Pressure Washers - Good or Bad? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 75 Old 12-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Northumberland
Wave Pressure Washers - Good or Bad?

After purchasing a Mito (due to arrive in 3-4 weeks time) I have been stocking up on cleaning and care products for this. (from your advice in previous threads)

I currently use a very cheap pressure washer and I have heard some reviews of pressure washers being bad for your car as they scratch the paintwork etc and hard the paintwork & wax due to the pressure of the water.

As my car was 6plus years old, and the paintwork had the minor scratches anyway, I could not tell if its true what they say about pressure washers or not, all I know is that it got my car very clean, and very quickly...plus I used to spray a good distance from the paintwork and not get up too close. (20inches or so)

So I was just wondering if pressure washers are worth the money, or just to stick with your old fashioned garden hose! For those who think they are good, could you recommend a good (fairly cheap - under £100) pressure washer to buy - with a snow foam gun!

Many thanks in advance, looking forward to your superior knowledge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Pressure Washers - Good or Bad?

Mate using a pressure washer is perfectly fine as long as you keep it a safe distance from what ever your washing with the pressure washer. I honestly don't know why some people have this theory about how pressure washers are bad and how they strip of paint lacquer bla bla bla......

I use the Karcher K2.54MR which works really well at blasting all the heavy dirt and grime before I get stuck in with my two bucket wash method. Hope that helps matey.
(Post Link) post #3 of 75 Old 12-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish159 View Post
Mate using a pressure washer is perfectly fine as long as you keep it a safe distance from what ever your washing with the pressure washer. I honestly don't know why some people have this theory about how pressure washers are bad and how they strip of paint lacquer bla bla bla......

I use the Karcher K2.54MR which works really well at blasting all the heavy dirt and grime before I get stuck in with my two bucket wash method. Hope that helps matey.

Cheers mate, I dont know where the theory has come from, however it did made me think, as obviously I dont want to intentionally scratch me own car when it can be prevented! Karcher seem to be the choice of brands, noticed Halfords have theirs half price, but not sure on their quality from reviews I have heard!
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I can't see them being prone to scratching paintwork. What they can do, if you get too close, is strip paint off and damage tyres. But to be honest, with a household pressure washer, too close would probably be touching the car!
As long as you're sensible with it, there's no worry in my opinion. Better to remove the loose grime and grit with pressurised water than grind it into the paintwork with a sponge!
(Post Link) post #5 of 75 Old 12-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
I can't see them being prone to scratching paintwork. What they can do, if you get too close, is strip paint off and damage tyres. But to be honest, with a household pressure washer, too close would probably be touching the car!
As long as you're sensible with it, there's no worry in my opinion. Better to remove the loose grime and grit with pressurised water than grind it into the paintwork with a sponge!

Thanks for this, its what I thought, alsong as your not stupid and get to close it cant do to much harm. Now will have to find one that has a snow foam attachment it seems from reading other threads!
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS Lusso

The no no to using them is that the pressure from the water impact blasts the dirt particles in then off the laquer. So before the dirt particles are removed they are grazing the laquer which atfer time leads to slight scratches to the laquer.

Also the sudden jet of cold water on a warmer body at high pressure will probable weaken the laquer. My oppinon is they are OK from a safe distance. Personnaly I use a garden hose with a sprinkler attachment so it tends to have a heavy rain effect. This is more than enough to lossen/soften dirt.

TheWizardHunter
--------------------------------------------------------

(Post Link) post #7 of 75 Old 12-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizardhunter View Post
The no no to using them is that the pressure from the water impact blasts the dirt particles in then off the laquer. So before the dirt particles are removed they are grazing the laquer which atfer time leads to slight scratches to the laquer.

Also the sudden jet of cold water on a warmer body at high pressure will probable weaken the laquer. My oppinon is they are OK from a safe distance. Personnaly I use a garden hose with a sprinkler attachment so it tends to have a heavy rain effect. This is more than enough to lossen/soften dirt.
But this I imagine could be avoided if you say snow foamed the car first, left it to soak then use the pressure washer as any dirt would be sofened and loosened off from the foam?

P.S lovely car, love the red leather!
AO Platinum Member

Aye! Don't blast the paint and it'll be fine. You can't scratch the paint with a Pressure Washer.. just de-laminate the top coat if you're too silly with it.

Stay at a distance and don't point the jet perpendicular to the paint.. just at an angle.

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #9 of 75 Old 12-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
Aye! Don't blast the paint and it'll be fine. You can't scratch the paint with a Pressure Washer.. just de-laminate the top coat if you're too silly with it.

Stay at a distance and don't point the jet perpendicular to the paint.. just at an angle.

Ralf S.
Thanks for the advice Ralf, I tend to stand straight at the car about 20inches away or more and swing the jet from side to side, never keeing it still on one part of the paint (my stupid theory of not putting all the pressure on one spot) but I will try the angle method you discribe!
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpoolck View Post
But this I imagine could be avoided if you say snow foamed the car first, left it to soak then use the pressure washer as any dirt would be sofened and loosened off from the foam?

