Supaguard & Polishing ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 16-05-09 Thread Starter
Status: bought a 75...
AO Gold Member
 
bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 6,298
Supaguard & Polishing ?

My car has a little 'Supaguard' sticker in the corner of the windscreen so i assume its had this treatment at some point in its life.

I have asked the previous owner and from what I can gather, the 'Supaguard' has been on the car possibly from new (2003) or definately at least over 3 years ago.

So, my questions are.....

Will this still be effective on my car or will it have 'worn off' by now?

Do I have to take a different approach to polishing/detailing because of the SG (thats was applied 3+ years ago) ??

Thanks in advance.

bacon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: We got there
AO Silver Member
 
Mr_Caine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 3,189

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

It will be long gone by now, the 3 year guarantee is a bit of a gimmick in my opinion and requires that you top the supaguard up regularly with their special fluid.

Supagard is actually quite a good product, I applied it (off ebay) to a Megane and it looked great and lasted well.

In terms of a different approach, no you don't need to worry, just crack on and do whatever you would normally do.
Mr_Caine is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 17 Old 16-05-09 Thread Starter
Status: bought a 75...
AO Gold Member
 
bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 6,298
Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Caine View Post
It will be long gone by now, the 3 year guarantee is a bit of a gimmick in my opinion and requires that you top the supaguard up regularly with their special fluid.

Supagard is actually quite a good product, I applied it (off ebay) to a Megane and it looked great and lasted well.

In terms of a different approach, no you don't need to worry, just crack on and do whatever you would normally do.
Nice one Mr C. That'll do for me.
bacon is offline  
Status: Teenage Wasteland
AO Member
 
lpoolck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Northumberland
Posts: 713
Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

what is the treatment they do for the supaguard? Is it basically just valeting your car with the products they give you to 'maintain' the car is do they use a special treatment that you cant buy etc?
lpoolck is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
paullec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 610

Member car:

gt

Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

Its just a sealant lol Crack on sir and get polishing
paullec is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
GIZTO29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 1,446
Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpoolck View Post
what is the treatment they do for the supaguard? Is it basically just valeting your car with the products they give you to 'maintain' the car is do they use a special treatment that you cant buy etc?
Didnt they offer you it at Alexanders? Its around £200-£250 and is a protective coating on the exterior and interior of the car which also includes a pack with various cleaners (wheel, tyre dresser, bird lime remover etc and safety equipment). I got it with mine.
GIZTO29 is offline  
Status: Teenage Wasteland
AO Member
 
lpoolck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Northumberland
Posts: 713
Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
Didnt they offer you it at Alexanders? Its around £200-£250 and is a protective coating on the exterior and interior of the car which also includes a pack with various cleaners (wheel, tyre dresser, bird lime remover etc and safety equipment). I got it with mine.
Yeah they did offer it to me, but I thought im already paying 400quid (etna black) for paint, I would hope if looked after properly I wouldnt have any problems, never did with my saxo. Just wondeiring if people thought it was worth it or not, and if it actually does make a difference that yourself couldnt make by regualary clearning and polishing and waxing etc
lpoolck is offline  
Status: Needs a thermostat
AO Silver Member
 
10,500RPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ireland
County: -
Posts: 3,263
Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

Clay the car and polish it, that should remove most contaminents and top it off with Finish Kare 1000p (ultra hard sealent, good finish, and rediculously cheap)
10,500RPM is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
GIZTO29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 1,446
Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpoolck View Post
Yeah they did offer it to me, but I thought im already paying 400quid (etna black) for paint, I would hope if looked after properly I wouldnt have any problems, never did with my saxo. Just wondeiring if people thought it was worth it or not, and if it actually does make a difference that yourself couldnt make by regualary clearning and polishing and waxing etc
I thought it was a must when buying the car although i wasnt impressed that it wasnt in for free as my 2 C2s had it on without any obvious additional fee. In hindsight i probably didnt need to get it.
GIZTO29 is offline  
Status: Teenage Wasteland
AO Member
 
lpoolck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Northumberland
Posts: 713
Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
I thought it was a must when buying the car although i wasnt impressed that it wasnt in for free as my 2 C2s had it on without any obvious additional fee. In hindsight i probably didnt need to get it.
So do you think with good cleaning/polshing/waxing it will do just a good job? as I am sure that aquawax has UV protection etc in it. Just wondering now if I should have bothered to get it or not thats all
lpoolck is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
GIZTO29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 1,446
Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpoolck View Post
So do you think with good cleaning/polshing/waxing it will do just a good job? as I am sure that aquawax has UV protection etc in it. Just wondering now if I should have bothered to get it or not thats all
I couldnt tell you mate. I know that alot of car dealers use it but i know for a fact it doesnt protect against light scratches and swirls as mine had them after a few weeks. So what is it really? Is it just a wax? I think the dealers make a fortune on it tbh. Its your call but from what ive read it makes it harder for you to wax etc if you get it done.
GIZTO29 is offline  
Status: [aluminium undertrayfitted
AO Silver Member
 
springbok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Africa
County: Western Cape
Posts: 2,133

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
I thought it was a must when buying the car although i wasnt impressed that it wasnt in for free as my 2 C2s had it on without any obvious additional fee. In hindsight i probably didnt need to get it.
Giz, IMHO, this is where your whole problem started in the first place. Your swirls were more than likely induced when they applied this "wonder product". Sorry guys I honestly belive these "protection" products offered to new car buyers are a rip off and do more damage than good.

I would rather spend the money getting a professional detailer to clay, polish and wax the car before you take delivery off the floor. Then you will know that your car is REALLY mint.
springbok is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
paullec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Posts: 610

Member car:

gt

Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

Yeah if you look after your car there no need to spend £300 on superguard or diamondbrite or whatever new name they can come up with. A decent polish and wax will net better results, even if your not bothered about swirl marks.
paullec is offline  
Status: Teenage Wasteland
AO Member
 
lpoolck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Northumberland
Posts: 713
Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

Ok then, just regular washing/cleaning/polishing/waxing for me then I think, thats for all your help. GIZTO29 car does look lush on his photos however!
lpoolck is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
GIZTO29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 1,446
Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpoolck View Post
Ok then, just regular washing/cleaning/polishing/waxing for me then I think, thats for all your help. GIZTO29 car does look lush on his photos however!
Why thanks, it does but i know where the scratches are on the bonnet and the light swirling. Ive learned my lesson now alright!
GIZTO29 is offline  
Status: Teenage Wasteland
AO Member
 
lpoolck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Northumberland
Posts: 713
Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
Why thanks, it does but i know where the scratches are on the bonnet and the light swirling. Ive learned my lesson now alright!
Dont let it bother you too much mate, you have got a great looking car!
lpoolck is offline  
(Post Link) post #17 of 17 Old 18-05-09 Thread Starter
Status: bought a 75...
AO Gold Member
 
bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: North Yorkshire
Posts: 6,298
Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

Cheers folks. Im going to attack me car with my new clay bar as soon as i get chance.
bacon is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
polishing , supaguard

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome