Supaguard & Polishing ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 16-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: North Yorkshire
Supaguard & Polishing ?

My car has a little 'Supaguard' sticker in the corner of the windscreen so i assume its had this treatment at some point in its life.

I have asked the previous owner and from what I can gather, the 'Supaguard' has been on the car possibly from new (2003) or definately at least over 3 years ago.

So, my questions are.....

Will this still be effective on my car or will it have 'worn off' by now?

Do I have to take a different approach to polishing/detailing because of the SG (thats was applied 3+ years ago) ??

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Re: Supaguard & Polishing ?

It will be long gone by now, the 3 year guarantee is a bit of a gimmick in my opinion and requires that you top the supaguard up regularly with their special fluid.

Supagard is actually quite a good product, I applied it (off ebay) to a Megane and it looked great and lasted well.

In terms of a different approach, no you don't need to worry, just crack on and do whatever you would normally do.
(Post Link) post #3 of 17 Old 16-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Caine View Post
It will be long gone by now, the 3 year guarantee is a bit of a gimmick in my opinion and requires that you top the supaguard up regularly with their special fluid.

Supagard is actually quite a good product, I applied it (off ebay) to a Megane and it looked great and lasted well.

In terms of a different approach, no you don't need to worry, just crack on and do whatever you would normally do.
Nice one Mr C. That'll do for me.
AO Member

County: Northumberland

what is the treatment they do for the supaguard? Is it basically just valeting your car with the products they give you to 'maintain' the car is do they use a special treatment that you cant buy etc?
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

Its just a sealant lol Crack on sir and get polishing
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpoolck View Post
what is the treatment they do for the supaguard? Is it basically just valeting your car with the products they give you to 'maintain' the car is do they use a special treatment that you cant buy etc?
Didnt they offer you it at Alexanders? Its around £200-£250 and is a protective coating on the exterior and interior of the car which also includes a pack with various cleaners (wheel, tyre dresser, bird lime remover etc and safety equipment). I got it with mine.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
Didnt they offer you it at Alexanders? Its around £200-£250 and is a protective coating on the exterior and interior of the car which also includes a pack with various cleaners (wheel, tyre dresser, bird lime remover etc and safety equipment). I got it with mine.
Yeah they did offer it to me, but I thought im already paying 400quid (etna black) for paint, I would hope if looked after properly I wouldnt have any problems, never did with my saxo. Just wondeiring if people thought it was worth it or not, and if it actually does make a difference that yourself couldnt make by regualary clearning and polishing and waxing etc
AO Silver Member

County: -

Clay the car and polish it, that should remove most contaminents and top it off with Finish Kare 1000p (ultra hard sealent, good finish, and rediculously cheap)
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Yeah they did offer it to me, but I thought im already paying 400quid (etna black) for paint, I would hope if looked after properly I wouldnt have any problems, never did with my saxo. Just wondeiring if people thought it was worth it or not, and if it actually does make a difference that yourself couldnt make by regualary clearning and polishing and waxing etc
I thought it was a must when buying the car although i wasnt impressed that it wasnt in for free as my 2 C2s had it on without any obvious additional fee. In hindsight i probably didnt need to get it.
AO Member

Quote:
I thought it was a must when buying the car although i wasnt impressed that it wasnt in for free as my 2 C2s had it on without any obvious additional fee. In hindsight i probably didnt need to get it.
So do you think with good cleaning/polshing/waxing it will do just a good job? as I am sure that aquawax has UV protection etc in it. Just wondering now if I should have bothered to get it or not thats all
AO Silver Member

Quote:
So do you think with good cleaning/polshing/waxing it will do just a good job? as I am sure that aquawax has UV protection etc in it. Just wondering now if I should have bothered to get it or not thats all
I couldnt tell you mate. I know that alot of car dealers use it but i know for a fact it doesnt protect against light scratches and swirls as mine had them after a few weeks. So what is it really? Is it just a wax? I think the dealers make a fortune on it tbh. Its your call but from what ive read it makes it harder for you to wax etc if you get it done.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:
Giz, IMHO, this is where your whole problem started in the first place. Your swirls were more than likely induced when they applied this "wonder product". Sorry guys I honestly belive these "protection" products offered to new car buyers are a rip off and do more damage than good.

I would rather spend the money getting a professional detailer to clay, polish and wax the car before you take delivery off the floor. Then you will know that your car is REALLY mint.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

Yeah if you look after your car there no need to spend £300 on superguard or diamondbrite or whatever new name they can come up with. A decent polish and wax will net better results, even if your not bothered about swirl marks.
AO Member

Ok then, just regular washing/cleaning/polishing/waxing for me then I think, thats for all your help. GIZTO29 car does look lush on his photos however!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Ok then, just regular washing/cleaning/polishing/waxing for me then I think, thats for all your help. GIZTO29 car does look lush on his photos however!
Why thanks, it does but i know where the scratches are on the bonnet and the light swirling. Ive learned my lesson now alright!
AO Member

Quote:
Why thanks, it does but i know where the scratches are on the bonnet and the light swirling. Ive learned my lesson now alright!
Dont let it bother you too much mate, you have got a great looking car!
(Post Link) post #17 of 17 Old 18-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Cheers folks. Im going to attack me car with my new clay bar as soon as i get chance.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
polishing , supaguard

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page