P.S lovely car, love the red leather!
Thanks, All MOMO has Alfa logo embossed on all four seats too

In general using a pressure washer is fine as long as you are using it correctly
(Post Link) post #11 of 75 Old 12-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Cheers for all the advice guys, much appreciated, think I will get myself a nice new pressure washer then! With a foam lancer/gun
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Mito qv

just got a foam lance for the mito and my boat and all i can say is it is supurb makes cleaning fun and easy,use the pressure washer in fan mode and you will be fine.enjoy your car i know i am loving mine
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Ive just had an outside tap fitted and bought the Halfords pressure washer for £35. Its £70 but as you say half bat. Its very small which is ideal for me and is surprisingly powerfull! I have used it once so far and just put it on fan mode to remove surface dust so i could aquawax. This was due to the fact i had spent 5 hours the day before doing the full shebang and it peed down!
Also you need one for snowfoaming anyhow dont you? My one concern is that i need to find out the connection type to see if one of the lances will fit the halfords brand
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...dkey=ClickInfo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29
(Post Link) post #14 of 75 Old 12-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
Ive just had an outside tap fitted and bought the Halfords pressure washer for £35. Its £70 but as you say half bat. Its very small which is ideal for me and is surprisingly powerfull! I have used it once so far and just put it on fan mode to remove surface dust so i could aquawax. This was due to the fact i had spent 5 hours the day before doing the full shebang and it peed down!
Also you need one for snowfoaming anyhow dont you? My one concern is that i need to find out the connection type to see if one of the lances will fit the halfords brand
Halfords HP1400 Pressure Washer from Halfords Was £69.99 Save £35.00 Price £34.99 50 percent Off Halfords Pressure Washers
I was actually looking at the halfords one £35 looks a bargain, might go with that one in the end. I know it wont be as good, but do you not put the detergent bottle on and use that as a "poor mans" snow foam? Would that not do the trick as well?
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

There a 1/2 price on at halfrauds £34 which is ok, as long as you dont hold it right on the paint there fine. Great for wheels and also snow foam.
AO Member

My Kärcher washer came with a few attachments. I use a kind of fan attachment to wash my Alfa, removes the dirt quickly and easily from 18" or so away, but I think the jet attachment is much a more concentrated spray, and I can see that could do some damage if you got too close with it. For what it's worth, the way I do it is spray with plain water all over to remove all the dirt, go over the car with a microfibre mitt and a bucket of water with added Turtlewax shampoo, rinse all over, then if I'm feeling lazy a quick wipe over with AG Aquawax. If I was feeling energetic, I'd do the job properly with AG resin polish, but I've had the car 9 months, and Aquawax does such a good job, that I haven't felt the need to get energetic so far, maybe some time in the next few weeks though.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I was actually looking at the halfords one £35 looks a bargain, might go with that one in the end. I know it wont be as good, but do you not put the detergent bottle on and use that as a "poor mans" snow foam? Would that not do the trick as well?
Thats what im hoping! I havnt had the chance to try the foam/soap attachment yet. Its well worth it if you dont want to spend mega bucks and i bought that one as ive spent a fortune recently on wax etc! Say nowt!
(Post Link) post #18 of 75 Old 12-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullec View Post
There a 1/2 price on at halfrauds £34 which is ok, as long as you dont hold it right on the paint there fine. Great for wheels and also snow foam.
So can you do the snow foam with the halfords one then?
(Post Link) post #19 of 75 Old 12-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayem View Post
My Kärcher washer came with a few attachments. I use a kind of fan attachment to wash my Alfa, removes the dirt quickly and easily from 18" or so away, but I think the jet attachment is much a more concentrated spray, and I can see that could do some damage if you got too close with it. For what it's worth, the way I do it is spray with plain water all over to remove all the dirt, go over the car with a microfibre mitt and a bucket of water with added Turtlewax shampoo, rinse all over, then if I'm feeling lazy a quick wipe over with AG Aquawax. If I was feeling energetic, I'd do the job properly with AG resin polish, but I've had the car 9 months, and Aquawax does such a good job, that I haven't felt the need to get energetic so far, maybe some time in the next few weeks though.
Im off to buy some of that AG Aqua wax at the weekend...3 for 2 at Halfords! Thanks for the advice mate.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

gt

im sure there a lance with a halfords fitting, if not you get a kind of effect with the bottle.
AO Member

Quote:
Im off to buy some of that AG Aqua wax at the weekend...3 for 2 at Halfords! Thanks for the advice mate.
There are several threads here on AG Aquawax, I thought it all sounded too good to be true, but it's really good stuff, close to being a 'miracle product' in fact. I can do my 159 in less than half an hour without rushing, it's easy to use, and the results are quite superb, though probably not terribly long-lasting compared to a proper 'elbow-grease' wax. One pack lasts a surprisingly long time.
(Post Link) post #22 of 75 Old 12-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
im sure there a lance with a halfords fitting, if not you get a kind of effect with the bottle.
Yeah thought you could kind of get a simular but not as good effect with the detergent bottle
AO Silver Member

Quote:
The one i was looking at on Clean your car.co.uk had a drop down list of connections but they werent be manufacturer, they wer by thread type or something.
Aye AG Aquawax is great! Apart from im starting to think it means when i use it i summone water from the bloody sky!! Its rained everytime ive used it lol
(Post Link) post #24 of 75 Old 12-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
The one i was looking at on Clean your car.co.uk had a drop down list of connections but they werent be manufacturer, they wer by thread type or something.
Aye AG Aquawax is great! Apart from im starting to think it means when i use it i summone water from the bloody sky!! Its rained everytime ive used it lol
lol, shame. If you find out if you can connect it would you let me know mate? How much are the attachements about £50 im guessing
AO Silver Member

Quote:
lol, shame. If you find out if you can connect it would you let me know mate? How much are the attachements about £50 im guessing
The lance most use is about that aye. Theres a thread about them on this section. May be on page 2 or 3 now.
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/car-d...-question.html
Sorry the link wont work, its on this page about 4 down.

PS, does anyone know why you cant copy and paste threads off here? It says error 404 all the time for me.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
bad , good , pressure , washers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page