Snow Foam 1st attempt pics - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 03-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex
Snow Foam 1st attempt pics

Hi guys,
After my previous post about snow foaming & foam lances, etc, I said I'd try to post up some pics of my efforts.
Just to be clear, I'm NO car detailer. Job, 3 kids, dog, blah blah blah.
So I'm not going in for "concours" level quality.
I wanted a quick & gentle way to keep my bella looking good before my next commute on the M25.
I bought some BH anto-foam & an Autobrite foam lance to use on my Karcher. Chemguy was a great help in explaining what was what to a newbie like me.
So, how did it go?
Well, 1st I cleaned the wheels, using AG wheel wash.
Here's how it looked before I started. Not really dirty, just about a week or so of road/rain stains.

Then, I gently rinsed the car, & then with about 1" of snow foam mixed with 1ltr of warm water in the lance, I got foaming!

It didn't foam quite as much as I thought it would. It didn't look like shaving foam, like some of the youtube clips I've seen.
I let the foam stay on for about 4 or 5 mins, but it was fairly sunny & it seemed to be drying pretty quickly. So, a gentle jet-wash rinse & repeat, again leaving it on for 4 or 5 minutes max.
Rinsed it off & then whilst wet I applied a quick wipe over with AG Aqua wax using the supplied MF towel.
Pretty quick & very easy.
The results??
Here you go...........................................

Yep, pretty happy with that. Even on a sunny day with a dark coloured car, I think the results are pretty good. I wanted to see if it really worked, so I purposely didn't hand wash the car at all, just to see if the snow foam really does lift away the dirt as advertised.
I think if I really gave the car a good few hours work, adding in a hand wash & proper waxing the results would really look superb.
So yes, it seems to do what it claims. A clean car for very little time/effort & not using a wash-mitt or sponge etc should help keep the paint in better nick for the long term.
As I said, I'm not trying to compete or show off my detailing skills here. I'm a real newbie to all this lark. I just want to find something to keep my GT looking as it should without spending hours & hours on it.
Having said that, whats all this "claying" malarky about?
Matt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
Re: Snow Foam 1st attempt pics

I fancy a go at that like! How much did the gear cost you? I already have a Karcher pressure washer.
AO Member

County: -

Which Karcher do you guys use?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alif View Post
Which Karcher do you guys use?
Dunno, mine's at least 10 years old.
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Thanks for the interesting post.

This could be "controversial" so lets see what everyone else says, but IMHO you should not rely on the snowfoam to lift off the dirt completely. It is only supposed to soften and help to prepare the surface for a normal wash with a mit and two buckets etc.

I think you are running the risk of inducing swirls on the beautiful dark paintwork by snowfoaming and then going straight to the aquawax. You might rub specs of dirt across the surface.

As I said I look forward to other comments.
AO Platinum Member

I used my Gary Gilmore for the first timethis weekend. All the instructions were in "U.S" (dilution oz/gallon) but I think in the end I used a 1:300 ratio of regular car shampoo to water.

Foam was not tooooo great (bearing in mind though that it was car shampoo and not the yet-to-arrive snow foam) but it did a half-way reasonable job of hanging on there. I repeated the processs after 5 minutes to stop the stuff drying out... (despite starting the wash at 7am it was getting sunny/hot already).

When I rinsed it, the foam had taken off a lot of visible dirt and grit (beast had gone over a month without a wash) but it didn't occur to me not to wash it. The water in the "dirty" bucket was a bit cleaner than normal but not by a significant amount.

I would still wash the beast... unless of course the regular snow foam/Karcher combo' gives a better "lift" than my regular car shampoo with Gilmore (lower pressure) did.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #7 of 15 Old 04-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Springbok. I appreciate what you say, but before & as I aquawaxed, I was looking very closely for any residual dirt. It was thoroughly rinsed before waxing & very light pressure applied with minimal buffing.
This method for me is probably a one-off, just to see what snow foam did on its own, with no other cleaning processes to exagerate its effectiveness. In future, I'll definitely snow foam, but probably use it as a quick wash with no waxing afterwards, or as a pre-wash, as a 1st step in cleaning my car.
Thanks for the concern. You are probably right to point it out.
Matt.
Smallville

Your car looks very good fella, nearly spat my tea out as it was that nice

I have never used snow foam before but after seeing the effect it has I might go and buy some and a pressure washer now

What pressure you using mate and what snow foam?

AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Ive suddenly realised a clanger ive dropped in recent weeks. I bought a Halfords Pressure washer last weekend as theyre half price at the mo then started reading oin here about these Snowfoam Lances. From what ive read they wouldnt fit a Halfords gun would they?
(Post Link) post #10 of 15 Old 04-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

I use a Karcher k series washer, a pretty cheap one. The Autobrite lances have a range if different fitting options which you have to choose when buying, so hopefully there will be one to fit most makes of pressure washer.
Matt.
AO Platinum Member

Manicatel, how much did the lance and foam cost and where did you get it from?

im glad u had fun anyway hope my advise helped...and great results...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicatel View Post
Chemguy was a great help in explaining what was what to a newbie like me.

Having said that, whats all this "claying" malarky about?
Matt.
im glad to help...and its looks like u have funn, if u want a bit for foam, tyy popping in a but of shampoo...and claying...well i will make a start... in fact i will open a thread for you...keep your eyes open

so gald u liked it anyway....if u need any more help u know where i am..
(Post Link) post #14 of 15 Old 04-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
Manicatel, how much did the lance and foam cost and where did you get it from?
Hi Roswell.
I got the Bilt Hamber auto foam from here
Ultimate Snow Foam & Accessories

& the lance from here
Autobrite Direct Online Shop - The only answer for your car care supplies

It's the 1st time I've used the sites, but both places gave good & quick service.

Chemguy on here seems to know his stuff & has been very helpful in all this stuff. He's obviously "in the trade" somehow, but I don't know what company he works for. He deserves support for the time & effort he puts into helping numptys like me though! When I find out who he works for, the next time I'm buying car cleaning stuff, his is the 1st site I'll go to. Assuming I right in thinking he's in the trade, that is!
Matt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicatel View Post
Hi Roswell.
I got the Bilt Hamber auto foam from here
Ultimate Snow Foam & Accessories

& the lance from here
Autobrite Direct Online Shop - The only answer for your car care supplies

It's the 1st time I've used the sites, but both places gave good & quick service.

Chemguy on here seems to know his stuff & has been very helpful in all this stuff. He's obviously "in the trade" somehow, but I don't know what company he works for. He deserves support for the time & effort he puts into helping numptys like me though! When I find out who he works for, the next time I'm buying car cleaning stuff, his is the 1st site I'll go to. Assuming I right in thinking he's in the trade, that is!
Matt.

Cheers!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
1st , attempt , foam , pics , snow

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page