KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, Clay, Claying, Lube etc - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 46 Old 04-05-09 Thread Starter

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, Clay, Claying, Lube etc

I have seen a few posts about claying/lubes and i hopefully can clear a few things up for you.( manicatel )

How do I know if I need to clay?
Run your hand across the surface of your car, paying special attention to the front end and lower panels. If you can detect rough areas or gritty or bumpy spots, your car s paint is contaminated and you need to clay.

What is a Clay Bar?
Clay bars have been used by professional, car enthusiasts and professional detailers for years. Clay bars offer a superior alternative in removing the rough surfaces contaminants that can settle in and on your paint. Our Super Premium bars are non-abrasive and are capable of safely and quickly remove surface contamination, rail dust, industrial fallout and overspray by pulling if off the surface. Claying is a process to decontaminate the paint, and restoring that smooth feeling to your paint.

What can contaminate your vehicle surface?
1. Brake dust - particles produced from the friction of brake pads rubbing against the rotor. This metal on metal friction disperses tiny particles of bare metal into the air and on the highways, freeways and virtually everywhere. Constant movement of vehicle propels it in to the air and dispenses it over the vehicles surface.

2. Industrial fallout - another word for pollution, industrial fallout is a by- product of our surroundings. It comes from industrial businesses and factories as well as diesel vehicles and even airplane fallout.

3. Rail dust - produced from the friction of train wheels against railroad tracks.
Over 75% of new vehicles are shipped by rail. Nearly all new vehicles are contaminated as soon as they leave the factory.

When Should You Clay Bar?
You can clay bar your car as often as you wish or simply prior to waxing or polishing your vehicle. To acquire the best smooth as glass touch and feel result it is ideal to always clay bar your vehicle prior to application of wax, glaze, polish or paint sealant.

How is clay different from polishing or buffing?
Many people have never hear of clay baring because for a while clay bars were only available to professionals. Claying is less abrasive then polishing or buffing the surface. Claying actually pulls out foreign particles and contaminants that have embedded themselves in the paint.

Polishes are intended more to be used as cleaners for paint, such as cleaning the paint, filling swirls and scratches, restoring and maximizing shine by smoothing over sharp edges.

Do I need a clay lubricant?
Yes Yes Yes ! Clay bars absolutely need some kind of lubricant to work correctly. Without lubricant clay bars cannot move freely over the surface and work as intended. Without proper lubrication a clay bar will catch on contaminants, pull them across the surface and possible scratch or mar paint. Clay bars are such intended as to work with proper clay bar lubricants. Clay lubes are formulated to lubricate the surface allowing the clay bars to glide more freely across a surface. Lubricants aid the clay bar in lifting particles and alls the clay bar to move freely from raking roughly across the paint and causing possible scratches.

Can you use soap as a lubricant?
No! Lubricants are formulated to work with the clay bar and will not impact the integrity and cleaning ability of a clay bar. Shampoos and car wash soaps may damage the clay bar leading to deterioration, which in turn will limits its cleaning ability and shorten its life span.

Specially formulated clay lubricants are formulated with uniquely engineered surface lubricants to allow for superior gliding of the clay bar and provide a slippery protective layer that clay bars can safely glide across.

there are 3 different types of clay bars:

1) LIGHT BAR CLAY BAR for regular everyday use. For the Car enthusiast or professional detailer working on higher end vehicles, or new vehicles that need a light bar that will never scratch the surface. This scratch free ultra-flexible elastic bar is a huge favorite that truly works great for all paint finishes.

2) MEDIUM BAR CLAY BAR for light to medium jobs with moderate oxidation that you can really feel. Great for light to medium oxidation, and paint over-spray removal. able to clean 95% of all surfaces and remove environmental fallout to prepare for buffing and waxing.

3) HEAVY_DUTY BAR CLAY BAR use for heavy oxidation where time is the real issue. Great for business professionals that need the surface smooth prior to polish or buffing. Ideal for medium to tough jobs and larger amounts of paint over-spray especially if the over-spray has been on the car for a long time.

I hope that clears a few things up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Damien_C

Re: KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, Clay, Claying, Lube etc

Do clay bars also take off the wax and sealents you may put onto the paint??

0of0

Thanks it does, but one burning question: how is it used

AO Member

County: Essex

Cheers for that chemguy.
Some useful info there.
Matt.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
Do clay bars also take off the wax and sealents you may put onto the paint??
Yes, you need to wax the car after claying it.

USAGE: apply lubricant to the surface and rub the clay on the lubricated surface. Don't use round motion (like when waxing) but with straight lines so that each stroke overlaps slightly the previous.

Very easy to use!
(Post Link) post #6 of 46 Old 04-05-09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Jon View Post
Thanks it does, but one burning question: how is it used

1. Wash vehicle very well to loosen surface dirt. Getting the surface as clean as possible will reduce wear on the clay bar and extend the life of your bar by reducing the amount of contaminants that need to be lifted by the bar.

2. Mist a 2 x2 square foot area generously with Lubricant. Hold the clay bar against the surface and move it back and forth.

3. Surface Eraser Poly Clay will grab the surface initially. This grabbing indicates that the clay is encountering contamination. Continue rubbing gently until the clay glides freely.

4. Wipe each completely section with a micro fiber towel, this process will wipe away contaminates and reduce friction and possible marring of surface through friction.

