mitt (1 bucket of shampoo, 1 bucket of water to rinse the wash mitt in)
2. Dry it using a microfibre cloth
3. Attack it with the clay, make sure you keep it well lubed
4. Wash down with wash mitt (1 bucket of shampoo, 1 bucket of water to rinse the wash mitt in)

Hope this helps fella
Should the wax and polish not be the other way round chief?
Smallville

Quote:
Well I always use Ultra Deep Shine after I have applied my Dodo Juice and never had a issue

AO Gold Member

County: North Yorkshire

Quote:
thats what i thought, but then my knowledge in this subject area is very poor.

Gizto, earlier in the thread you were on about claying your mito, and like i said, my knowledge is poor in this area, but is there any point in claying a new car?
Smallville

Here, this is what I use on top of the wax,

Autoglym - car cleaning products, car care products, car valeting, car detailing

AO Gold Member

County: North Yorkshire

Aah right, i see S.

Quote:

You confused me with putting the word 'wax' at step number 5 and the word 'polish' at step number 6.
In my head, these should be the other way around.
Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
Aah right, i see S.

You confused me with putting the word 'wax' at step number 5 and the word 'polish' at step number 6.
In my head, these should be the other way around.
Sorry about that fella, I have always done it like that and not had a problem so all been good so far

I might try it the other way round on my old bumper thats in the garage and see what the difference is

AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

ex 147 GTA

Meguiars AG shampoo is fantastic stuff, sometimes if in a hurry I can wash it with that, quickly dry it and it will look almost as good as when its had the full treatment.

Have fun with the new car, but just be careful how much stuff you're chucking on there and using or you end up more damage than good!!

I get confused by people using two buckets to wash; the mitt/sponge is always being rinsed in the "dirty" bucket!!

AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

GIZ - mate you are being given some very confusing advise, if you don't mind me saying so.

You always wax AFTER polishing, thats the whole point. Polish is slightly abrasive and sometimes contains fillers which masks swirls (an example is SRP). Wax is there to protect the finish from the elements.

I too think that it is unnecessary to clay your car at this stage of it's life (that is unless it is absolutely full of bonded contaminants) . This seems highly unlightly considering the amout of time, money and effort you have lavished on it in the past few weeks.

To answer your question, if you clay the car it will remove every bit of polish and wax that you have previously applied. Understand that if you clay your car you are "wiping the slate clean". The clay will not remove the swirls and scratches, in fact it may well accentuate them! All that clay does is remove bonded contaminants providing a perfectly smooth surface ready to be corrected by machine or hand, polished and waxed.

If you clay your car and then just apply a wax you might be dissapointed.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj147 View Post

I get confused by people using two buckets to wash; the mitt/sponge is always being rinsed in the "dirty" bucket!!

One of the main causes of swirls is bits of grit and dirt being wiped over the surface while washing. The idea of the two bucket method is that every time you have washed a panel, you rinse the mit in the "rinse" bucket of water. The dirt clinging to the mit is dislodged and falls to the bottom of the bucket. You then dunk the mitt in the "clean" bucket of soapy wash water and proceed to the next panel. This way your soapy washing water remains uncontaminated.

You can check how well it works by looking in the bottom of the two buckets at the end of the wash and see the residue left in the bottom.
(Post Link) post #21 of 37 Old 21-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Sorry about that fella, I have always done it like that and not had a problem so all been good so far

I might try it the other way round on my old bumper thats in the garage and see what the difference is
The AG UDS has a fine cut to it so surely this removes your expensive wax youve just appiled slightly? As far as ive read you polish then wax. If you use AG SRP you then seal it with the wax and the UDS isnt much different to SRP so i do believe its wax after polish. The AG EGP is AG's sealant, ie final coat if thats what youre after.

Quote:
Meguiars AG shampoo is fantastic stuff, sometimes if in a hurry I can wash it with that, quickly dry it and it will look almost as good as when its had the full treatment.

Have fun with the new car, but just be careful how much stuff you're chucking on there and using or you end up more damage than good!!

If i had a grit guard then maybe but i havnt and at the end of the wash the rinse bucket is full of dirt and silt/grit so i'll carry on with two

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
One of the main causes of swirls is bits of grit and dirt being wiped over the surface while washing. The idea of the two bucket method is that every time you have washed a panel, you rinse the mit in the "rinse" bucket of water. The dirt clinging to the mit is dislodged and falls to the bottom of the bucket. You then dunk the mitt in the "clean" bucket of soapy wash water and proceed to the next panel. This way your soapy washing water remains uncontaminated.

You can check how well it works by looking in the bottom of the two buckets at the end of the wash and see the residue left in the bottom.
Yeh, i agree springbock.

Fair point about the Clying but the reason i bought it was cause i polished and aquawaxed the car, then seen these tiny little fleck on the bonnet. When i rubbed the cloth over them little trails canme off them and they were rough to the palm of my hand. I looked into it and read about bonded contaminates and claying.
I hear what you guys are saying and will hang fire on that process.
Ive got abit of wonga to spend and am wondering what to buy. Ive got SRP, Megs GC Shampoo, AG Aquawax and HD Wax and various cloths. I would like a finishing spray and am thinking of DJ Redmist or Zaino Z8 Or maybe some better drying towels like Sonus. Or some Poorboys Black Hole.
Smallville

You are right, my bad

Im going to have a go again with AG EGP, AG SRP and AG HD wax. See how that comes up

Just cleaned my dads 147 and will post some piccies, only done a quickie with it though

(Post Link) post #23 of 37 Old 21-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
You are right, my bad

Im going to have a go again with AG EGP, AG SRP and AG HD wax. See how that comes up

Just cleaned my dads 147 and will post some piccies, only done a quickie with it though
Quote:
I apologise, you do use EGP which isnt actually a polish. I still dont know if its necessary to do that and wax, some research is needed from me. Your car must be an inch bigger
For the record EGP doesnt take to UDP, only SRP from what ive heard on Cleanyourcars.co.uk.
AO Member

Quote:
Its a nice feeling, im sticking with it for that very reason
...better get using mine ASAP then
(Post Link) post #25 of 37 Old 21-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:

Surely if you use only one bucket the rinse water is twice as dirty though
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpoolck View Post
...better get using mine ASAP then
Little tip, use warm water! Ha ha

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
meguiars , mito

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page