megs lambswool mit and terry towelling cotton cloths - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 16-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: South Australia
megs lambswool mit and terry towelling cotton cloths

Hi guys,

I bought one of the megs lambswools mits and a few sets of the terry towelling cloths a couple of months ago now.

Used the lambs wool mit about half a dozen times now, so far its been really good but today I noticed it was leaving little pieces of wool over my car, is this normal? would it have any potential to damage paintwork?

Also, regarding the terry towelling cloths, does anyone use them on their paint work and glass? I have been having a heap of trouble keeping my glass clean, I have tinted windows on the sides and back. Was cleaning on the them a week or so ago and noticed a scratch that I swear the cloth cause it. could it be possible? They say they are 100% cotton. Most of the AG products like fast glass and srp say use a 100% cotton cloth.

Regards

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Re: megs lambswool mit and terry towelling cotton cloths

How do you wash your lambswool mit and how do you dry it? I rinse mine first and then wash together with my various MF cloths in the washing machine (no fabric softener!!) and then tumbledry. A few loose strands of wool are not going to damage anything.

Terry towels have to a large extent been superceded by microfibres. They used to be pretty much standard for all detailers. I still use a terry towel if I want a bit more "bite" to remove polishes and waxes that are hard to remove. I then finish off with a microfibre.

The best thing for glass is a totally lint free microfibre. I don't know what you have available in Aus but here in SA you can buy a special "glass" microfibre which is extremely smooth and perfect for the job.

It is highly unlightly that you scratched the glass with the cloth but there might have been some grit which was on the cloth. Are you referring to the tinted film on the inside of the glass (aftermarket extra?) or is it the actual glass which has the scratch?
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 16-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

thanks springbok,

yep im pretty sure its on the film so not a real big deal. It may well have always been there and I just happened to notice it that day.

As for drying. I usually rinse out the lambs wool with clean water and air dry.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 17-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi springbok,

after looking back over your post I noticed you said tinted film on the inside of the glass.

I always assumed tinting was applied to outside, Am I wrong? a quick look at some vids online leads me to believe I am.

This also leads to me to think the scratch is on the glass and not the tint. One last question, with regards to glass polish (AG in this case) it states do not use on tinted windows. If the film is applied to the inside of the glass is it safe to use glass polish on the outside?

Sam
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Aftermarket film is applied to the inside.

Thus using glass polish on the outside cannot affect it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
cloths , cotton , lambswool , megs , mit , terry , towelling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page