Bonnet Scratches - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 03-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Bonnet Scratches

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just-...ml#post2612169
This has become the bain of my life. Bonnet scratches caused by me naively going to a handwash place and payin the price.
The scartches are barely visible unless you look from the right low down at bonnet level but are bugging me so much. Ive tried AG SRP to no avail. For the record the bonnet has water marks on so thats what the the marks are other than the scratches lol. It looks bad in the pic though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
Re: Bonnet Scratches

You could try one of those swirl removers by hand but i'm afraid it will probably need machine polished or even wet sanded, it's hard to tell by looking at pictures.
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 03-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,500RPM View Post
You could try one of those swirl removers by hand but i'm afraid it will probably need machine polished or even wet sanded, it's hard to tell by looking at pictures.
Thanks, if you look at these pics youde never tell lol
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just-...ml#post2612288
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Mate, those swirls are obviously REALLY bugging you so why don't you bite the bullet and get them professionally removed.

You can apply SRP until the cows come home but it aint going to remove them. It will hide them for a while but they WILL return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbok View Post
Mate, those swirls are obviously REALLY bugging you so why don't you bite the bullet and get them professionally removed.

You can apply SRP until the cows come home but it aint going to remove them. It will hide them for a while but they WILL return.
I definitely agree.
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 04-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:

It isnt even hiding them lol. The cars only 5 weeks old and its expensive to get done from what ive seen. Im worried that if i get it done it'll happen again straight away
Its not a viable option at present due to other financial commitments (saving for hols)
TBH its not so much the swirls even though i'd love to get rid of them, its the couple of scratches. I would like to see someone elses black car which is cleaned with the same type of techniques mentioned on here and is swirl and scratch free. Im beginning to think its impossible with black. I do think though that the initial scratches were done by the people at the hand wash at my local Tesco. Big lesson learned there!
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just-...55-veloce.html
It does look nice though i feel..........from a distance. lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philwhittaker/

XBOX LIVE & PS Network: GIZTO29

Last edited by GIZTO29; 04-05-09 at 10:41.
jay w

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZTO29 View Post
It isnt even hiding them lol. The cars only 5 weeks old and its expensive to get done from what ive seen. Im worried that if i get it done it'll happen again straight away
Its not a viable option at present due to other financial commitments (saving for hols)
TBH its not so much the swirls even though i'd love to get rid of them, its the couple of scratches. I would like to see someone elses black car which is cleaned with the same type of techniques mentioned on here and is swirl and scratch free. Im beginning to think its impossible with black. I do think though that the initial scratches were done by the people at the hand wash at my local Tesco. Big lesson learned there!
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just-...55-veloce.html
It does look nice though i feel..........from a distance. lol
can i ask how you are cleaning the car?

I know you have said you used a hand washing place.....

A wollen washmitt is the only think i use on mine now, i spent 2 days polishing mine and getting out 90% of the marks, if you are using a normal sponge then you are most likely contributing to the marks without knowing about it.....

(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 08-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well, the 1st wash was done at Tesco by the Valeting people who are set up there. They look professional and all and do your car while you shop. They scratched the bonnet but i didnt notice it till later that day.
Now ive bought my own stuff i have a Tesco MF Mitt. 2 buckets, 1soap, 1 rinse. I have basically followed S Rossos guide. On my 2nd attempt i decided to AG SRP the car but havnt shifted the light swirls or fine scratches shown in the pictures. They were taken a day after for the record. Im just waiting to have an outside tap fitted so should be more succesfull on making sure the car is totally free of grit on the pre rinse etc before going at it with the AG Body Cond Shampoo. Its not ideal using buckets of water and a snow foam lance is something fo rthe future. I will upgrade the Mitt to a lambswool one asap. I justy need some guidance with the SRP as ive seen peoples result using it.
Thanks Phil
AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

1. You don't have to "upgrade" from a microfibre mitt to a lambswool mit. If anything the microfibre mit is better. Most detailers use MF mits.
2. As I have mentioned earlier and agreed to by other members - you will not get rid of the scratches with SRP. As you are not in a position to have them professionally removed, your only option is to tackle them yourself.

If your finger nail catches in the scratch then it is too deep to correct. From your description this does not sound like the case. You should then be able to get the scratches out with a scratch remover.

The one I use (and yes I know it's not a bl**dy AG product) is called Scratch X and it is made by Meguiars. It is a paste which comes in a large tube and can be applied by hand or with a DA machine. You rub it on the scratch - by hand this is quite a long laborious process - and it is basically abrasive (in old un-PC language it is a compound). Follow up with a polish and a wax and nine times out of ten it does the trick.
(Post Link) post #10 of 10 Old 08-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
1. You don't have to "upgrade" from a microfibre mitt to a lambswool mit. If anything the microfibre mit is better. Most detailers use MF mits.
2. As I have mentioned earlier and agreed to by other members - you will not get rid of the scratches with SRP. As you are not in a position to have them professionally removed, your only option is to tackle them yourself.

If your finger nail catches in the scratch then it is too deep to correct. From your description this does not sound like the case. You should then be able to get the scratches out with a scratch remover.

The one I use (and yes I know it's not a bl**dy AG product) is called Scratch X and it is made by Meguiars. It is a paste which comes in a large tube and can be applied by hand or with a DA machine. You rub it on the scratch - by hand this is quite a long laborious process - and it is basically abrasive (in old un-PC language it is a compound). Follow up with a polish and a wax and nine times out of ten it does the trick.
Thanks for the tips mate. I am aware that the srp wont remove the scratch, just mask it and that would be fine until i get the hol out of the way and have the money for correction.
Thanks Phil

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Car Detailing

Tags
bonnet , scratches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page