"Nivea" bad idea? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 16-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Porto

Member car:

147 1.6TS 2001

Mooney "Nivea" bad idea?

Hi there,

I haven't tried this out on cars, but, that traditional fat "Nivea cream" that still comes in a blue tin can, has worked for me on several leather applications, and even to soften some rubber.

(On this same note, I've also used, on occasion, those tissues normally used to wipe baby's asses!)

Is this a bad idea to use anywhere on a car?
Of course, I'm not thinking of "creaming" away, and getting muddy parts as soon as summer starts sending dust and sand along with the wind.

I'm referring for instance using it on leather gearbox sleeve, and driving wheel, for example.

Complete newbie! Feel free to insult me at this point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 650
County: Leicestershire
Re: "Nivea" bad idea?

Personnaly...wouldn't use it on the leather seats....the baby wipes will leave a build up of soapy smear over time....
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 16-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Porto

Member car:

147 1.6TS 2001

Yeah! I see your point.
Seats it's maybe a nasty business - staining your cloths etc...

What about the gearbox lever sleeve?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 650
County: Leicestershire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCross View Post
Yeah! I see your point.
Seats it's maybe a nasty business - staining your cloths etc...

What about the gearbox lever sleeve?
Just don't know.... i guess the thing to do is try it on a small concealed area and see how you get in with it...
AO Member

County: Durham

Erm.... I beg to differ but.... Yes you can use Nivia....
Leather is skin albeit colour dyed but it still needs feeding... Use it sparingly though and leave it to soak for 10 minutes... then wipe off thoroughly... Leather care products have the same essential ingredients, just cost a lot more.....
The previous owner of my Alfa used moisturiser from new on the black leather momo seats.... 108,000 miles later... The seats still look great (as many other members have commented at meetings).... Believe me, your seats have to put up a with a lot worse chemicals & products during their life!

Yessssss! Nero black, Black momo leather, sunroof and air con in a 156 2.0 twin spark..... = Heaven, pure heaven

Anyone can give advice on cars like "replace this part, replace that"... Start with the simplest solution and then work your way through it logically... Its a hell of a lot easier and cheaper!
jay w

i knew someone who used to use Johnsons baby oil on their leather 3 piece suit, looked like new all the time

AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

Not recommended tbh lol it will sweat the protective leather coat so your get leather cracking.

Nivea is a seriously bad idea on leather. Yes leather was skin once but it is now a highly processed 'material' with a pigment coat and a clear coat finish. 'Feeding' leather is a complete fallacy and products cannot get anywhere near the leather to be of any use at all.

The biggest enemy of leather is dirt and using creams and oils which will only sit on the surface will only serve to attract more dirt. Once dirt is allowed to sit on the leather finish it becomes ground in by the constant use and abrasion and this will then cause the cracking and deterioration of the finish which in turn will affect the leather itself.

Use a protector (which acts like a scotchgard) and clean regularly and this simple routine will keep your leather in good 'condition'. Products should be water based which will keep the leather hydrated at its correct level.

Hope this helps

I use "wipes" to remove stubborn bug splats and blood* from the bodywork. Wipes are also great for interior trim cleaning!

(* insect blood, not human )

Last edited by AlfaHedgehog; 17-05-09 at 10:43.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
bad , idea , nivea

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page