5.Before moving to the next section, inspect the clay. If it appears soiled, fold the clay and use a clean portion to clean the next section. If you drop the clay or it becomes completely soiled, discard the clay bar and continue with a fresh bar.

5. Once you have clayed the paint, YOU CAN CLAY THE WINDOWS AND ALLOYS AS WELL. Follow the same directions for windows and ALLOYS for windows this will reduce streaking when using your wipers and accelerate water runoff when it rains and alloys will make the surface of your alloy very smooth easy to clean next time (once you have done your alloys please dont put it any where near your paint work ever again)

7. Wash Vehicle again once completed, this will assure that all contaminates that were removed are safely washed off of the surface where they can no longer to hard to paint.

0of0

Thanks again - am slowly paying more attention to the finish & getting a cay bar seems a natural next step

(Post Link) post #8 of 46 Old 04-05-09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks again - am slowly paying more attention to the finish & getting a cay bar seems a natural next step
if you have never done it before, just make sure your car panel is dripping wet with lube/water, and make sure your clay is also well lube`d up....that way u will be making sure u dont get marring from the clay bar.

and when your doing it, pop and old clean towel on the floor under the panel your doing cause first time you will drop the bar we all do but its a mistake u wont make again

and if it does hit the deck the only place for the bar from there on is the binn
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

Actually quite good fun claying unlike hard waxing those last 2 panels of a car
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Brera SV6

If you have had Superguard or Lifeshine applied to your car, does claying remove the previously applied product?
I would be wary of taking off Superguard/Lifeshine as they have a ten year guarantee, whatever that means.
Andy.
(Post Link) post #11 of 46 Old 05-05-09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainey View Post
If you have had Superguard or Lifeshine applied to your car, does claying remove the previously applied product?
I would be wary of taking off Superguard/Lifeshine as they have a ten year guarantee, whatever that means.
Andy.
have u ever taken your car thought a 3 hand job car wash? if so your wax will be stripped anyway, they spray your car with a very strong TFR to remove any road grease, and sadly its that strong it also removes any pre applied wax too.
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire

chemguyuk are u using chemical guys i just got a load of there stuff any tips on using the swurl remover , thanks

Last edited by john147; 05-05-09 at 19:41.
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire

lol maybe your name gives it away just a little bit i feel so silly now,

i got tar bug remover, lubber with clay , cut 7.0, scratch=swirl b-gone, m-seal , ez glaze and hard core paste wax did i but the right stuff as theres so much out the to buy thanx again

Last edited by john147; 05-05-09 at 19:30.
(Post Link) post #14 of 46 Old 05-05-09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john147 View Post
chemguyuk are u using chemical guys i just got a load of there stuff any tips on using the swurl remover , thanks
this has to be better than words.

YouTube - Meguiar's SwirlX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRokM...eature=channel

Last edited by ChemGuyUK; 05-05-09 at 20:43.
(Post Link) post #15 of 46 Old 05-05-09 Thread Starter

Megs how to video

YouTube - How to Clay Bar
0of0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemGuyUK View Post
Megs how to video

YouTube - How to Clay Bar
- how long would you expect a bar to last? (typically, I am aware that there will be different levels of contamination )

(Post Link) post #17 of 46 Old 05-05-09 Thread Starter

Quote:
- how long would you expect a bar to last? (typically, I am aware that there will be different levels of contamination )
answered your own question there buddy, depends on the level of contamination....
0of0

So, worst case could be one use really

Sorry for persisting, I have so far managed to avoid this level of 'detailing' - but feel the need to achieve a better shine now

AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:

Sorry for persisting, I have so far managed to avoid this level of 'detailing' - but feel the need to achieve a better shine now
Yes, but your car would have to REALLY be in a filthy state for a clay bar to only last for one session.

What I sometimes do, (after washing and drying), is firstly give the entire car a wipe down with a paint cleaner. This removes all the really bad tree sap and tar spots etc. Then, when I clay, it goes much faster and smoother, the clay just picking up the bonded contaminants. The clay bar also lasts much longer.
(Post Link) post #20 of 46 Old 06-05-09 Thread Starter

Quote:

dont worry about persisting, im happy to help, as the the post above states, that bar would would be in a bad way before its ready for the bin, i would do mine and the gf car with one car about twice, or as its stated on some bars

CLAY BAR (LIGHT) -A HUGE ELASTIC EVERYDAY USE POLY CLAY BAR ( BIG BAR) - BIG Size does 15-20 cars

does not state the weight of the bar but im sure with a set of kitchen scales u can devide it up into equal bits, i normally brake mine down into 40grams sizes.
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

I got some AG Extra Gloss Protection. Do I apply this after the claying process or after waxing?
AO Platinum Member

EGP is a sealant so it will seal in whatever you have on the paint.

Clay is always the first step (after washing obviously) as you want the bonded contaminants off the paint before you polish it..

Apply a polish (e.g. Super Resin polish) next.. then wax it .. and lastly use the EGP.

Ralf S.
0of0

I can see how some folk spend hours doing this

AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

If you clay, you should definitely polish first before waxing.

Remember clay removes contaminants leaving the surface perfectly prepared for polishing.

It does not make the surface shine
It does not correct swirls or scratches
AO Silver Member

County: -

Quote:
I can see how some folk spend hours doing this
It took me about three hours to clay my car, it was well worth it though. I should have left it for a few weeks because the car is going for a (possibly full) respray

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
clay , claying , knowledge , lube , power

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page